Sam Howell, 2023 starter or benchwarmer?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Sam Howell, 2023 starter or benchwarmer?

Postby BabyChark23 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:39 am

Does Sam Howell start next year? Who else do the Commanders bring in? Trying to decide if he is a potential cheap buy in a 2QB league I’m in.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Sam Howell, 2023 starter or benchwarmer?

Postby murphysxm » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:59 am

I think he starts the year as the QB, I just am not so sure he ends the year as their starting QB. They mishandled giving him more reps last year to have a better feel for what they have in him. Big ? for me.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:02 am

Total gamble. He probably gets a look this year, but hard to see him as a long term option. He may be worth the stash depending how cheap you can land him. I would not offer much though.

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:18 am

It wasn't too long ago that Howell was atop devy superflex boards. It's funny how things change so quickly sometimes. I don't see a QB that makes sense for WAS in free agency other than maybe Carr. I think Howell will get the nod this year and they will tank for Caleb Williams with the likelihood that there is new ownership in place too. Maybe a Mike White type lands there and gets the opportunity to compete for a starting role. That would be fun.
16 TM / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 3 DL / 3 LB / 4 DB / 1 FX

QB: Jalen Hurts, Jordan Love, Michael Penix Jr, Kenny Pickett, Sean Clifford
RB: Raheem Mostert, Antonio Gibson, Jaylen Wright, Jeff Wilson
WR: Marvin Harrison Jr, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, Gabriel Davis, Wan'Dale Robinson, Darius Slayton
TE: Kyle Pitts, Mike Gesicki, Isaiah Likely, Cade Stover
DL: Montez Sweat, Gregory Rousseau, Ed Oliver, Da'Ron Payne
LB: Devin Lloyd, Christian Harris, Jack Gibbens, Mack Wilson, Jack Sanborn
DB: Antoine Winfield, Camryn Bynum, Jeremy Chinn, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Amani Hooker, Justin Simmons, Caden Sterns
2025 PICKS: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5
2026 PICKS: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:30 am

I have Howell on most of my rosters. If you do dig in you can find a lot about how much the coaching staff and locker room likes and respects him, which at least takes him out of the Rosen/Z Wilson category of guys that no matter the talent were never going to make it.

Basically he is a good upside stash, especially with the strong arm and rushing ability, but he will be a long shot until we see him do it for a full season and survive a potential early WAS draft pick in 2024.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:43 am

I have one share and am holding. I think he can start. Has a shot. Feels like Heineke? Might do well but probably isn't the long-term solution though who knows these days. What are their options? I don't see them drafting a QB. Purdy and Ridder may start next year. Mayfield. Pickett.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:53 am

As of right now (like this very moment) he's the starter. Its foolish to think that the Commies won't be brining in someone else who is also able to start over him. Keep in mind, unless Rivera has some iron clad contract, he's going to be the on hotseat. A 2nd year qb with minimal NFL experience is not a good QB if you are on the hotseat.

That being said, I do think that his draft capital was artificially lower due to Mayfield being available for peanuts last draft and he did have some good college seasons.

I think the problem is that unless you are currently getting a discount, he's probably more costly than his potential value right now. I don't think you are wrestling him away for a 3rd round pick, and I see no reason to spend a 2nd rounder on him right now.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:26 pm

All we know is that the Commanders are saying that they'd like Howell to be their starting QB in 2023.

My personal take is that I liked Howell coming out, but see a lot of red flags with his situation. He only got 5th round draft capital invested in him and if this regime has another bad season (which is likely) there's no certainty that Rivera and company keep their jobs beyond 2023. Which of course means that if he doesn't pop right away he's probably getting replaced also. As others have said, they'll probably bring in a veteran along the way, so there's no guarantee that even if he wins the job that he can keep it for the entire season.

As for the player, he proved to be a dual-threat QB in college, so there is some intriguing upside in SF/2QB formats. I just wished we'd seen more last season and believe that the Commanders hanging around the playoff race until week 17 is probably what kept him from starting more than just the final week of the season.

In summary, there are many different outcomes here and most of them are bad. Worth checking the price on him in that format to be sure, but don't feel the need to overpay right now.