Kevin Smith

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
gratefulydead3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gratefulydead3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 pm

BradyT wrote:
gratefulydead3 wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:Smith is the man right now? Maybe if the Lions are your team in Madden right now. :lol:
... I must have missed something. Who is the RB1 in Detroit then?

...who is the no 1 in OAK and WAS and ...? not too exciting what you you will get as your answers...
I don't know, I think the Detroit offense as a whole will be fantasy relevant within the next 2 years. And I don't see them drafting a top tier RB this year, which makes Kevin Smith - or Maurice Morris - a #1 RB on a young and improving offense in a division where you need to be able to run the ball. I didn't think Morris had assumed the starting role just yet, so based solely on that, I'm glad I haven't accepted, but I still think Smith can put up numbers if he fully recovers

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 pm

No go on this deal. Your receivers need more help than your backs, and I really think the Lions come away with a second-day back in the draft*. That coupled with Smith's injury(ies), leaves him without his most valuable asset from the last two years- basically all the touches in that offense. I don't disagree with you that Detroit's O will be fantasy-relevant soon, but I don't see
Smith being the main cog in that relevance anymore.

I don't know that Keller, Dansby and that pick will net you anyone more valuable though so if you're desperate to make a move, go for it. I agree with Skip's take though, shop Keller and the earlier pick around first...

* Two ideas floated today (talk radio mind you, nothing official) were (1) Best at 34 and (2) trading down from 1.2 and drafting Spiller, with maybe Buffalo as the partner targeting Suh. Its no secret the Lions are talking a lot about drafting a back this year, but of course talking and doing aren't the same. Another possibility is Gerhart at 3.2, which I think would mostly kill Smith's value. Too many questions to like Smith's upside right now.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 am

I don't have a lot of faith in Smith, I'd pass.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I'd rather have a retiered Barry Sanders than a broke bleep Kevin Smith. Don't do the trade, keep Keller, and use that 3rd pick on something else. Depth never hurts, and I would not sacrifice Good TE and LB depth for a buster like Smith.

M357's
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby M357's » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:47 pm

gratefulydead3 wrote:
BradyT wrote:
gratefulydead3 wrote: ... I must have missed something. Who is the RB1 in Detroit then?

...who is the no 1 in OAK and WAS and ...? not too exciting what you you will get as your answers...
I don't know, I think the Detroit offense as a whole will be fantasy relevant within the next 2 years. And I don't see them drafting a top tier RB this year, which makes Kevin Smith - or Maurice Morris - a #1 RB on a young and improving offense in a division where you need to be able to run the ball. I didn't think Morris had assumed the starting role just yet, so based solely on that, I'm glad I haven't accepted, but I still think Smith can put up numbers if he fully recovers
I agree with this...M.Morris?? please. C.Peerman is better than him and can help hold down the fort til Smith is healthy. If you have an opportunity to be patient with Smith by all means do the trade. Im among those that will wait on Smith thru this time.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:12 am

There's a definite crew of players that if I was considering trading for, I'd wait until after the draft:

Slaton
Forsett
Kevin Smith

Any of those guys could likely be devalued greatly come draft day. I've seen their owners try to offer them up at their pre-2010 draft value, they're obviously hoping to send them away before the devaluing happens.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:43 am

gratefulydead3 wrote:
MonkeyOne wrote:I don't like it either, Smith's situation looks a mess.
Tell me how he's a worse option than Forte? His PPG average is better than Forte and as of now he's still the top guy in Detroit

They are both terrible - forte and smith...get rid of them both. Its always good to have 3 decent LB's just in case. You may be able to find someone else that will give you for for Smith...but thats up to you. The problem is we dont know if the lions are going to trade for a back or draft one, or add another one at all. I'd say chances are they do so its best to deal him ASAP....so try and send some more feelers out to see what else you can get, and how much resistance you receive, and if you cant get much of anything, and the resistance is too high then just fall back on this deal.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
gratefulydead3 wrote:
MonkeyOne wrote:I don't like it either, Smith's situation looks a mess.
Tell me how he's a worse option than Forte? His PPG average is better than Forte and as of now he's still the top guy in Detroit

They are both terrible - forte and smith...get rid of them both. Its always good to have 3 decent LB's just in case. You may be able to find someone else that will give you for for Smith...but thats up to you. The problem is we dont know if the lions are going to trade for a back or draft one, or add another one at all. I'd say chances are they do so its best to deal him ASAP....so try and send some more feelers out to see what else you can get, and how much resistance you receive, and if you cant get much of anything, and the resistance is too high then just fall back on this deal.
its going to be very hard to move smith unless you give him away... you have to hope detroit doesnt draft another RB in the early rounds... if they dont his value will rise, and he will be relevant again... if they do, his value falls through the floor unless he somehow gets carries.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
gratefulydead3 wrote: Tell me how he's a worse option than Forte? His PPG average is better than Forte and as of now he's still the top guy in Detroit

its going to be very hard to move smith unless you give him away... you have to hope detroit doesnt draft another RB in the early rounds... if they dont his value will rise, and he will be relevant again... if they do, his value falls through the floor unless he somehow gets carries.
That and or trade for one. If you're going to sell Smith you better get a move on. He might get you some sort of draft pick. Better then nothing later.