Torry Holt to be realeased, what's your take?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Torry Holt to be realeased, what's your take?

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:25 am

From Rotoworld:

The Jaguars informed Torry Holt that he will be released next week.

Holt, 33, was the Jags' third-leading receiver in 2009, registering 51 catches for 722 yards. Holt played ten seasons in St. Louis before signing with Jacksonville last April. Mike Thomas could ascend to Holt's starting spot in 2010. Teams can not release players until the Monday after the Super Bowl.

Do this boost 1, 2, all of the Jags WR core fantasy wise? I wonder if Holt is going to hang'em up.

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 am

I loved Mike Thomas this past year, and I love him even more now.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 am

cowboys85 wrote:I loved Mike Thomas this past year, and I love him even more now.
I agree. Holt would be wise to hang 'em up IMO.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Torry Holt to be realeased, what's your take?

Postby Pilate » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 am

hot nikkels wrote:From Rotoworld:

Holt, 33, was the Jags' third-leading receiver in 2009, registering 51 catches for 722 yards. Holt played ten seasons in St. Louis before signing with Jacksonville last April. Mike Thomas could ascend to Holt's starting spot in 2010. Teams can not release players until the Monday after the Super Bowl.

Do this boost 1, 2, all of the Jags WR core fantasy wise? I wonder if Holt is going to hang'em up.
I said buy Mike Thomas as a rookie but if he is available then get him. If you play in very deep leagues grab Tiquan Underwood (long shot but has opportunity).

----------------
Now playing: Blue October - Should Be Loved

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

Pilate wrote:

I said buy Mike Thomas as a rookie but if he is available then get him. If you play in very deep leagues grab Tiquan Underwood (long shot but has opportunity).
----------------
Let's not forget Dillard who was actually Holt's backup last year, until he broke his leg/ankle.

I think Thomas is a life-long slot receiver. He's NOT the next Smiff.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:30 am

hostile wrote:
Pilate wrote:

----------------
Let's not forget Dillard who was actually Holt's backup last year, until he broke his leg/ankle.

I would be surprised if Dillard is available in most dynasty leagues. He's not in any of mine...

----------------
Now playing: Blue October - Blue Does

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Pilate wrote:
hostile wrote:
Pilate wrote: I said buy Mike Thomas as a rookie but if he is available then get him. If you play in very deep leagues grab Tiquan Underwood (long shot but has opportunity).
----------------

I would be surprised if Dillard is available in most dynasty leagues. He's not in any of mine...

----------------

i liked dillard alot better than thomas coming out... i think he has more upside...

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Pilate wrote:
hostile wrote: Let's not forget Dillard who was actually Holt's backup last year, until he broke his leg/ankle.

----------------

i liked dillard alot better than thomas coming out... i think he has more upside...
Not to keep pimping myself here...but if one wants to use the search funtion on this site, you will see I was the first person ever to talk about Jarrett Dillard and thought Steve was mistaken when he left him off his WR list. I loved Dillard coming out of college....

That being said, your crazy saying Dillard has more upside then Thomas. Dillard possesses great hands, runs good routes and has fantastic leaping ability. He is a possession receiver period. He is slow and does not get off the jam well.

Thomas possesses elite speed and very good hands. Speed kills in this league...just ask Chris Johnson and DeSean Jackson. Thomas athletically is off the charts and is a playmaker.

I will take an elite speed / athletic / very good hands / playmaker guy over a possession receiver any day of the week unless his name was Wes Welker pre-injury. Wes Welker was the exception and not the rule when it comes to skill set and what translates better to the NFL from a fantasy perspective.

I am not knocking Dillard at all...but saying he has more upside is incorrect my friend. :lol:

----------------
Now playing: Ready For The World - Long Time Coming

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Pilate wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:
Pilate wrote: I would be surprised if Dillard is available in most dynasty leagues. He's not in any of mine...

----------------

Not to keep pimping myself here...but if one wants to use the search funtion on this site, you will see I was the first person ever to talk about Jarrett Dillard and thought Steve was mistaken when he left him off his WR list. I loved Dillard coming out of college....

That being said, your crazy saying Dillard has more upside then Thomas. Dillard possesses great hands, runs good routes and has fantastic leaping ability. He is a possession receiver period. He is slow and does not get off the jam well.

Thomas possesses elite speed and very good hands. Speed kills in this league...just ask Chris Johnson and DeSean Jackson. Thomas athletically is off the charts and is a playmaker.

I will take an elite speed / athletic / very good hands / playmaker guy over a possession receiver any day of the week unless his name was Wes Welker pre-injury. Wes Welker was the exception and not the rule when it comes to skill set and what translates better to the NFL from a fantasy perspective.

I am not knocking Dillard at all...but saying he has more upside is incorrect my friend. :lol:
Speed may kill, but if Mike Thomas is DeSean Jackson, Dillard could be Marques Colston or Brandon Marshall....a point to ponder. 8-)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Speed may kill, but if Mike Thomas is DeSean Jackson, Dillard could be Marques Colston or Brandon Marshall....a point to ponder. 8-)
Not unless he grows 4-6 inches this offseason.

Two things he lacks: elite speed and height. I love everything else about his game though.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Pilate wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

hostile wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Not unless he grows 4-6 inches this offseason.

Two things he lacks: elite speed and height. I love everything else about his game though.
I have to admit - I thought Dillard was taller. Now that I think back and remember: when I scouted both players last year, I watched video of Dillard and of Thomas from the same source and I admired the way Dillard caught the ball - much better than Thomas. Thomas did have a great number of catches in college.

Thomas does have the speed edge - but then so does Braylon Edwards. :oops:

Dillard can really catch it. It will be interesting to follow these two players, because there are a few who drafted Dillard ahead of Thomas and I was one of them.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Pilate wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

Colston and Marshall are both very tall. Dillard is little like Jackson

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 pm

hot nikkels wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Pilate wrote: Not to keep pimping myself here...but if one wants to use the search funtion on this site, you will see I was the first person ever to talk about Jarrett Dillard and thought Steve was mistaken when he left him off his WR list. I loved Dillard coming out of college....

Colston and Marshall are both very tall. Dillard is little like Jackson
Read the post just above yours.
8-)

dmacizdman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dmacizdman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Beat writer Neil Hayes speculates that the Bears could pursue Torry Holt once the veteran is released.
Holt will obviously be linked to the Bears now that his old coach is Chicago's offensive coordinator. Holt would be a great mentor for the Bears' young receivers trying to learn Martz's system, but we doubt he would be anything more than the No. 4 receiver.
bleh. this is their vision of an upgrade? i don't care that he would be back with martz. that didn't work for bruce. jerry angelo keeps leaving his head up his arse when it comes to receivers.