2023 Week 1

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2023 Week 1

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:42 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:37 pm Rookie WR Snap Share Leaders in Week 1:

Michael Wilson 90%
Jonathan Mingo 87%
Zay Flowers 84%
Josh Downs 79%
Puka Nacua 78%
Kayshon Boutte 69%
Dontayvion Wicks 62%
Jaxon Smith-Njigba 59%
Jordan Addison 56%
Jayden Reed 53%
Interesting that this rookie class was killed for lacking WR depth but 10 WRs started out playing significant (50%+) snaps in Week 1.

And that's without Johnston, Rice, Hyatt and Mims.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:45 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:21 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:48 pm There goes Wilson’s value.
Why? He’s a total stud. We don’t know if Rodgers was beginning a decline or not. We don’t know if the jets are actually going to stick with Zach Wilson. We do know Garrett is a total stud who is gonna get loaded with targets by any QB.
Because Zach Wilson is apparently the only person on the planet who can’t figure out Wilson is a stud. Look at Garrett’s numbers last year with Zach as his QB vs those with any QB not named Zach. It’s quite a contrast and we saw the same thing last night. The upside right now is solid WR2 numbers.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:42 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:37 pm Rookie WR Snap Share Leaders in Week 1:

Michael Wilson 90%
Jonathan Mingo 87%
Zay Flowers 84%
Josh Downs 79%
Puka Nacua 78%
Kayshon Boutte 69%
Dontayvion Wicks 62%
Jaxon Smith-Njigba 59%
Jordan Addison 56%
Jayden Reed 53%
Interesting that this rookie class was killed for lacking WR depth but 10 WRs started out playing significant (50%+) snaps in Week 1.

And that's without Johnston, Rice, Hyatt and Mims.
💯 Pop Douglas showed well too at 42%
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:53 pm

I feel the need to make a confession. I am responsible for what happened to Rodgers last night. I’m in Vegas for a convention and dropped a 2 team parlay pairing G Wilson over 5.5 catches and over 67.5 receiving yards. Those both just looked like easy money - right up until Rodgers’ first snap.

Please accept my humblest apologies and know that there was no ill intent behind my action.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:07 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:53 pm I feel the need to make a confession. I am responsible for what happened to Rodgers last night. I’m in Vegas for a convention and dropped a 2 team parlay pairing G Wilson over 5.5 catches and over 67.5 receiving yards. Those both just looked like easy money - right up until Rodgers’ first snap.

Please accept my humblest apologies and know that there was no ill intent behind my action.
How much did you lose? WAS IT WORTH IT!??!!

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:11 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:53 pm I feel the need to make a confession. I am responsible for what happened to Rodgers last night. I’m in Vegas for a convention and dropped a 2 team parlay pairing G Wilson over 5.5 catches and over 67.5 receiving yards. Those both just looked like easy money - right up until Rodgers’ first snap.

Your bravery has inspired me to come forward. I also placed a parlay including Wilson receiving yards. I also separately paired Bills ML with the over 43.5 🤢. Luckily I got so annoyed that I took Jets live ML at crazy odds before they came back and won. Really salvaged the night. Imagine betting ZW would beat Josh Allen and it paying off.
Team:14 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR Unlimited Keepers 2IR
Starting Reqs: 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1WRT 1K 1Def
QB - Mahomes, Caleb Williams
RB - Bijan, Najee, Mostert, Chase Brown, Jaylen Wright, T. Tracy
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, Odunze, JSN, Jameson Williams, Downs, QJ, Pearsall
TE - Andrews, Kelce, Bowers
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2025 1st, 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd
2027 1st, 2nd, 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:14 pm

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/statu ... 9946220651

The Bills really should have kept Daboll. It was obvious he was the guy to keep. This is astounding.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:14 pm https://twitter.com/getnickwright/statu ... 9946220651

The Bills really should have kept Daboll. It was obvious he was the guy to keep. This is astounding.
This again. :lol:

As one of the Giants faithful, I thank the Bills for their service.

But seriously FF - apart from taking another lap on it - isn't this just the way the NFL works?

I struggle to think of a historical corollary of a dominant back-to-back-to-back playoff team firing their HC, specifically in favour of the subordinate. Perhaps it's happened in the past, and I would value the education on that front - but without a doubt, it is a rare scenario.

The Bills - with Daboll:

2018 - 6-10
2019 - 10-6 // 2nd in the AFC East, wild card loss @ Texans
2020 - 13-3 // 1st in the AFC East, AFC Championship Round loss to the Chiefs
2021 - 11-6 // 1st in the AFC East, with the Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs

... and then he leaves for Big Blue.

At what point were the Bills decision makers supposed to tell themselves a story - that the massive strides they had seen from Josh Allen were actually because of the OC, and not the player himself? Or the added supporting cast? And that the status quo needed to be up-ended for the betterment of the team? That's typically not how it works - you attempt to keep a winning formula, as best as you can.

It's a nice story to tell ourselves now, in retrospect - because hindsight is great like that.

But pretending that they should have known better to do otherwise in that specific moment is as reductive as suggesting Kyle Shannahan should have demoted himself down to OC and made Mike McDaniel the Head Coach in order to keep him in-house.

It's just not how the league works.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:10 pm

mild wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:14 pm https://twitter.com/getnickwright/statu ... 9946220651

But seriously FF - apart from taking another lap on it - isn't this just the way the NFL works?

I struggle to think of a historical corollary of a dominant back-to-back-to-back playoff team firing their HC, specifically in favour of the subordinate. Perhaps it's happened in the past, and I would value the education on that front - but without a doubt, it is a rare scenario.

