Teams Resting Players

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Teams Resting Players

Postby skip » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:24 am

We are having an ongoing discussion on another site regarding the concern about NFL teams resting players and a possible solution as there are inevitably games where teams end up "throwing" the game by doing so and it having playoff implications.

Several ideas were bantered about (some not so good - particularly a suggestion about seeding the playoffs based on some kind of voting and weighting the end of the season games), however I think one of the posters came up with a solid solution:

Schedule the last 2 or 3 games of the season (I like 3) against your division. Any playoff implications of those games would impact your division rivals. There will still be games where a team can rest starters in a game that has no impact on the playoffs. But in general this solves the one fundamental issue where those games do impact the playoffs.

Thoughts?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Teams Resting Players

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:31 am

skip wrote:We are having an ongoing discussion on another site regarding the concern about NFL teams resting players and a possible solution as there are inevitably games where teams end up "throwing" the game by doing so and it having playoff implications.

Several ideas were bantered about (some not so good - particularly a suggestion about seeding the playoffs based on some kind of voting and weighting the end of the season games), however I think one of the posters came up with a solid solution:

Schedule the last 2 or 3 games of the season (I like 3) against your division. Any playoff implications of those games would impact your division rivals. There will still be games where a team can rest starters in a game that has no impact on the playoffs. But in general this solves the one fundamental issue where those games do impact the playoffs.

Thoughts?
i dont think it would change it a bit... if a team has already clinched a playoff spot... youve already won your division... team generally start resting players at weeks 14 or beyond... im not even sure if there is a solution... i think this was actually brought up at the NFL owners meetings last year...

the nfl season is a long season to keep everyone fresh and relatively healthy.... i think if you go 14-0 like the colts did you reserve the right to rest your starters if the games dont matter.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 am

voting system? maybe they can use the BCS in the NFL as well, then you would have to be undefeated and from a high profile division and market to be placed in the Super Bowl.

-oo-

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 am

One idea here is that you could have a selection committee like the NCAA tournament in basketball, where the committee decides on the seeds all of the teams that have made the playoffs. Perhaps this year a committee would've pushed San Diego ahead of Indy for the #1 seed with the way San Diego finished the season, coupled with Indy losing 2 games and resting players to end their season, which also means that Indy probably would've played for 16-0 and wouldn't rest its players if it knew that home field could be ripped away from them by a committee. In the NCAA basketball tourney, you'll often see a top tier team lose out on a #1 seed if they get upset in their conference tournament beforehand, you could see something similar happen here. Just a thought
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Teams Resting Players

Postby blacksheep » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:29 am

skip wrote:We are having an ongoing discussion on another site regarding the concern about NFL teams resting players and a possible solution as there are inevitably games where teams end up "throwing" the game by doing so and it having playoff implications.

Thoughts?
I like that idea. Unfortunately, with this current trend becoming more and more used, I think that we may never see another undefeated season. Mercury Morris can now relax.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Shawn wrote:One idea here is that you could have a selection committee like the NCAA tournament in basketball, where the committee decides on the seeds all of the teams that have made the playoffs. Perhaps this year a committee would've pushed San Diego ahead of Indy for the #1 seed with the way San Diego finished the season, coupled with Indy losing 2 games and resting players to end their season, which also means that Indy probably would've played for 16-0 and wouldn't rest its players if it knew that home field could be ripped away from them by a committee. In the NCAA basketball tourney, you'll often see a top tier team lose out on a #1 seed if they get upset in their conference tournament beforehand, you could see something similar happen here. Just a thought
This is pretty much the proposal that one of the posters mentioned that I hate. I don't like the idea of any kind of voting system in the NFL. You earn your spot or not based on record. One of the biggest problems in college football is that everything is by vote and who the best teams are supposed to be are determined before the season begins. I understand that the NFL teams would still get to the playoffs based on record, but the idea of subjectiveness from there is too unsettling.

I agree that teams earn the right to sit players if they want to, but I have a problem in that their decision to do so has a far reaching impact and I think that aspect needs to be minimized.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 pm

meineymoe wrote:voting system? maybe they can use the BCS in the NFL as well, then you would have to be undefeated and from a high profile division and market to be placed in the Super Bowl.

