Sandbagging Issues, how has your league dealt with it??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
vbbish
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Sandbagging Issues, how has your league dealt with it??

Postby vbbish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:49 am

Hi guys,

A couple of the owners in our league have brought something forward and I was wondering if any of you had dealt with the issue before.

Basically we have a couple teams that are losing on purpose in order to get a higher draft pick. They are have lineup set with all active players, however benching guys that are auto starts.

Now some grumbling has come from the fact that they are getting a high pick, however the big issue stemming from this is from the guys that are fighting for a playoff spot and the people in front of them are basically being handed a bi week.

We have a $50 fine for last place, however some are wondering if additional steps need to be taken in order to prevent this. Some even went as far as proposing giving commissioner control of the teams starting roster (which I am grossly against).

Any feedback would be appreciated.
12th Year Full Dynasty PPR (1 pt. per Rec.) 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1TE/RB/WR 12 team league **Champ 20, 21 & 22 **
QB: J. Burrow, M. Jones, B. Zappe
RB: J. Gibbs, D. Cook, AJ Dillon, D. Pierce
WR: JJefferson, Godwin, QJ, Jeudy, R. Moore, K. Shakir, T. Burks, Z. Flowers, S. Moore, J. Reed, J. Metchie, J. Downs
TE: Andrews, J. Johnson, T. Kraft

2024 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.04, 3.10

2nd Year Superflex PPR (.5 per Rec) 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2WR/RB/TE, 1SF 12 Team

QB: Herbie, T. Law, B. Young, J. Winston, K. Pickett, M. Willis
RB: Z. White, D. Singletary, E. Gray, E. Wilson, M. Carter, I. Spiller, R. Blackshear, I. Abanikanda, T. Bigsby
WR: D. London, G. Wilson, KJ Osborn, M. Wilson, D. Davis, J. Watson, J. Williams, T, Scott, Q, Johnson, P. Washingon
TE: C. Otton, D. Kincaid, T. Conklin, N. Fant, J, Whyle, M. Mayer

2024 1.05, 2.02, 3.02, 3.04

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sandbagging Issues, how has your league dealt with it??

Postby Phaded » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am

Warnings for tanking.
After 1 warning, if still tanking - booted from the league.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:57 am

Phaded wrote:Warnings for tanking.
Agreed.

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an abnormally large numbers of posts this year regarding teams tanking.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jwint7910
Starter
Starter

Postby jwint7910 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:00 am

Use potential points to determine pick order for the teams that do not make the playoffs.
Dynasty League: Est. 2012 2018 CHAMPION
10 Team PPR, All tds 6 points, 27 roster
Start: 1-QB, 2-4RB, 2-4WR, 1-3TE, 1-K, 1-DEF

QB BigBen, Dak
RB Barkley, Cook, Mixon, Chubb, D Williams, R Anderson, B Anderson
WR Nuk, AB, M Thomas, Cooper, M Williams, Godwin, Gallup, McLaurin, Cain, D Moore
TE Engram, Njoku, Knox
K Zuerlein
DEF Vikings, Chargers

2020:2,2,2,2,3,3-5
2021:1,2,2,5

Dynasty League: Est. 2017
12 Team PPR Superflex, 1/4 point per carry, TE bonus, All tds 6 points, 25 roster
Start: 1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR, 1-2TE, 1-K, 1-DEF

QB Rodgers, Watson, Luck, Murray
RB Mixon, Gordon, Chubb, Guice, Harris
WR JuJu, Cooks, Golladay, C Davis, Godwin, Fuller, Miller, Washington, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Quinn, C Moore
TE Engram, OJ Howard
K Zuerlein
DEF Denver

2019: 3.10,4.05
2020: 1,1,1,1,2,2,4-5
2021: 1-5

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 am

Probably cause it's the best rb class ever. Early picksnthis year are incredibly valuable. I am seeing a lot of teams intentially losing across my leagues too.
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:29 am

Agree. As commish I do a 3 strike system. First time for tanking or setting incomplete lineup is a warning. 2nd strike is losing your BBID money, if they don't have any left they lose their lowest draft pick. 3rd strike booted.

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:31 am

jwint7910 wrote:Use potential points to determine pick order for the teams that do not make the playoffs.
Potential points award (or in this case penalize) depth and mediocrity of players since more chances of a player going off who wouldn't normally, so won't be representative of actual results.

If a team is eliminated from the playoffs, we use a designated sites rankings to determine their lineup, they don't have control over it. This doesn't eliminate a team sandbagging if they aren't eliminated so then it is a judgement call as to if should be using some sort of rankings.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 am

skip wrote:
Agreed.

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an abnormally large numbers of posts this year regarding teams tanking.
There are so many every year and every year we all say that this seems like a lot...