The Bills - with Daboll:

2018 - 6-10
2021 - 11-6 // 1st in the AFC East, with the Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs

At what point were the Bills decision makers supposed to tell themselves a story - that the massive strides they had seen from Josh Allen were actually because of the OC, and not the player himself? Or the added supporting cast? And that the status quo needed to be up-ended for the betterment of the team? That's typically not how it works - you attempt to keep a winning formula, as best as you can.

It's a nice story to tell ourselves now, in retrospect - because hindsight is great like that.

But pretending that they should have known better to do otherwise in that specific moment is as reductive as suggesting Kyle Shannahan should have demoted himself down to OC and made Mike McDaniel the Head Coach in order to keep him in-house.

I think it's a potentially championship altering decision, did at the time. I thought that handling of the game vs the Chiefs gave the Bills an out, for their fan base, too. Had McDermott not bottled that, it would have been a lot harder to sell, but I think it truly was a catastrophic decision for their franchise.

Hindsight wasn't needed IMO. You tie the QB you're basing your franchise's hopes on, to the guy who he developed with and helped take him to incredible heights., over the guy who was a Defensive head coach that allowed that debacle to end their SB hopes after Allen's Superman like efforts (oh, and a Gabe Davis career game).

I disagree here, I think it was always the play, but I did back then too. I'm not trying to victory lap, so much as say it's really a decision that has a major impact on the Bills chances at a title, and Allen, though his FF numbers are still there, just has not been the same guy since Daboll left. That chemistry was too good to break up, it was a big time error. It would have been a tough thing to do, but it would have been the right thing, and the fact they blew that game like that with the coach being a Defensive guy was the out that was needed, but oh well. I won't de-rail it further, but what an atrocious performance from what we've come to expect from Allen.

2 years on, it seems he's this generations Favre, I just don't know if a SB is in the cards, but time will tell.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:19 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:10 pm I disagree here, I think it was always the play, but I did back then too. I'm not trying to victory lap, so much as say it's really a decision that has a major impact on the Bills chances at a title, and Allen, though his FF numbers are still there, just has not been the same guy since Daboll left. That chemistry was too good to break up, it was a big time error. It would have been a tough thing to do, but it would have been the right thing, and the fact they blew that game like that with the coach being a Defensive guy was the out that was needed, but oh well. I won't de-rail it further, but what an atrocious performance from what we've come to expect from Allen.

2 years on, it seems he's this generations Favre, I just don't know if a SB is in the cards, but time will tell.
I don't disagree with anything you're posting here FF. It's obvious that they now wish they never let Daboll go. Hands down, wrap it up, we're done here. Zero argument.

I'm just saying - when has an NFL team EVER done this - especially in this scenario?

I can't think of one time.

(I suppose a close one in recent history might be the Eagles firing Doug and then re-hiring his escaped 2IC off of Indy in Sirianni? But even then, they had an interim disaster year with Carson Wentz first to force the move)

And with the conservative nature of your typical NFL GM - particularly as it pertains to personnel decisions on a dominant playoff team - not rocking the institutional boat is pretty par for the course, especially as it concerns your Head Coach.

It's just not what they do.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:21 pm

mild wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 pm

The Bills - with Daboll:

2018 - 6-10

Not quite the same, but a few years back the Raiders just came off a 12-4 season where the offense was doing well. They fired their OC Bill Musgrave and promoted Todd Downing because they were afraid Downing would take a promotion somewhere else. The following year, both Del Rio and Downing were sent packing in favour of Gruden. Downing got another shot in Tennessee a few years later and was fired after two seasons. Musgrave went to Denver and failed there as well, so maybe there was no right answer, but still not sure what the team saw in Downing.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:41 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:21 pm Not quite the same, but a few years back the Raiders just came off a 12-4 season where the offense was doing well. They fired their OC Bill Musgrave and promoted Todd Downing because they were afraid Downing would take a promotion somewhere else. The following year, both Del Rio and Downing were sent packing in favour of Gruden. Downing got another shot in Tennessee a few years later and was fired after two seasons. Musgrave went to Denver and failed there as well, so maybe there was no right answer, but still not sure what the team saw in Downing.
Some good history there - but as you say, not even close to the same.

I want a Head Coach being fired on a two-time Division Winner in favour of his OC.

It just doesn't happen.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:02 am

mild wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:31 pm Lol, I do wish you guys luck with that.

Ferguson looks to be getting the first shot - by a considerable margin.
lol, no shite sherlock, his competition is a guy he was already in front of, and a rookie that missed considerable time in camp. of course he's getting first shot by a large margin.

doesn't mean he's better than average, which is what he's shown so far. his appeal was his situation more than his talent, so an underwhelming performance shouldn't really come as a big surprise.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:02 am
mild wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:31 pm Lol, I do wish you guys luck with that.

Ferguson looks to be getting the first shot - by a considerable margin.
lol, no shite sherlock, his competition is a guy he was already in front of, and a rookie that missed considerable time in camp. of course he's getting first shot by a large margin.

doesn't mean he's better than average, which is what he's shown so far. his appeal was his situation more than his talent, so an underwhelming performance shouldn't really come as a big surprise.
You're such a nice young man with polite points to make.

So you're saying Jake "Ferg Daddy" Ferguson out-snapping his other, more mediocre teammates - by a wide margin - was actually not a good thing, but in fact - a bad thing? Interesting. Very interesting.

You mentioned the opportunity being the draw. It'll have me going back to the Ferg Daddy well every week if this is how it's going to look:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:57 am

mild wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 amSo you're saying Jake "Ferg Daddy" Ferguson out-snapping his other, more mediocre teammates - by a wide margin -
You're making it very difficult for me to decide who starts week 2 on one of my teams: Ferguson or Musgrave?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock