team advice

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

team advice

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 am

looking for input into what to do with my team in my sig. Been a pretty high scoring team and usually been in the upper half in points scored but have seemed to be snake bitten the last couple of years and seem to get every teams best scoring output against me and have missed the playoffs 2 times in a row...though i feel im only a player or 2 from really contending again.

I have picks 1.4, 1.7, 2.4, 3.4, etc in the upcoming draft. Should i stay put and try to keep building through the draft or try to make an immediate splash with a trade. I feel pretty good about my RB but have been getting less and less production since most of them are now in RBBC...and it seems the teams with the best WR corps are the ones really doing damage.

I was thinking of maybe packing a set of picks for another good WR. What would someone like Jennings command and what would be worth giving up for him? Have kind of wanted to pair him with Rodgers...would something like 1.4 and 2.4 be good value to both?
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am

The 1.4 and 2.4 is a decent offer for Jennings but one most would not accept. If you need to throw in more I wouldn't hesitate to add Collie or Breaston.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 am

new wrinkle...preliminary offer of 1.4 and 1.7 for reggie wayne...i kind of initiated the talks of 1.4 and 2.4 or one of my WR and 1.7 just to get the owner discussing the possibility of a trade...so he countered with 1.4 and 1.7. He has manning and wayne and never thought he would go for this. take it or pass?

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

I don't think Wayne is that much of an upgrade for you at WR, especially considering the price.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Re: team advice

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am

Indygator wrote:looking for input into what to do with my team in my sig. Been a pretty high scoring team and usually been in the upper half in points scored but have seemed to be snake bitten the last couple of years and seem to get every teams best scoring output against me and have missed the playoffs 2 times in a row...though i feel im only a player or 2 from really contending again.

I have picks 1.4, 1.7, 2.4, 3.4, etc in the upcoming draft. Should i stay put and try to keep building through the draft or try to make an immediate splash with a trade. I feel pretty good about my RB but have been getting less and less production since most of them are now in RBBC...and it seems the teams with the best WR corps are the ones really doing damage.

I was thinking of maybe packing a set of picks for another good WR. What would someone like Jennings command and what would be worth giving up for him? Have kind of wanted to pair him with Rodgers...would something like 1.4 and 2.4 be good value to both?
Your team doesn't have any glaring weakness. Stick with your draft picks.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

turned it down.

Now he countered with:

I give: 1.4, 2.4 and Alex Smith

I get: Wayne

deal, no deal, or counter with me getting something like a future 2nd

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:33 am

You have a team that looks solid on paper rankings, but pretty much 100% of your running back corps underperformed last year.

I know the feeling, I had issues with WRs on my team, my top 4 were Calvin, Jennings, VJax, and Crabtree. I also had Matt Ryan & Sanchez as my QBs. So yeah, in 2009 my team looked great on dynasty rankings, but Calvin, Jennings, and Ryan dragged me down.

Your running back crew was even worse.

Even your team defenses underperformed. I know I know, defenses are low priority in dynasty, but they do have a pretty big point swing each week from worse to 1st. Personally I hate the Giants DST, not because I owned them, but because they allowed the DeSean Jackson owners to own me last year in week 14, DJax singlehandedly knocked me out of 2 playoffs. Grrrrrr.

But, as the season ended, you became undefeated & are set up nicely for 2010. Still though, when I look at your players, I see 1 RB ranked in the top 11 (D. Williams), and 3 WRs ranked in the top 11 (Austin, Colston, Rice).

I would try to consolidate down some running backs into a better one. If you think Wells is better than McCoy, then offer McCoy plus a draft pick for Wells.

Another thing I would also try to use your WRs to upgrade for slightly better WRs.

Try to keep a 2 for 2 trade going, something like Colston/McCoy for VJax/Donald Brown. That could be a win-win for both sides, as you could have an owner who thinks that Colston = VJax and McCoy > Donald Brown.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

jordanzs wrote:You have a team that looks solid on paper rankings, but pretty much 100% of your running back corps underperformed last year.

I know the feeling, I had issues with WRs on my team, my top 4 were Calvin, Jennings, VJax, and Crabtree. I also had Matt Ryan & Sanchez as my QBs. So yeah, in 2009 my team looked great on dynasty rankings, but Calvin, Jennings, and Ryan dragged me down.

Your running back crew was even worse.

Even your team defenses underperformed. I know I know, defenses are low priority in dynasty, but they do have a pretty big point swing each week from worse to 1st. Personally I hate the Giants DST, not because I owned them, but because they allowed the DeSean Jackson owners to own me last year in week 14, DJax singlehandedly knocked me out of 2 playoffs. Grrrrrr.

