Why Do Some Write "XMas"?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Why Do Some Write "XMas"?

Postby Pilate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I have always wondered why some people do this. It has been said it is simply a quicker way to write Christmas but you rarely see people writing "Xball" or "Xsoft" or "X" anything frankly. But some people (I have noticed on this board as well) will write Xmas which is eliminating "Christ" from the word.

Help me understand this please.

----------------
Now playing: Aerosmith - You See Me Crying

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Found this on Yahoo answers to the same question.

Christ when written in Greek looks like an X. The early Christians wrote the X for Christ. In fact in many Episcopal churches, you will find the X with a vertical line in it with a curl at the top for Christ's name. X is Christ's name. It's just in a different language. Also, I can't tell you how many old (at least 80 years) post cards I have that say Merry or Happy X-mas.

Me I'll write it that way when I'm lazy or trying to write things the quickest/shortest way possible.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:12 pm

grimace wrote:Found this on Yahoo answers to the same question.

Christ when written in Greek looks like an X. The early Christians wrote the X for Christ. In fact in many Episcopal churches, you will find the X with a vertical line in it with a curl at the top for Christ's name. X is Christ's name. It's just in a different language. Also, I can't tell you how many old (at least 80 years) post cards I have that say Merry or Happy X-mas.

Me I'll write it that way when I'm lazy or trying to write things the quickest/shortest way possible.
I read this last year as well. I was like you Nate...I expected it to be a secular transformation made over the years but it was actually started by religion....interesting.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Unfortunately the word "Christmas" is being used less and less in society today due to "political correctness" gone too far :( Kids in school no longer have Christmas plays or events, as it now has to be called "Winter" or "Winter Holiday" . I don't see it being a real problem if someone says "Merry Christmas" to someone even if they aren't Christian, its not like you're trying to offend anyone or another religion. The vast majority of people in the U.S. celebrate Christmas every year, so I don't see why we need to limit using the word "Christmas" and not being able to publicly celebrate it in today's society.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am

Shawn wrote:Unfortunately the word "Christmas" is being used less and less in society today due to "political correctness" gone too far :( Kids in school no longer have Christmas plays or events, as it now has to be called "Winter" or "Winter Holiday" . I don't see it being a real problem if someone says "Merry Christmas" to someone even if they aren't Christian, its not like you're trying to offend anyone or another religion. The vast majority of people in the U.S. celebrate Christmas every year, so I don't see why we need to limit using the word "Christmas" and not being able to publicly celebrate it in today's society.
couldn't agree more. It has gotten to a disgusting point where potentially "offending" someone is more important the religious freedom. And actually it is beyond that because many non-religious people celebrate Christmas as well. It really is sickening....

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:42 am

I tend to roll my eyes at both sides of this argument. Do we really now when Jesus Christ was born? Christmas has its origin in pagan celebrations and early Christian church leaders used that date to easier assimilate new converts. So one could argue that Christmas season really isn't Christmas season. Better yet to enjoy the season in the spirit of the teachings of Christ. Wish someone whatever you want to wish someone and accept anothers season tidings in the spirit that they give it. Move on. Over the few millennia since the idea of religions have been conceived too many have suffered for not accepting another's belief.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 am

For what it's worth, I prefer to use the term XMess. :lol:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am

highballers wrote:I tend to roll my eyes at both sides of this argument. Do we really now when Jesus Christ was born? Christmas has its origin in pagan celebrations and early Christian church leaders used that date to easier assimilate new converts. So one could argue that Christmas season really isn't Christmas season. Better yet to enjoy the season in the spirit of the teachings of Christ. Wish someone whatever you want to wish someone and accept anothers season tidings in the spirit that they give it. Move on. Over the few millennia since the idea of religions have been conceived too many have suffered for not accepting another's belief.
Does it matter when Jesus was born? This is when everyone celebrates it so the actual time frame doesn't matter. Honestly, I would feel a little different if this country was founded to get away from religion but it was founded expressly for the purpose of freedom to worship. So it was and is freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion.... :D

PS This is just my opinion...please don't take me too seriously and start a DLF religious war :lol: I usually don't express my opinion on religion because of this

