Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
spider321
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

Postby spider321 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:03 am

Ice wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:56 am
spider321 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:40 am Anyone know why Spiller isn't getting a chance to even be active on game days? The Chargers cannot run the ball, at all. As a team, they have a total of 258 rushing yards in 4 games, and a terrible 2.7 yards per carry.

Spiller may not be the answer, but why not find out?
He is a JAG and they know it. He can't even win in practice that's why.
...and Sony Michel isn't even a JAG anymore. Why not see if Spiller can take the handoff, and just fall forward? Surely, if he can do that, he'd average more than Michel's 2.6 ypc.
12 Team Standard Dynasty - QB, RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, 3IDP (WR and TE are the same)

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence
RB - Bijan Robinson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard. Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Rachaad White, D'Andre Swift
WR - Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Kyle Pitts, George Pickens, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney
K - Daniel Carlson
IDP - Nick Bolton, Devin White, Derwin James

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 am

spider321 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:03 am
Ice wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:56 am
spider321 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:40 am Anyone know why Spiller isn't getting a chance to even be active on game days? The Chargers cannot run the ball, at all. As a team, they have a total of 258 rushing yards in 4 games, and a terrible 2.7 yards per carry.

He is a JAG and they know it. He can't even win in practice that's why.
...and Sony Michel isn't even a JAG anymore. Why not see if Spiller can take the handoff, and just fall forward? Surely, if he can do that, he'd average more than Michel's 2.6 ypc.
Spiller could look so bad that they are confident he can’t just fall forward

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:57 am

He was dropped in one of my leagues and to be honest, I didn't bother trying to get him. Would've meant dropping Warren or Shakir probably.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 pm

spider321 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:55 am
frerichs5 wrote:

They see him everyday in practice. We don’t. Have to assume they see something they don’t like, or simply believe the other guys are better.
That would be an acceptable answer, if the results through the first month were not so pitiful. I'm not saying Spiller should start, but obviously, what they are doing is not working.

I am reminded of the saying about the definition of insanity.
If the line is the problem, changing the running backs doesn’t really fix anything. They have a new guard and a new tackle and one of their tackles just hit the IR. It could be that the coaching staff feel that the line just needs more time to gel and that the running back production is a result of poor line play rather than poor running back play.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:49 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 pm
spider321 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:55 am
frerichs5 wrote:

They see him everyday in practice. We don’t. Have to assume they see something they don’t like, or simply believe the other guys are better.
That would be an acceptable answer, if the results through the first month were not so pitiful. I'm not saying Spiller should start, but obviously, what they are doing is not working.

I am reminded of the saying about the definition of insanity.
If the line is the problem, changing the running backs doesn’t really fix anything. They have a new guard and a new tackle and one of their tackles just hit the IR. It could be that the coaching staff feel that the line just needs more time to gel and that the running back production is a result of poor line play rather than poor running back play.
Yep. Especially not one like Spiller. FF owners tend to blame coaches, but the reason for the players not playing is usually pretty straight forward. I never saw the appeal of Spiller. I mean, I know what people say his appeal is, I just never saw it.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Austin Ekeler did just set a career high in rushing today; 16 carries 173 yards plus a rushing TD 10.8 YPC.

J. Kelly ran it 10 times for 49 yards plus a TD at a 4.9 YPC clip.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:55 pm Austin Ekeler did just set a career high in rushing today; 16 carries 173 yards plus a rushing TD 10.8 YPC.

Yes, but what did Sony Michel do? :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 pm
Ice wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:55 pm Austin Ekeler did just set a career high in rushing today; 16 carries 173 yards plus a rushing TD 10.8 YPC.

That stud got 1 carry and would have had 1 yard rushing if he wasn't tackled for no gain! :thumbup:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:28 pm

And Michel went for zero yards on one carry. He was always the one I couldn’t understand continuing to get run. Kelly had good numbers for the year as a whole and the team had no reason to bail on Ekeler knowing what he’s capable of. It just baffled me that the team would dedicate four roster spots to the running back position and decide that Sony Michel was a guy they should have in one of those spots.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:30 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:28 pm

And Michel went for zero yards on one carry. He was always the one I couldn’t understand continuing to get run. Kelly had good numbers for the year as a whole and the team had no reason to bail on Ekeler knowing what he’s capable of. It just baffled me that the team would dedicate four roster spots to the running back position and decide that Sony Michel was a guy they should have in one of those spots.
He said that in the last post.
Janiel Dones Truther

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:48 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:30 pm

Yes, I started a replace and the walked away to put the kid to bed when he wrote that. I felt the rest of my post was still relevant so posted anyways.

K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:03 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:48 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:30 pm

Yes, I started a replace and the walked away to put the kid to bed when he wrote that. I felt the rest of my post was still relevant so posted anyways.
All good. Just wasn't sure if you saw it.
Janiel Dones Truther

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:15 pm

40th percentile BMI with 4.69 40yd time....

He's undersized AND he's slow. This isn't WR it's RB. Athletics matter. You never should have drafted him.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:16 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 pm

:lol:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:07 am

Anteaters wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:59 am

I think they will later in the season. Right now they're 2-2, still dreaming of a big season, and understandably assume their mega$ RB is the one to lead the way. If the record slides too far away from contention or if Ekeler starts to look terrible, the Chargers will roll out Spiller and see what they have.
A Charger's big season is 9 and 8.

Nobody knows if this guy is any good until he suits up in a real game and has some runs. He will get his chance sooner or later.