In the league I commish I put in the bylaws if you are accused of tanking (or trying to) and I see your lineup is clearly in tank mode (Flacco in for Brady for example) then I reserve the right to reset your lineups according to fantasypros consensus rankings. If you do it again then you lose your first round pick.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:42 am

joeday wrote:In the league I commish I put in the bylaws if you are accused of tanking (or trying to) and I see your lineup is clearly in tank mode (Flacco in for Brady for example) then I reserve the right to reset your lineups according to fantasypros consensus rankings. If you do it again then you lose your first round pick.
This is exactly what I have as well.

Here is the sample of the tidbit in my rules:
- For both an anti tanking measure and for a competitive interest measure, the LM reserves the right to and may remove players from a starting lineup and replace them with a suitable option if the owner of the team has not done so.
Given I've only had to do it once ever - and that was because the owner unexpectedly lost internet access and I found out afterwards.

vbbish
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby vbbish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback... For the most part it sounds like the same options as our league is tossing around.

At what point does the commissioner have the right to take over the teams lineup? At any point? Once a team has been eliminated from the playoffs?

So what happens if an owner is playing a hunch (DGB) and the commissioner takes that player out for someone predicted for more points, and the original outscores the replacement? This exact situation happened this weekend. Everyone was getting on a player who who started DGB & Coleman over Cobb, Watkins & D.Parker (all projected for higher). Both those players ended up getting more points then the players projected for higher?

Im sure all of this has come up at some point and would be very interested to hear how it was dealt with.
12th Year Full Dynasty PPR (1 pt. per Rec.) 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1TE/RB/WR 12 team league **Champ 20, 21 & 22 **
QB: J. Burrow, M. Jones, B. Zappe
RB: J. Gibbs, D. Cook, AJ Dillon, D. Pierce
WR: JJefferson, Godwin, QJ, Jeudy, R. Moore, K. Shakir, T. Burks, Z. Flowers, S. Moore, J. Reed, J. Metchie, J. Downs
TE: Andrews, J. Johnson, T. Kraft

2024 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.04, 3.10

2nd Year Superflex PPR (.5 per Rec) 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2WR/RB/TE, 1SF 12 Team

QB: Herbie, T. Law, B. Young, J. Winston, K. Pickett, M. Willis
RB: Z. White, D. Singletary, E. Gray, E. Wilson, M. Carter, I. Spiller, R. Blackshear, I. Abanikanda, T. Bigsby
WR: D. London, G. Wilson, KJ Osborn, M. Wilson, D. Davis, J. Watson, J. Williams, T, Scott, Q, Johnson, P. Washingon
TE: C. Otton, D. Kincaid, T. Conklin, N. Fant, J, Whyle, M. Mayer

2024 1.05, 2.02, 3.02, 3.04

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Have your pick system not based on record. Do Points For + Bench Points. It removes the starters from the equation and factors total team. If a team sells guys then that's part of the strategy of rebuild. If guys are injured, well then they didn't have a chance anyway. Your current setup, including a reward, encourages the behavior, so of course it will happen.

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:28 pm

FiremanEd wrote:Have your pick system not based on record. Do Points For + Bench Points. It removes the starters from the equation and factors total team. If a team sells guys then that's part of the strategy of rebuild. If guys are injured, well then they didn't have a chance anyway. Your current setup, including a reward, encourages the behavior, so of course it will happen.
This. Starter points + bench points for non playoff teams. I don't know if this will keep them from starting a good lineup every week though.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 pm

schiewerma21 wrote:Probably cause it's the best rb class ever. Early picksnthis year are incredibly valuable. I am seeing a lot of teams intentially losing across my leagues too.
Agreed tanking has been raised in 2 of my 3 leagues recently having never been an issue before. Cos of the stud nature of the RBs I think.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:57 pm

broncohead wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:Have your pick system not based on record. Do Points For + Bench Points. It removes the starters from the equation and factors total team. If a team sells guys then that's part of the strategy of rebuild. If guys are injured, well then they didn't have a chance anyway. Your current setup, including a reward, encourages the behavior, so of course it will happen.
This. Starter points + bench points for non playoff teams. I don't know if this will keep them from starting a good lineup every week though.
I don't agree with using total team points for a couple of reasons...

1) Maybe I am only speaking for myself, but my bench is primarily all "upside" players that on any given week put up a big pile of zeros. So this format would benefit a team like mine.

2) I don't always roster a full compliment of players either. If the league has rosters that are "too big" then I don't see the point in carrying useless baggage.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Maybe instead of total points you utilize best ball scoring format for teams that don't make the playoffs. Probably would require a lot of manual point tracking though.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave