Brees next?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Brees next?

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:33 am

NFL total access reporting that the Saints have put Brees on the block. I'm sure he'll draw interest.

Who needs a QB and is a QB away from doin damage?

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Brees next?

Postby general mills » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:36 am

Brees for RG3 & Cousins package deal. Good for the Saints both are FA next season. NBA style to clear cap space.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:37 am

Texans and Rams make the most sense to me, but they are both already making moves at QB so.. tough to say.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:39 am

Jets and Bills came to mind for me. The Bills did just sign Cassel though.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:Jets and Bills came to mind for me. The Bills did just sign Cassel though.
As a Sammy owner the Bills would be awesome. Doubt it happens though as Bills would have to restructure his contract to make room for his huge cap hit.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 am

This is not the type of move a team makes on a whim. If the Saints are truly looking to move Brees, I would think they would have let teams know long before now when several teams have already made moves for QBs. Seems strange.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 am

PierreThePainter wrote:
BuckeyeNation wrote:Jets and Bills came to mind for me. The Bills did just sign Cassel though.
As a Sammy owner the Bills would be awesome. Doubt it happens though as Bills would have to restructure his contract to make room for his huge cap hit.
I considered them as well, the Jets, too, but I took them out of the running due to the large contracts both teams have just thrown out - I don't think they can handle the cap hit.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

bjorklunde
All Pro
All Pro

Postby bjorklunde » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 am

Bengals anybody? Saints get a young QB (plus a piece I assume) with a relatively cheap contract. Bengals get a HoF QB to make a run and actually win a playoff game. Makes sense to me. Unllikely, but wouldn't be all that surprising.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:07 am

There's little to no way the Saints trade away Brees IMO. They just incurred a $9 million salary cap hit (dead money) due to trading away Jimmy Graham. If they trade away Brees they will take another $14.8 million dollar hit to their salary cap due to his contract.

Source: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints/

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:24 am

Jets have cap space and are likely a QB away from being a playoff team. Not sure what they'd have to give up but with Brees, Marshall, Decker on offense and Richardson, Wilkerson, and Revis on defense they could do some serious damage.

Not sure what the Saints would be looking for though.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 am

My bet is this is all just rumor. Proven Franchise QB's do not just get traded.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2-3, WR 3-4, TE 1

QB - CJ Stroud, Justin Fields, Matthew Stafford
RB - Breece Hall, Zach Charbonnet, Dameon Pierce, D'Onta Foreman, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Christian Watson, Jameson Williams, Michael Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marquise Brown
TE - Cole Kmet, Luke Schoonmaker, Darren Waller, Jelani Woods
Picks - 1.02, 1.09, 2.02, 4.02 -- All 2025 Picks

bjorklunde
All Pro
All Pro

Postby bjorklunde » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 am

Well the Jets are out. Looks like they are trading for Fitzpatrick.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am

IBall2 wrote:There's little to no way the Saints trade away Brees IMO. They just incurred a $9 million salary cap hit (dead money) due to trading away Jimmy Graham. If they trade away Brees they will take another $14.8 million dollar hit to their salary cap due to his contract.

Source: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints/
Wow, just looked at this and you're absolutely right. Although the Graham deal was batcrap insane too. Looking at their cap they are in for a LONG rebuild period when Brees hangs them up. What valuable assets do they have under control for decent money? Vaccaro, Cooks, Stills. Anyone else? And I thought my Patriots were going to have a hangover when Brady left but we have a cake walk compared to the Saints.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 am

If they trade Brees, their 2015 salary cap # actually GOES UP by $7 mil, because of the dead money he would leave behind. Even though Graham left behind $9 in dead money, they still had a $ 2 cap SAVINGS on his trade. They are currently $3 mil over the cap as it is, so essentially if they traded Brees, they would need to cut $10 mil just get back to even. So this also means that they would not be able to take any players back in a deal for Brees (i.e Dalton as suggested above).. and if they did they would need to cut even more players to fit that salary in

I don't see them trading Brees for these reasons. Honestly the only way they could do it was if they got a major haul of draft picks and then cut all the aging veterans on the team like Colston, J Evans, etc .... and basiscally just started over with scraps

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:05 am

Detroitcity wrote:If they trade Brees, their 2015 salary cap # actually GOES UP by $7 mil, because of the dead money he would leave behind. Even though Graham left behind $9 in dead money, they still had a $ 2 cap SAVINGS on his trade. They are currently $3 mil over the cap as it is, so essentially if they traded Brees, they would need to cut $10 mil just get back to even. So this also means that they would not be able to take any players back in a deal for Brees (i.e Dalton as suggested above).. and if they did they would need to cut even more players to fit that salary in

I don't see them trading Brees for these reasons. Honestly the only way they could do it was if they got a major haul of draft picks and then cut all the aging veterans on the team like Colston, J Evans, etc .... and basiscally just started over with scraps
I think it's unlikely as well but the 33 mil dead money number that would take the salary cap up 7 mil is if he was cut. If he was traded, overthecap.com reports a savings of 11.6 mil:
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints/

When you think of it in that terms I suppose there is at least a small motivation for the Saints to deal him but still unlikely.