What do the Browns do with their 11 draft picks?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

What do the Browns do with their 11 draft picks?

Postby IBall2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:37 am

The Browns haven't had this much leverage in a long time so I figured I'd ask the group what you guys think they do. I've heard a lot of noise about them trading for Garoppollo but I don't think they will.

I could see them taking a luxury pick early in the draft figuring they can make up for it with all their other draft picks. Maybe taking a QB at #1 if they don't sign someone in FA?

I also think they take a running back with 1 of their 7 picks in the first 4 rounds which would make for an interesting backfield with Crowell/Duke/Rookie.

I don't follow the Browns so I'm not sure what their team actually needs for positional players so I could be getting ahead of myself also.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: What do the Browns do with their 11 draft picks?

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 am

I think they'll focus on taking BPA and revamping their defense, knowing they won't be a playoff team next year for sure and probably not for 2 years. Getting what they think would be the QB of the future in a horrible QB FA and rookie class seems pointless. Though picking up a RB doesn't seem out of the question, I doubt they spend a 1st or 2nd round pick.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 am

They are not going to take a QB at #1. Though I like Trubisky, he isn't worthy of that selection. If they were going to make that move, why not take Wentz a year ago? I could possibly see them making that pick (of Trubisky, no other QB) at #12. I'm afraid that they will end up taking an entirely different QB there which would just be a complete waste of a pick. Myles Garrett should go #1. Cleveland needs a pass rush in a big way. They've put together some good pieces on that line, but no one to fill that role. Garrett is the logical choice.

Overall the focus in this draft for them HAS to be defense and offensive line. I know this RB class is supposed to be special but that would be a wasted pick right now. They can do just fine with Crowell/Duke for 2017 and address the position a year from now.

As for Garoppolo...IF they do pursue him, I would not pay more than a 2nd round pick and possibly add a later one (like a 5th). Word is the Patriots would like a 1st round pick PLUS more. That is kooky talk. If they are going to invest a 1st round pick on an experienced QB, it needs to be an actual experienced QB, not someone who appeared in a couple of game. They'd be smarter looking at a Tyrod Taylor with a more proven track record. I'd prefer to stay away from options like Cutler or Romo as they are really just more bandaids.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:05 am

The Browns should either take Garrett at 1.01 or trade back--I don't see them taking another position at 1.01. Garrett would open things up big time for their defense, so I definitely think it'd be a solid pick for them. However, I could also see them trading back and opting instead to take multiple dart throws on the defensive talent in this year's class. They may go some O-line, but it's a weak class in that respect and I think they might be ok with their developing talent there.

Earliest they consider QB is at 1.12 IMO, though I would be surprised if they went that early.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:33 am

They are essentially in the same spot as last season with needs virtually everywhere so trying to predict what they do is beyond difficult. Looking back at last year's draft, CLE was somewhat all over the map taking players at almost every position with an odd focus on questionable WR prospects later in the draft. I expect them to hit the defense hard, particularly the strengths of this year's draft (edge rusher, corner). OL is a place they would love to focus given their deficiencies and lack of young FA options, but as stated earlier, it is a weak class. RB and TE are the other strengths of this class. Crowell is an RFA and the talent for CLE at TE is not upper-tier so both are definitely an option for the Browns.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 am

screwem up as usual
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Trade back from 1.1, trade up from the late rounds, have ~10 picks in the top 3 rounds! That would be fun to watch...anyways.
It won't happen as teams can't afford to have THAT much invested in any one year of RFA. It would cause a disaster years down the road to have that many high profile rookies in the same year.

Pantherbro13
Starter
Starter

Postby Pantherbro13 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm Trade back from 1.1, trade up from the late rounds, have ~10 picks in the top 3 rounds! That would be fun to watch...anyways.
It won't happen as teams can't afford to have THAT much invested in any one year of RFA. It would cause a disaster years down the road to have that many high profile rookies in the same year.
This is why with fringe late round 1 talent we will see teams more willing to trade back into the first to have the 5th year option.
12 team PPR/40 player roster/5 round rookie draft

QB
- Josh Allen/Anthony Richardson/Gardner Minshew
RB - Bijan Robinson/Javonte Williams/Joe Mixon/Brian Robinson/Kendre Miller/Chase Brown
WR - Ja’Marr Chase/DJ Moore/DeVonta Smith/Zay Flowers/Josh Downs/Tank Dell/Dontayvion Wicks
TE - Sam LaPorta/TJ Hockenson/Cole Kmet
K - Harrison Butker
DL - Myles Garrett/Jeffrey Simmons/Christian Barmore/Brian Burns/Ed Oliver
LB - Shaq Thompson/Ivan Pace Jr/Pete Werner/Christian Harris/Blake Cashman/Micah McFadden
DB - Kyle Hamilton/Jevon Holland/Reed Blankenship/Kyle Dugger/Dax Hill/Jalen Thompson/Amani Hooker
IR -
TS - Skyy Moore/Trey Palmer/Xavier Gipson

2024 Draft picks - 1.9, 1.10, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 3.8, 4.8
2025 Draft picks - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 pm

They'll probably draft 11 WRs.

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 am

I could see them trading up, packaging picks for future picks & drafting team needs. I have a feeling the RB committee is safe, since their are too many other holes. But they should be much better next year!

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 am

Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 pm They'll probably draft 11 WRs.
Damnit. Beat me to it.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

sms
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sms » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 am

I think the Browns go with Myles at one. They would select Hooker if he drops, or even Fournette if he drops. Leonard is considered the "generational talent." He is good but only time will tell. Nonetheless, he is the type of RB Hue Jackson likes. A power running game is a major component of his ideal offense. Otherwise I have no clue who goes at 12. They do like high character, hard working players with a lot of experience from big programs. But the staff coached the Senior Bowl, and I'm pretty sure we will see a few players from those squads.

In the second round, I could see them possibly drafting a QB if one falls to 33. I also think they could go with another DL, CB, or WR in the second (which is a strength of this class, other than WR). Kupp seems to be the kind of guy they may like for a 3 WR set, now that Hawkins is gone. Crowell is a RFA who is still not signed. Thus a RB later in the round could be an option. Of course OL is an option too.

The third round is where they probably go with BPA with whoever drops. TE could be a focus in the 3rd or later, especially since this draft has tight end depth.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 am

M-Dub wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 am
Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 pm They'll probably draft 11 WRs.
Damnit. Beat me to it.
Lol sorry bud, had to do it!

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm

they will leverage into more picks for 2018 also .. I think the journey for their rebuild will be fascinating..
@PlankMelody

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:46 pm

No way they continue to trade out of spots. They take DL at 1 and if they were smart follow it up with DL or DB at 11. Then again in the 2nd they go BPA on the Def side. They should focus their 3rd round pick on a TE. Say they added 4 starters on the def side in their first 5 picks. they are perfectly fine with a bridge QB until next season and Duke and Crow( 2nd round tender/may be smart not to match) at RB and draft another in the 4th and dont forget about Darius Jackson. The only scenario I see them taking QB early is Mahomes in the 2nd.
1. Garrett
11. Barnett/Solomon/Allen (someone will be there and it looks like Barnett)
33. Obi Melifonwu
52. Desmond King
65. Jordan Leggett
108. Brad Kaaya (Take a QB here)
142. Marlon Mack
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll