Tee Higgins

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Tee Higgins

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm

I like Tee Higgins' landing spot as I also like Joe Burrow. Higgins' Mizelle ADP dropped from 1.10 in February to 2.02 today in June. I've definitely been hearing less hype about Higgins that most other top rookie WRs.

What about Higgins do we not like? Or is it more a matter of really liking the landing spots of players now going before him, like Michael Pittman in Indy, Denzel Mims to the Jets, and Justin Jefferson to the Vikings? I can see Jefferson, but disagree with the first two.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Tee Higgins

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 pm

For me, it’s just a matter of less opportunity for immediate production. If he doesn’t do much this year, he’ll be cheaper this time next year (even though everyone knew going into the season his playing time would likely be limited).
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers,l
RB: Pacheco, Spears, Ray Davis, Hubbard, Khalil Herbert, McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Miles Sanders
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, Rashee, Keon Coleman, Pearsall, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, McCaffrey
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 pm For me, it’s just a matter of less opportunity for immediate production. If he doesn’t do much this year, he’ll be cheaper this time next year (even though everyone knew going into the season his playing time would likely be limited).
This idea is so league dependent, unless you are talking about start ups. Most people who draft a 21 year old rookie WR understand immediate production is not expected. I have found that people are rarely willing to trade the player for less than they paid, a year later. There may be the odd owner who gives up, and generally these players manage their teams poorly in general, but it's certainly not the norm. In most leagues I play in, if I want that player, I better get them in the rookie draft, or be willing to pay the equivalent cost a year from then, because owners generally tie the value to that player to at least what they paid for them, for at least a few years, before they are willing to sell them at a discount from the price they paid.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm I like Tee Higgins' landing spot as I also like Joe Burrow. Higgins' Mizelle ADP dropped from 1.10 in February to 2.02 today in June. I've definitely been hearing less hype about Higgins that most other top rookie WRs.

What about Higgins do we not like? Or is it more a matter of really liking the landing spots of players now going before him, like Michael Pittman in Indy, Denzel Mims to the Jets, and Justin Jefferson to the Vikings? I can see Jefferson, but disagree with the first two.
He’s slow and struggles to get separation. He’s big, strong and effective at jump balls, but not sure that’s enough. I had him at 1.12, but he’s pretty interchangable with Mims, Pittman and Shenault in terms of value to me. Even Akers is about that value for me, so the 1.10 to the 2.02 is pretty fluid for me and it wouldn’t be much of a gap between those slots even if it’s a substantial number of pick difference.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:12 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm I like Tee Higgins' landing spot as I also like Joe Burrow. Higgins' Mizelle ADP dropped from 1.10 in February to 2.02 today in June. I've definitely been hearing less hype about Higgins that most other top rookie WRs.

He’s slow and struggles to get separation. He’s big, strong and effective at jump balls, but not sure that’s enough. I had him at 1.12, but he’s pretty interchangable with Mims, Pittman and Shenault in terms of value to me. Even Akers is about that value for me, so the 1.10 to the 2.02 is pretty fluid for me and it wouldn’t be much of a gap between those slots even if it’s a substantial number of pick difference.
Sounds like your describing K.Allen. Lol.

There is a lot to like in Higgins. Being tied to a talented young qb and learning under AJG are good things. In dynasty, a smidge of patience is a good thing. I have Higgins above Mims, Ayuik, and Ruggs, and about equal to Pittman. So often, straight line speed and 40 times at the combine are weighed too heavily. In my opinion, Higgins is the future #1 wr for Burrow.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:08 am

JFever wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm

There is a lot to like in Higgins. Being tied to a talented young qb and learning under AJG are good things. In dynasty, a smidge of patience is a good thing. I have Higgins above Mims, Ayuik, and Ruggs, and about equal to Pittman. So often, straight line speed and 40 times at the combine are weighed too heavily. In my opinion, Higgins is the future #1 wr for Burrow.
Higgins ran a 4.54 forty. I don't consider that too slow. Watching his game, he has good game speed. To each their own, though.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm
Ruggenater wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 pm For me, it’s just a matter of less opportunity for immediate production. If he doesn’t do much this year, he’ll be cheaper this time next year (even though everyone knew going into the season his playing time would likely be limited).
This idea is so league dependent, unless you are talking about start ups. Most people who draft a 21 year old rookie WR understand immediate production is not expected. I have found that people are rarely willing to trade the player for less than they paid, a year later. There may be the odd owner who gives up, and generally these players manage their teams poorly in general, but it's certainly not the norm. In most leagues I play in, if I want that player, I better get them in the rookie draft, or be willing to pay the equivalent cost a year from then, because owners generally tie the value to that player to at least what they paid for them, for at least a few years, before they are willing to sell them at a discount from the price they paid.
I think this is a good point, but I also think it’s only sort-of-true. N’Keal Harry is a good example. He cost most players somewhere between 1.02-1.05 depending on the format. I’ve seen him traded for much less than that value.

On the other hand, I haven’t seen anybody move Andy Isabella for anything resembling his dramatically later ADP. I think fantasy players are willing to sell on guys like Harry, who lose value but can still net you a useful player if you sell them, but not guys like Isabella, who are effectively value-less.

