Spiller or Matthew's???

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
haydn239
Captain
Captain

Spiller or Matthew's???

Postby haydn239 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 am

Based on where they landed who will have more success this year, CJ Spiller in Buffalo or R. Matthew's in SD?

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Re: Spiller or Matthew's???

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 am

haydn239 wrote:Based on where they landed who will have more success this year, CJ Spiller in Buffalo or R. Matthew's in SD?
Matthews, and it isn't close.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:16 am

I am saying Both as there is but a single round of the draft done. With the drafting of Spiller, the Bills are likely looking to move Lynch. If that happens, the prospects for both are promising for 2010.
Last edited by skip on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:21 am

PPR give me Spiller. Matthews will be a 2-down player this year. If he shows hands and develops well in blitz pick up, then Sproles will be gone after this season and Matthews could be a true 3-down back in the future. But for right now, hes only on the field for 2-downs. Spiller should be all over the place in that offense. Their offensive line may give up sacks, but theres a reason an average skilled 28 year old back in Jackson had a big year. There has to be some sort of run blocking there.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Spiller or Matthew's???

Postby Devil's Advocate » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 am

thevidon2 wrote:
haydn239 wrote:Based on where they landed who will have more success this year, CJ Spiller in Buffalo or R. Matthew's in SD?
Matthews, and it isn't close.
X2
2009/2010 Devil's Dynasty Champion
2010 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2010 Beer Drinkers Dynasty Champion
2010 Devil's Dynasty II Champion

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 am

Mathews for me as well and I also didn't have to put much thought into it. I had Mathews rated higher pre-draft and he landed in a great situation.

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:28 am

Mathews

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:59 am

BubbaBurst wrote:PPR give me Spiller. Matthews will be a 2-down player this year. If he shows hands and develops well in blitz pick up, then Sproles will be gone after this season and Matthews could be a true 3-down back in the future. But for right now, hes only on the field for 2-downs. Spiller should be all over the place in that offense. Their offensive line may give up sacks, but theres a reason an average skilled 28 year old back in Jackson had a big year. There has to be some sort of run blocking there.
I think its VERY likely you will end up with Spiller at the 1.3 in DLF I. I know I'm not taking him at 2, and would be surprised if he went #1 overall.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:07 am

Still Matthews for me, even more now that he landed in SD.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:07 am

thevidon2 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:PPR give me Spiller. Matthews will be a 2-down player this year. If he shows hands and develops well in blitz pick up, then Sproles will be gone after this season and Matthews could be a true 3-down back in the future. But for right now, hes only on the field for 2-downs. Spiller should be all over the place in that offense. Their offensive line may give up sacks, but theres a reason an average skilled 28 year old back in Jackson had a big year. There has to be some sort of run blocking there.
I think its VERY likely you will end up with Spiller at the 1.3 in DLF I. I know I'm not taking him at 2, and would be surprised if he went #1 overall.
Works for me. I love seeing him drop. Jackson this year, 1062rush 371rec 4 tds. Lynch 450rush, 179rec, 2 tds. Thats a total of 1500rush, 550rec and 6 tds for the bills running backs this year. Spiller is going to take a nice chunk of that production and add more on top of that with his explosiveness.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 am

This is what I dont understand about people knocking Buffalo's OLine. They are actually pretty decent.

They had massive injuries along the line last year, but let's not forget they drafted Andy Levitre and Eric Wood last year, and signed Geoff Hangartner. They let malcontent Peters walk b/c they think they have found a development LT in Demetrius Bell @ LT. Can they turn Bell into Peters? Dunno, but keep in mind Peters was a TE.

Losing Brad Butler on the right side hurt. It really did, but to think that Buffalo has some door mat OLine like most people seem to think is just simply not true.

Hangartner is only 28. Levitre, Wood, and Bell, are all 25 and under.

They just need a bit of time to mature individually, as well as collectively. I would put a C-C+ grade on them right now, but given a little time and some health, they easily move up to the B-B+ range.

If they find a QB who can do one or both of get the ball out quicker/stretch the field, I think this could be a very good situation for Spiller.

My concern with Spiller though, is he's not a 300 carries/year guy. I think Mathews IS one of those guys. Spiller had 216 touches last year - the most he's ever had. I just dont see him doing that year in, year out at the NFL level.

Mathews, otoh, I think he is going to become one of the few bell-cow RBs in the league. He may even do that this year if his pass protection is good enough to remain in on 3rd down.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 am

hostile wrote: This is what I dont understand about people knocking Buffalo's OLine. They are actually pretty decent.
Not sure what team you were watching but the Bills O-line is horrendous. They gave up 46 sacks compared to 441 passing attempts. Injuries or not it is an issue when all you have are interior linemen. I will cut them some slack and put some of the sacks to poor QB play but still....Demetrius Bell is a project and I don't think he will be an effective LT this year. I agree there is some value still to be had at O-line with Charles Brown, Rodger Saffold, Vlad Ducasse, Bruce Campbell and Jared Veldheer among others though so I won't be too judgemental until after the draft. All that said, it is hard to believe they didn't one of their three biggest needs in the first round (QB, OT, NT).

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am

When discussing Buffalo's offensive line, remember it is important to differentiate between run blocking vs pass blocking. They are very different and most players excel at one or the other.

Buffalo's pass blocking as Daniel noted was horrendous. But their run blocking was respectable allowing an average back (Fred Jackson) to run for 1000+ yards and a 4.5 ypc.

Spiller in Buffalo is a great spot for him and he will not have to carry the load (I don't see him as a 3 down back, too injury prone). Given Spiller's excellent receiving skills, he has a very strong outlook in PPR formats.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:08 am

I think it's Mathews, but Spiller might not be that far behind. Especially in PPR leagues. The OLine never really had a chance to gel last year. If they can find a left tackle in the 2nd round, Spiller's value should be fine.

The play calling was terrible. The QB play was terrible. And Lynch's play didn't help anything when he was on the field.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 am

hosler427 wrote:
hostile wrote: This is what I dont understand about people knocking Buffalo's OLine. They are actually pretty decent.
Not sure what team you were watching but the Bills O-line is horrendous. They gave up 46 sacks compared to 441 passing attempts. Injuries or not it is an issue when all you have are interior linemen. I will cut them some slack and put some of the sacks to poor QB play but still....Demetrius Bell is a project and I don't think he will be an effective LT this year. I agree there is some value still to be had at O-line with Charles Brown, Rodger Saffold, Vlad Ducasse, Bruce Campbell and Jared Veldheer among others though so I won't be too judgemental until after the draft. All that said, it is hard to believe they didn't one of their three biggest needs in the first round (QB, OT, NT).
Nearly their entire line was injured last year. They were using 3rd stringers at many points.

For me, I'll give them a pass on last year's train wreck.

If they are still giving up nearly 50 sacks when all starters are playing, then I will say they are awful. Right now, I'm preaching a little patience.

However, in the context of the thread, I would much rather have Mathews.