The OchoCinco

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

The OchoCinco

Postby BubbaBurst » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 am

I've been going back and forth on his value and was hoping to get some opinions. I'm thinking about either selling him in one league I own him, or trying to add him in some other leagues, but I can't seem to figure out his value.

Two years ago he was awful. He had been a WR1 for so many years before it was odd to see him fall off the cliff so fast. And if you scour the archives of this board you will see that I was definately one of the people who thought he was done. But last year he had a very solid year. He was a rock solid WR2 all year long.

So this coming season, he's getting up there in age. They added Bryant accross from him, which could be good or bad depending on how you see it. And it looks to me that Carson Palmer is a very average quarterback. He's perfectly fine for the Bengals, but certainly not elite. Throw in the fact that the Bengals are a running team now, and that they want to draft another wide out, and I'm thinking it might be time to sell Ocho (maybe I can find someone who's a fan of dancing with the stars).

I was thinking about putting him out on the block (and this is in the DLF1 league, so if you're interested we can bypass all this and you can make me an offer i can't refuse). I was wondering if i was expecting too much if i looked for a late 1st/early 2nd this year plus a 2011 first. My wideouts would be hurting this year unless Welker makes a miraculous recovery, but regardless of his value to my team, i'd like to move him while he still has value to anyone else.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Re: The OchoCinco

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 am

BubbaBurst wrote:I've been going back and forth on his value and was hoping to get some opinions. I'm thinking about either selling him in one league I own him, or trying to add him in some other leagues, but I can't seem to figure out his value.

Two years ago he was awful. He had been a WR1 for so many years before it was odd to see him fall off the cliff so fast. And if you scour the archives of this board you will see that I was definately one of the people who thought he was done. But last year he had a very solid year. He was a rock solid WR2 all year long.

So this coming season, he's getting up there in age. They added Bryant accross from him, which could be good or bad depending on how you see it. And it looks to me that Carson Palmer is a very average quarterback. He's perfectly fine for the Bengals, but certainly not elite. Throw in the fact that the Bengals are a running team now, and that they want to draft another wide out, and I'm thinking it might be time to sell Ocho (maybe I can find someone who's a fan of dancing with the stars).

I was thinking about putting him out on the block (and this is in the DLF1 league, so if you're interested we can bypass all this and you can make me an offer i can't refuse). I was wondering if i was expecting too much if i looked for a late 1st/early 2nd this year plus a 2011 first. My wideouts would be hurting this year unless Welker makes a miraculous recovery, but regardless of his value to my team, i'd like to move him while he still has value to anyone else.
If you think you can get 2 first round picks for Ocho then yes, you are vastly overvaluing him. He might get you a late first this year from someone who really likes him, but I highly doubt he draws even that.

He has moved into the Hines Ward "still productive but too old to trade for" category. You will likely end up holding him until the wheels fall off, or settling for a 2nd round pick as his market value.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: The OchoCinco

Postby thewhyterabbit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:23 am

thevidon2 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:I've been going back and forth on his value and was hoping to get some opinions. I'm thinking about either selling him in one league I own him, or trying to add him in some other leagues, but I can't seem to figure out his value.

If you think you can get 2 first round picks for Ocho then yes, you are vastly overvaluing him. He might get you a late first this year from someone who really likes him, but I highly doubt he draws even that.

He has moved into the Hines Ward "still productive but too old to trade for" category. You will likely end up holding him until the wheels fall off, or settling for a 2nd round pick as his market value.
late 1st is the best you can hope for... hes still productive, but as said above noone wants to trade for him.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 am

Chad's value is very low right now, too low IMO. If Palmer can regain the strength in his arm Chad could still be a low end WR1 for a couple of more seasons.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 am

Steelersfan wrote:Chad's value is very low right now, too low IMO. If Palmer can regain the strength in his arm Chad could still be a low end WR1 for a couple of more seasons.
Would you trade more than a late first for him? (or even that much....?)

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 am

thevidon2 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Chad's value is very low right now, too low IMO. If Palmer can regain the strength in his arm Chad could still be a low end WR1 for a couple of more seasons.
If I felt that I was a WR away from seriously contending then I wouldn't hesitate moving a late first for him.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 am

Steelersfan wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:
If I felt that I was a WR away from seriously contending then I wouldn't hesitate moving a late first for him.
I was thinking someone might be willing to do this. And my initial thought is to not even target a 2010 1st. I was thinking a 2011 1st would be the starting point and I would likely ask for another pick or an upside player.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

The numbers two seasons ago were easily demonstrable to be the presence of Fitzpatrick behind center and they can be ignored for the purposes of value. He still has plenty enough left in the tank for 2-3 more 1000 yard seasons. He's not an elite player anymore, but is most definitely a guy who can fill a WR2/WR3 role on a team. He'll get his 1000 yards an 8-10 TDs. If you have a team in need of a WR a late 1st is easy to give up for a player like that.

I am an owner who is never afraid to carry a couple of older players on my teams when they are still productive. They are typically low risk, low investment, and they help you win. As long as my team has plenty of young promising talent its easy to roster a couple of those guys.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 am

Steelersfan wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:
I agree, but the OP was seeking a late first AND another first or second round pick. I was asking if you would trade away MORE than a late first.......

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

I'm having a similar issue trying to off load Reggie Wayne. Reggie Wayne??? None of the owners want to part with 1st rounders because "he is too old". Screw that, he's way more valuable than what I've been offered so I'll keep him.

Ocho may be getting up there but he is still the WR1 and Carson's favorite target. Carson's fantasy decline is also partly to blame. If the Bengals draft Gresham it opens things up outside possibly. I don't think Bryant will steal Ocho's production as much as he will compliment him like Housh did for all those years. If you're not getting what you see as fair value I would hold him and reap the rewards of the improved offensive talent around him this year. You may be able to move him during the season once he lights it up.

Me personally I would not move a late first for him unless I needed WR help. In that case a 2-3 year rental for a late first is worth the investment for someone that can contend right away by adding Ocho.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am

I traded Ocho for Britt and 2.2 and I think that was a good deal for both teams.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

hosler427 wrote:I traded Ocho for Britt and 2.2 and I think that was a good deal for both teams.
That was a very good deal. Dan. I just traded Ochocinco straight up for J Maclin. I don't know if it was agood deal or not?

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06 am

yumbo wrote:
hosler427 wrote:I traded Ocho for Britt and 2.2 and I think that was a good deal for both teams.
That was a very good deal. Dan. I just traded Ochocinco straight up for J Maclin. I don't know if it was agood deal or not?
I like both deals - trading away Ocho.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 am

thevidon2 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
thevidon2 wrote: Would you trade more than a late first for him? (or even that much....?)
I agree, but the OP was seeking a late first AND another first or second round pick. I was asking if you would trade away MORE than a late first.......
Only if one of my starters went down, my bench was terrible, and I felt I could contend with Chad.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 pm

yumbo wrote:
Yes, very nice deal.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.