Pre-Combine WR Board

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Pre-Combine WR Board

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:01 am

Posting my pre-combine WR board for productive discussion and feedback.
Thanks!

1. Amari Cooper
2. Dorial Green-Beckham
3. DeVante Parker
4. Kevin White
5. Devin Funchess
6. Jaelen Strong
7. Breshad Perriman
8. Justin Hardy
9. Sammie Coates
10. DeVante Davis
11. Nelson Agholor
12. Rashad Greene
13. Stefon Diggs
14. Jamison Crowder
15. Deontay Greenberry
16. Tyler Lockett
17. Vince Mayle
18. Kasen Williams
19. Ty Montgomery
20. Devin Smith
21. Titus Davis
22. Phillip Dorsett
23. Antwan Goodley
24. Austin Hill
25. DeAndre Smelter

-DynoScout

captain_insano
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Pre-Combine WR Board

Postby captain_insano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:39 am

Nice list and the one for rb too. I really want to see some footage of Agholor but I haven't been able to access the one game they have on draft break down.

captain_insano
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby captain_insano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 am

Well now I can access it and there's two games.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:08 pm

What do you think of Tre McBride? He looks pretty good at the Shrine game, particularly his route running. I haven't had a chance to scout the WR class enough yet to formulate my rankings but I think he might be in my top 15 at this point. I do have my top 5 pretty much set.

1) Devante Parker
2) Amari Cooper
3) Kevin White
4) DGB
5) Sammie Coates

I have Funchess as a TE but would put him ahead of Coates if I felt his future was at WR.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:09 pm

captain_insano wrote:Nice list and the one for rb too. I really want to see some footage of Agholor but I haven't been able to access the one game they have on draft break down.
Thanks.
Agree that there are a few, Agholor included, that I'm looking forward to learning more about as the process unfolds. It would be nice if that included more game cutups at draftbreakdown.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:13 pm

RightlegTucker wrote:What do you think of Tre McBride? He looks pretty good at the Shrine game, particularly his route running. I haven't had a chance to scout the WR class enough yet to formulate my rankings but I think he might be in my top 15 at this point. I do have my top 5 pretty much set.

1) Devante Parker
2) Amari Cooper
3) Kevin White
4) DGB
5) Sammie Coates

I have Funchess as a TE but would put him ahead of Coates if I felt his future was at WR.
I didn't see enough of McBride to rank him. I'm interested based on recent buzz and how he stood out at shrine week. Excited to learn more about him.

What are your thoughts regarding Jaelen Strong? Care to share your reasoning for Coates>Strong?

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 pm

DynoScout wrote:
RightlegTucker wrote:What do you think of Tre McBride? He looks pretty good at the Shrine game, particularly his route running. I haven't had a chance to scout the WR class enough yet to formulate my rankings but I think he might be in my top 15 at this point. I do have my top 5 pretty much set.

1) Devante Parker
2) Amari Cooper
3) Kevin White
4) DGB
5) Sammie Coates

I didn't see enough of McBride to rank him. I'm interested based on recent buzz and how he stood out at shrine week. Excited to learn more about him.

What are your thoughts regarding Jaelen Strong? Care to share your reasoning for Coates>Strong?
I'm lower on Strong than most, I'd probably have him after Coates. I like his ability to high point the ball but he seemed to have trouble getting separation against tight man to man coverage. A lot of his catches were contested because he couldn't create any space between himself and the corner on a consistent basis. Coates doesn't have the best ball skills, has concentration drops, and needs to work on his route running, but he's a shade under 6'2" and runs 4.3, I think he has big time potential on the NFL level, his game against Albama this past season was a snapshot of what he's capable of doing in my opinion. I'm worried Strong is built in the vein of what has become the stereotypical USC WR, I hope he proves me wrong though.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm

RightlegTucker wrote:
DynoScout wrote:

1) Devante Parker
2) Amari Cooper
3) Kevin White
4) DGB
5) Sammie Coates

I'm lower on Strong than most, I'd probably have him after Coates. I like his ability to high point the ball but he seemed to have trouble getting separation against tight man to man coverage. A lot of his catches were contested because he couldn't create any space between himself and the corner on a consistent basis. Coates doesn't have the best ball skills, has concentration drops, and needs to work on his route running, but he's a shade under 6'2" and runs 4.3, I think he has big time potential on the NFL level, his game against Albama this past season was a snapshot of what he's capable of doing in my opinion. I'm worried Strong is built in the vein of what has become the stereotypical USC WR, I hope he proves me wrong though.
Thanks for the post.
I agree with Coates having higher potential than Strong. I also think Coates is also more likely to bust.
As you pointed out, Strong definitely struggles to create horizontal separation against close man coverage, and relies on vertical separation which may or may not work out for him in NFL.
My biggest issue with Coates is that he doesn't catch the ball well/consistently. I'm just skeptical that he ever develops that.