How does this apply to Higgins? I tend to agree with FF- in most of my leagues, I don’t anticipate a massive discount. I would be surprised if Higgins doesn’t cost at least a second next year.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:08 am

Higgins ran a 4.54 forty. I don't consider that too slow. Watching his game, he has good game speed. To each their own, though.
His deep speed is okay, but his burst off the line is abysmal. He’s also not particularly quick. I still have him ranked with Mims, Pittman & Shenault (ahead of Ruggs and way ahead of Aiyuk), so I’m not saying he’s hopeless. It’s just a concern. Reminds me of Dez Bryant a bit, but I think Dez had better burst.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:47 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm This idea is so league dependent, unless you are talking about start ups. Most people who draft a 21 year old rookie WR understand immediate production is not expected. I have found that people are rarely willing to trade the player for less than they paid, a year later.
I definitely see players value drop when they don't get much playing time or injury. Harry, Campbell, Hurd, Butler, etc. It should not affect, as everyone knows they need to give at least a year or 2 to make judgement, but getting the same value that you spent is hard.

That said, I do think Higgins will get more playing time than ppl think and will have plenty of time to shine.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:26 am

I like his long term situation. He'll be buried behind Green year 1, but these guys' value only tanks when they are expected to start with a great situation and immediate opportunity. Harry was playing with 42-year-old QB with an immediate opening for an outside starter, Campbell was expected to play with Luck on a shallow depth chart when most rookie drafts happened. Their value tanked when they didn't fire in what looked like a great spot to fire year 1.

My main negative for him is he's just a dog athletically, and I don't know if he'll be able to separate well enough to be a more than a TD-dependant jump ball guy. If Burrow is as advertised that probably doesn't matter, though.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:35 am

Higgens is way better than many think IMO.

He has great hands and elite catch radius. Pretty rare to see a long stride player that is plus against press coverage. Great outside the hash marks but can also really box out defenders.

Not a power player but Silky Smooth. Extremely natural pass catcher. Top 5 WR in this draft IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:37 am

As a prospect I see a lot of people question his ability to separate. You're right though, it kinda seems like Pittman is almost universally loved and I see a lot of the same problems people cite about Higgins with him. Neither one of them is what you would call explosive and Higgins actually seems like the more fluid athlete to me.

On paper Pittman has a clearer path to targets I guess. But all Higgins has to do is beat out Ross and then the only thing standing between him and a good share of targets is AJG falling off a cliff. Which might have actually happened already given how the last two years have gone for him. So at the end of the day I don't think it matters too much. If Higgins is your guy I would take him over anybody but Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson and Reagor.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Goff, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Montgomery, Rhamondre, Hubbard, Akers, Gainwell
WR - Tyreek, AJB, Nico, Gabe, Elijah Moore
TE - Engram, Juwan
DL - TJ Watt, Josh Allen, Quinnen Williams, Highsmith
LB - Singleton, Devin Lloyd, Ernest Jones, Lavonte David
DB - Winfield, Julian Love, Delpit, Blankenship

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:35 am Higgins is way better than many think IMO.

He has great hands and elite catch radius. Pretty rare to see a long stride player that is plus against press coverage. Great outside the hash marks but can also really box out defenders.

Not a power player but Silky Smooth. Extremely natural pass catcher. Top 5 WR in this draft IMO.
I've been trying to figure out Tee Higgins in my head. There's a pretty reasonable chance I'll have a shot at him at 2.04 in my SF draft in a couple weeks. My other target is probably Mims... I am not as high on Pittman as others, but those three WR's are back-to-back-to-back in DLF's rankings right now.

Has anybody seen anything truly inspiring breaking down Higgins on Youtube or whatnot - anything that would allay the fears around his speed, quickness, ability to translate to the next level, superior/inferior route work, footwork... I'd love someone who loves him to break down why he's a better choice than the other WR's in the same range. I do recall the pre-combine days, where he was a Top 5 rookie WR in a lot of peoples rankings...

Here's my working so far:
- Was likely Joe Burrows' personal selection (they had a whole 24 hours to ask him who he wanted as his guy going forward)
- Total RZ/TD monster (but easily had the best QB situation out of these WR's in college)
- Tied to the better QB for the foreseeable future, possibly one of the few QB's in the league that can make up for limited seperation with good ball placement
- Presently a potential value as a guy we had pegged as a 1st rounder now slipping to the mid-2nd
- Insert talking-head roleplay here on "he just knows how to play football, bah-gawd!"
- Ice seems to think he's good at beating Press coverage (I'd like to know more please)

On the other hand...
- Mims had far more yardage in college with an objectively worse QB
- Mims is a drastically superior athlete
- Darnold might actually be a pretty-good QB being held underwater by the Gase-bricks tied to his feet (I still believe in Darnold the player, but I hate the Coach and organisation)
- Higgins walks into a 4-deep (maybe 5) WR room, Mims walks in as a starting outside receiver
- Reasonable chance it takes an injury for Higgins value to appreciate during year 1 (but will spike in Year 2 if AJ leaves)

I think I just talked myself back into Mims. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:08 am

That's hand timed. At the combine that equates to 4.59. Still like Higgins, though. Just a really deep class.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:23 am

Cephus ran a 4.56 40 at his pro day and he still gets hammered for being slow, right or wrong.