But, as the season ended, you became undefeated & are set up nicely for 2010. Still though, when I look at your players, I see 1 RB ranked in the top 11 (D. Williams), and 3 WRs ranked in the top 11 (Austin, Colston, Rice).

I would try to consolidate down some running backs into a better one. If you think Wells is better than McCoy, then offer McCoy plus a draft pick for Wells.

Another thing I would also try to use your WRs to upgrade for slightly better WRs.

Try to keep a 2 for 2 trade going, something like Colston/McCoy for VJax/Donald Brown. That could be a win-win for both sides, as you could have an owner who thinks that Colston = VJax and McCoy > Donald Brown.
NO...i know exactly what you mean with the defenses. When NYG started to really blow up i tried to pickup GB off the waiver the week NYG were playing New Orleans...a lower team got to GB too and got them because of waiver priority...the difference in points that week was GB scored something like 35 and NYG got me -8 and i lost by 20 something points. Then the following weeks both NYG and Jax were scoring me neg and GB was scoring a ton. That 1 little waiver priority cost me at least 2 and maybe even 4 (cant really remember now) wins and i would have made the playoffs. Since then we made a new rule that only 2 team defenses are allowed on each team because i and everyone else could make no upgrades or any moves with them and since it's not something you can improve on besides luck and or trades...something had to be done. I have since added GB when the other owner cut them.

and on to the other ideas that is something im definitely looking into...but since im the one basically trying to initiate trade talks the other owners are trying to rape me...

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 am

Indygator wrote:turned it down.

Now he countered with:

I give: 1.4, 2.4 and Alex Smith

I get: Wayne

deal, no deal, or counter with me getting something like a future 2nd
I like it for you. Wayne is money in the bank for atleast a few more years. The 1.4 is good, but just outside the top 3 everyone seems to have pegged. The 2.4 is a carp shoot. And I personally think Smith ahs little to no value. You have much better back up options anyway.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 pm

agreed that smith has no value and could care less about giving him up :lol:

but breaking it down the 1.4 will give me 1 of probably 3 choices. Spiller for sure will be gone, probably Matthews, and Bryant as well. Leaving me a choice of Best, a QB, or the #2 WR. Not liking that all that much. But if Bryant were to fall to me...and that is not all that unlikely since RB usually goes fast unless someone like Calvin Johnson is there...and maybe even someone like Bradford could go...although unlikely. 2.4 is a crap shoot for sure. decisions decisions....always struggle weighing the excitement of drafting players vs the actual risk involved. the bust rate of rookies is something that should make this easy but for whatever reason it doesn't

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I wouldn't take the offer. It's fair but why add to your strength instead of trying to upgrade somewhere else?

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I wouldn't take the offer. It's fair but why add to your strength instead of trying to upgrade somewhere else?
agreed. You have good young WRs, why get old there? how many WRs do you start anyway?

I think you need to redirect your focus on upgrading a RB. I'd be prone to stick with the pick - after the NFL draft this weekend, you might get some more ideas for that 1.04. Or someone who can help you upgrade might like the pick.

-oo-

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 pm

meineymoe wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I wouldn't take the offer. It's fair but why add to your strength instead of trying to upgrade somewhere else?
agreed. You have good young WRs, why get old there? how many WRs do you start anyway?

I think you need to redirect your focus on upgrading a RB. I'd be prone to stick with the pick - after the NFL draft this weekend, you might get some more ideas for that 1.04. Or someone who can help you upgrade might like the pick.
-oo-
x2...I think a deal for a WR is ok if it helps you deal for an RB but I wouldn't be dealing for a WR just for the sake of dealing.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: team advice

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Indygator wrote:looking for input into what to do with my team in my sig. Been a pretty high scoring team and usually been in the upper half in points scored but have seemed to be snake bitten the last couple of years and seem to get every teams best scoring output against me and have missed the playoffs 2 times in a row...though i feel im only a player or 2 from really contending again.

I see RB as your biggest area of need. Add a RB (or two). Leave the other positions alone (they're not broke, don't fix 'em). My 2cents.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am

ok so i turned down that deal and looking for maybe a RB now.

the same guy with Wayne and the only guy that really loves to talk trades and make things happen, has some decent RB but the only one i would really consider making a play for is MJD. What would be a good starting off point for him? this is an 8 team league and i have picks 1.4, 1.7, and 2.4 to play with. So essentially that is picks 4, 7, and 12.