-oo-
haha... i likey

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:One idea here is that you could have a selection committee like the NCAA tournament in basketball, where the committee decides on the seeds all of the teams that have made the playoffs. Perhaps this year a committee would've pushed San Diego ahead of Indy for the #1 seed with the way San Diego finished the season, coupled with Indy losing 2 games and resting players to end their season, which also means that Indy probably would've played for 16-0 and wouldn't rest its players if it knew that home field could be ripped away from them by a committee. In the NCAA basketball tourney, you'll often see a top tier team lose out on a #1 seed if they get upset in their conference tournament beforehand, you could see something similar happen here. Just a thought
This is pretty much the proposal that one of the posters mentioned that I hate. I don't like the idea of any kind of voting system in the NFL. You earn your spot or not based on record. One of the biggest problems in college football is that everything is by vote and who the best teams are supposed to be are determined before the season begins. I understand that the NFL teams would still get to the playoffs based on record, but the idea of subjectiveness from there is too unsettling.

I agree that teams earn the right to sit players if they want to, but I have a problem in that their decision to do so has a far reaching impact and I think that aspect needs to be minimized.
I understand the opposition to this idea, but I think this idea could effectively stop the tanking, if the Colts knew that their #1 seed could be in jeopardy, right?
I'm not sure the playing teams in your division theory holds up either, as we remember as Browns fans 2 years ago when the Colts rested their starters against division rival Tennessee, giving Tennessee a wild card spot over the Browns, the Colts obviously didn't care that they were helping a division rival.

Also, another point to think about is that Goodell wants to expand the season to 18 games, so the tanking problem could even get worse with 2 extra games on the schedule.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 pm

the only reason this is an issue is because of fantasy football. I can't believe Goodell is getting involved.

About the only affect that this action had this season is that the Jets got into the playoffs, where otherwise they might not have. Well, after a pair of stunning upsets, they've proven that they belong.

Just leave it alone. Both teams still have 11 players on the field at all times, and all of them are NFL players.

-oo-

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:51 pm

meineymoe wrote:the only reason this is an issue is because of fantasy football. I can't believe Goodell is getting involved.

About the only affect that this action had this season is that the Jets got into the playoffs, where otherwise they might not have. Well, after a pair of stunning upsets, they've proven that they belong.

Just leave it alone. Both teams still have 11 players on the field at all times, and all of them are NFL players.

-oo-
i agree. sometimes change isnt for the better... whos to say the colts leave manning in the game and he gets injuried on that big hit pace put on his backup...? it isnt that big of a deal, they alllllllll get paid.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:41 pm

meineymoe wrote:the only reason this is an issue is because of fantasy football. I can't believe Goodell is getting involved.
Fantasy considerations may be partly at play, but I disagree that it is the only issue. Games have playoff implications. This season it was the Jets who got in because of someone resting their best players. As Shawn mentioned a couple seasons back the Titans got in because of it.

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:05 pm

-oo-
totally agree. Well, fantasy and season-ticket holders. If teams miss out on the playoffs because other teams rest players, win more games. Simple.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 pm

jimmo wrote:

-oo-
totally agree. Well, fantasy and season-ticket holders. If teams miss out on the playoffs because other teams rest players, win more games. Simple.
I think that's the biggest reason why something should be done. When people are paying top dollar for a ticket to watch an exhibition game, it must be frustrating. Some people make travel plans weeks before the game. Teams should lower ticket prices once they've clinched a playoff spot. HA!! Never gonna happen, but still.

I agree with the divisional game thing though. And I've noticed a few more games at the end of the season have gone that way anyway, but it might help a little more if it was possible to make the schedule that way right across the board. Some teams will clinch early, but for the most part they should be scheduling pre-season divisional favorites to play at the end of the season like they did with the NFC East this year. If not divisional rivals, then at least conference rivals/pre-season favorites.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:36 pm

skip wrote:
Fantasy considerations may be partly at play, but I disagree that it is the only issue. Games have playoff implications. This season it was the Jets who got in because of someone resting their best players. As Shawn mentioned a couple seasons back the Titans got in because of it.
did you READ the rest of my post? it wasn't that long :wink:

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:38 pm

jimmo wrote:

-oo-
season ticket holders. You're getting closer. It does involve money.....

I'm sure the biggest concern is advertising money. Why would Miller want to pay to advertise on a Colts broadcast if Manning isn't playing??????

-oo-