SuperFlex startup next two picks

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: SuperFlex startup next two picks

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:53 am

looks like a great start and solid picks there i think jameson is gonna be a stud
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 am

abloom wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:09 am
Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:06 am We looked to acquire the most value at each pick and take shots on some talented players that might gain significant value over the next year or two.

The top QBs were off the board by pick 12/13, as were Chase, Jefferson, Lamb, Najee, and JT so we took elite options at TE and RB in Pitts/Javonte.

At 36/37 a second batch of QBs were gone (Stafford fell a bit) and then we picked up Higgins, who's valued as high as 12th overall in KTC.

At 60/61 we took Hollywood because my friend is a big believer and Walker because he fell ~15 spots, and was the last young, workhorse RB that had the potential to gain a lot of value fast.

At 86/87, we just drafted Kirk Cousins and Jameson Williams as Garrett Wilson was taken 1 spot before.

Also, no options to trade back, the entire league wanted to do that, and no smart owner is forgoing their future in a dynasty startup...
So here is the problem. Saying draft BPA during a rookie draft is good process, because you really only care about hitting your rookies. Drafting BPA for startups is not good process, you should be drafting the best player for your team build. The reason for this is two fold:

(1) since everyone has a pick every round the relative values of the players is established as the draft happens. Being able to flip the BPA for a player 1-2 rounds earlier is not likely to happen.

(2) if you draft a team that is not consistently built you will likely be a middle of the road team, which is the worst type of team. Not good enough to win, not crappy enough to get a good pick.
Good explanation. Well said.

I did a startup and it’s been 4 years ago. Players are finally starting to move to their actual adp instead of where they were taken in the draft. Especially qbs. The teams that didn’t have qb depth or studs but we’re getting by with OBJ, Julio, Barkley and Cook and Zeke are starting to struggle now. And like the above poster said, you might think why don’t they trade but player values where somewhat established during startup and take time to settle into accepted ADPs.

I took 6 qbs in our startup. They just kept falling. But I did get a little impatient with them in first couple years and didn’t get full value because no one believed in their value or they would have picked them.

All in all get qbs early, the value is there but hard to see during the first few years. After that decide how you want to build the team. That’s my experience atleast.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Samhain34
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Samhain34 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:05 am

I think you got the right guy in Cousins, though I have zero idea how he was available in the 8th in a SF startup. Is the QB scoring really low in your league?

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 am
Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:06 am We looked to acquire the most value at each pick and take shots on some talented players that might gain significant value over the next year or two.

The top QBs were off the board by pick 12/13, as were Chase, Jefferson, Lamb, Najee, and JT so we took elite options at TE and RB in Pitts/Javonte.

At 36/37 a second batch of QBs were gone (Stafford fell a bit) and then we picked up Higgins, who's valued as high as 12th overall in KTC.

At 60/61 we took Hollywood because my friend is a big believer and Walker because he fell ~15 spots, and was the last young, workhorse RB that had the potential to gain a lot of value fast.

At 86/87, we just drafted Kirk Cousins and Jameson Williams as Garrett Wilson was taken 1 spot before.

Also, no options to trade back, the entire league wanted to do that, and no smart owner is forgoing their future in a dynasty startup...
So here is the problem. Saying draft BPA during a rookie draft is good process, because you really only care about hitting your rookies. Drafting BPA for startups is not good process, you should be drafting the best player for your team build. The reason for this is two fold:

(1) since everyone has a pick every round the relative values of the players is established as the draft happens. Being able to flip the BPA for a player 1-2 rounds earlier is not likely to happen.

(2) if you draft a team that is not consistently built you will likely be a middle of the road team, which is the worst type of team. Not good enough to win, not crappy enough to get a good pick.

I did a startup and it’s been 4 years ago. Players are finally starting to move to their actual adp instead of where they were taken in the draft. Especially qbs. The teams that didn’t have qb depth or studs but we’re getting by with OBJ, Julio, Barkley and Cook and Zeke are starting to struggle now. And like the above poster said, you might think why don’t they trade but player values where somewhat established during startup and take time to settle into accepted ADPs.

I took 6 qbs in our startup. They just kept falling. But I did get a little impatient with them in first couple years and didn’t get full value because no one believed in their value or they would have picked them.

All in all get qbs early, the value is there but hard to see during the first few years. After that decide how you want to build the team. That’s my experience atleast.
Some fair points for sure, but my experience has been starkly different. I’ve never played in a league where trade value is established during startup and then maintained for years after and honestly that just seems like bad process.

Any good dynasty owner should have some relative sense of what “consensus” rankings are and make moves based on that + their own individual beliefs in how talented/likely to succeed a player is.

Being able to flip the BPA for a player 1-2 rounds earlier is not likely to happen.

Also not sure I follow this. Sure, it won’t happen now, but during the year it definitely can/will happen.

As an example, if Jameson Williams and Ken Walker ball this year they’ll both be top 20 dynasty assets. Happens every year.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 am

Samhain34 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:05 am I think you got the right guy in Cousins, though I have zero idea how he was available in the 8th in a SF startup. Is the QB scoring really low in your league?
Yes I think it’s slightly lower based on what he told me. But it’s also a deep starting format, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (1 is SF).
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:57 am

Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am
SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 am

Some fair points for sure, but my experience has been starkly different. I’ve never played in a league where trade value is established during startup and then maintained for years after and honestly that just seems like bad process.

Any good dynasty owner should have some relative sense of what “consensus” rankings are and make moves based on that + their own individual beliefs in how talented/likely to succeed a player is.

Being able to flip the BPA for a player 1-2 rounds earlier is not likely to happen.

Also not sure I follow this. Sure, it won’t happen now, but during the year it definitely can/will happen.

As an example, if Jameson Williams and Ken Walker ball this year they’ll both be top 20 dynasty assets. Happens every year.
If they ball out this year you will be a middle of the road team, since your young wrs won't be balling out. You then need to hope that someone pays big for a 3rd year RB, that will then get you what? More draft picks to draft more young wrs?

I didn't say value at draft determines value indefinitely but it does for the first year or atleast the first part of the year.

I'm also not saying that you can't flip rbs for players I'm saying why take extra steps? Either go young wr/QB or go heavier with rbs and vet QB/wr. It just is not good process to go rb and young QB/wr. You also are relying on the RB not getting injured. Considering the rate of inuries at the position again it's something just to be avoided.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,