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 pm

hosler427 wrote:
highballers wrote:I tend to roll my eyes at both sides of this argument. Do we really now when Jesus Christ was born? Christmas has its origin in pagan celebrations and early Christian church leaders used that date to easier assimilate new converts. So one could argue that Christmas season really isn't Christmas season. Better yet to enjoy the season in the spirit of the teachings of Christ. Wish someone whatever you want to wish someone and accept anothers season tidings in the spirit that they give it. Move on. Over the few millennia since the idea of religions have been conceived too many have suffered for not accepting another's belief.
Does it matter when Jesus was born? This is when everyone celebrates it so the actual time frame doesn't matter. Honestly, I would feel a little different if this country was founded to get away from religion but it was founded expressly for the purpose of freedom to worship. So it was and is freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion.... :D

PS This is just my opinion...please don't take me too seriously and start a DLF religious war :lol: I usually don't express my opinion on religion because of this
I agree with you Dan. I guess I didn't make my point very well. We don't know when Christ's actual birthday is so I was trying to say the season title doesn't matter. Its the thought that he lived and put forth great ideas through his teachings. And yes freedom of religion, of which there are several, is one of the basic ideas in the founding of this nation. So I try to be tolerant of other's beliefs as long as they do not upset the domestic tranquility of this nation and are not harmful to others.

This is difficult subject to talk about as many have very passionate ideas and I apologize. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Happy birthday to all. :) Hope everyone has a great time with family and friends.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Merry Christmas to all!

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 pm

highballers wrote:
hosler427 wrote:

I agree with you Dan. I guess I didn't make my point very well. We don't know when Christ's actual birthday is so I was trying to say the season title doesn't matter. Its the thought that he lived and put forth great ideas through his teachings. And yes freedom of religion, of which there are several, is one of the basic ideas in the founding of this nation. So I try to be tolerant of other's beliefs as long as they do not upset the domestic tranquility of this nation and are not harmful to others.

This is difficult subject to talk about as many have very passionate ideas and I apologize. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Happy birthday to all. :) Hope everyone has a great time with family and friends.
Good call...I did misunderstand your first post....well put.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Merry Christmas to all!
Merry Christmas!! Image

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Pilate wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Merry Christmas to all!
Merry Christmas!! Image
Merry Christmas! :)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:52 pm

hosler427 wrote:
Shawn wrote:Unfortunately the word "Christmas" is being used less and less in society today due to "political correctness" gone too far :( Kids in school no longer have Christmas plays or events, as it now has to be called "Winter" or "Winter Holiday" . I don't see it being a real problem if someone says "Merry Christmas" to someone even if they aren't Christian, its not like you're trying to offend anyone or another religion. The vast majority of people in the U.S. celebrate Christmas every year, so I don't see why we need to limit using the word "Christmas" and not being able to publicly celebrate it in today's society.
couldn't agree more. It has gotten to a disgusting point where potentially "offending" someone is more important the religious freedom. And actually it is beyond that because many non-religious people celebrate Christmas as well. It really is sickening....
running a business, technically we are not allowed to say merry christmas at all. we have to say happy holidays. legally we are liable if we use the term "christmas" ... i think thats pretty weak. i generally repeat what is said to me. so if someone says merry christmas, i say the same back. same with happy holidays... people are just too sensitive nowadays and want to sue over anything. iv taken a few law classes, and over hearing me saying merry christmas to someone that said it to me is within guidelines, but frowned upon by corporations.

personally i think its weak... if i hear someone say something else from a different religion i just see it as them wishing me a good holiday or "christmas" society has become overly aggressive with the lawsuit thing.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
running a business, technically we are not allowed to say merry christmas at all. we have to say happy holidays. legally we are liable if we use the term "christmas" ... i think thats pretty weak. i generally repeat what is said to me. so if someone says merry christmas, i say the same back. same with happy holidays... people are just too sensitive nowadays and want to sue over anything. iv taken a few law classes, and over hearing me saying merry christmas to someone that said it to me is within guidelines, but frowned upon by corporations.

personally i think its weak... if i hear someone say something else from a different religion i just see it as them wishing me a good holiday or "christmas" society has become overly aggressive with the lawsuit thing.
Wait a second. You state "legally we are liable" but then say it is "frowned upon by corporations." These are two different issues (legality vs company policy) and maybe you can clarify your above post.

I am no lawyer, but work in the law field and there is no way by saying "Merry Christmas", you can be held liable for anything. I am probably misunderstanding what you are saying so I won't explode all over this forum about how asinine that would be if this country ever got to that point.

----------------
Now playing: U2 - Bad