Both guys have their warts IMO, and admittedly I might be over-reacting to Coates.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I think your concerns are perfectly valid as they are ones that I share and I'm sure most people who have watched any amount of tape on him. I just feel Coates is more likely to develop ball skills than Strong will learn to get separation, as I believe he is naturally stiff and I do not believe he has the speed to win consistently deep in the NFL. After the top four in this class I feel there's a pretty big drop off, and even they are hardly unblemished in many respects. I still have to watch more tape though, I could be being overly critical of Strong but failure to separate is a red flag for me as I'm sure it is for most people.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:37 pm

To me landing spot will matter a lot for Strong. I like for him best for a big slot role, on a spectrum between late career Colston and rookie season Jordan Matthews. On the other side Coates has the natural traits that could transcend a role/system. He just hasn't put them all together.

Strong/Coates look far apart on my rankings, but it's worth mentioning that I have everyone from Funchess to Coates rated very similarly.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Not very big on Coates. Way too many red flags as a receiver even if he's got the size-speed combination.

I think Lockett is way too low on this list.

Also, didn't Agholor already announce he's returning for his senior year?

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:Not very big on Coates. Way too many red flags as a receiver even if he's got the size-speed combination.

I think Lockett is way too low on this list.

Also, didn't Agholor already announce he's returning for his senior year?
I like Lockett a lot but question his long term dynasty value. Could be more important to his NFL team than to his dynasty owners.
Would you have him higher because you believe in him or because you question others I've put above him?

I'm 99% sure Agholor declared for this draft. He's on this list, for instance: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... ouncements

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 pm

People seem to have a wide range of opinions regarding Coates, some like myself love his upside while others won't touch him due to his inconsistencies as a player. Neither of which I believe is right or wrong at this point, he is very much a project player and there is a very real possibility that he won't develop, but if he does he could be a homerun.

I would prefer to see Strong in the slot, a lot of the concerns I had with Matthews (to a much lesser extent) and he thrived in the slot this past season. Giants fans have also been clamoring for Randle to slide into the slot and had he some modest success inside as well, and I see some similarities between him and Strong in some respects. Rankings are definitely layered though, I typically separate mine into tiers so I can group players and keep everything in order.

Have either of you guys watched any tape of Philip Dorsett from Miami? I see you have him at 22 Dyno, what are your thoughts? Mayock said he's a borderline 1st round prospect but that was the first I have ever heard his name.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:28 pm

DynoScout wrote: I like Lockett a lot but question his long term dynasty value. Could be more important to his NFL team than to his dynasty owners.
Would you have him higher because you believe in him or because you question others I've put above him?

I'm 99% sure Agholor declared for this draft. He's on this list, for instance: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... ouncements
Thanks, thought I saw a report that he decided to stay for his enior year.

I believe in Lockett's ability over most of the others in front of him. He seems to do a lot in terms of route running, speed, creating separation, and ball skills that usually translate to the next level. I guess his size will come into play to determine his upside, and his small hands, but he seems to be a pretty good overall receiver.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm

RightlegTucker wrote:People seem to have a wide range of opinions regarding Coates, some like myself love his upside while others won't touch him due to his inconsistencies as a player. Neither of which I believe is right or wrong at this point, he is very much a project player and there is a very real possibility that he won't develop, but if he does he could be a homerun.

I would prefer to see Strong in the slot, a lot of the concerns I had with Matthews (to a much lesser extent) and he thrived in the slot this past season. Giants fans have also been clamoring for Randle to slide into the slot and had he some modest success inside as well, and I see some similarities between him and Strong in some respects. Rankings are definitely layered though, I typically separate mine into tiers so I can group players and keep everything in order.

Have either of you guys watched any tape of Philip Dorsett from Miami? I see you have him at 22 Dyno, what are your thoughts? Mayock said he's a borderline 1st round prospect but that was the first I have ever heard his name.
Against off-coverage he gets on top of people quickly, out run them deep, and is blessed with quick feet.
Against the press he can get pushed around, but his feet often earn him separation and he accelerates away from most DBs with ease.
I don't buy round 1 hype from Mayock, but I do see him on a spectrum including John Brown and Mike Wallace.