Draft question

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Draft question

Postby grimace » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 am

How does other leagues set the draft spots for Playoff teams? Is the spot awarded where you finish in the playoffs, or like the NFL where is awarded based on record and the two last teams to choose are the ones that make it to the championship game?

Thanks

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:54 am

I have always done it from their playoff finish...Teams that don't make the playoffs get picks 1-6 in order of lowest record and tiebreaker being the lower point total. The first two teams out of the playoffs get picks 7 and 8. The teams eliminated in the semi-finals gets 9-10 and the teams in the championship get 11-12.

I can see an argument for the other way though. Both have there positives...

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Draft question

Postby grimace » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 pm

grimace wrote:How does other leagues set the draft spots for Playoff teams? Is the spot awarded where you finish in the playoffs, or like the NFL where is awarded based on record and the two last teams to choose are the ones that make it to the championship game?

Thanks
This is for a league I'm co-commishing and I don't know if we had this part set before the season, just wanted to have it set before the season ends so there is no problems.

Thnx for the feed back

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm

grimace wrote:
grimace wrote:How does other leagues set the draft spots for Playoff teams? Is the spot awarded where you finish in the playoffs, or like the NFL where is awarded based on record and the two last teams to choose are the ones that make it to the championship game?

Thanks
This is for a league I'm co-commishing and I don't know if we had this part set before the season, just wanted to have it set before the season ends so there is no problems.

Thnx for the feed back
yikes. as an owner, I'd like to know what I"m playing for, draft pick wise.

In dynasty, I'd go playoff finish as well, and also record and total points for non playoff teams.

-oo-

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Actually was set by the main commish, I was just jumping the gun just in case it wasn't for some reason. Just wanted to have an idea of what other did just in case. So never mind, but thnx for the input.

WashingtonFever
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WashingtonFever » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks
12 team league - 2 divisions (top three from each division go to playoffs, playoffs are separated by division so the top team from one division plays the top team from the other division as our super bowl)

worst overall record to the 6th worst overall record get our first 6 picks (tie breaker is points, lower the points = better draft spot if tied record)

For the playoff teams, the lowest point score in week 14 of the eliminated teams picks 7th, the other team picks 8th.
The other 4 remaining picks depends on how they finish the season. Champ gets last pick, runner up 2nd to last and so on.

NateNFL
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby NateNFL » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 am

We use playoff finish to determine picks 7-12 but a lottery to decide picks 1-6 (non-playoff teams). The worst team gets 6 lottery balls, next worst 5 ... the best team that did not make the playoffs gets 1 lottery ball. Then we draw for the top 6 picks. Just makes sure that teams aren't tempted to tank a game at the end.
Nate Hodges @NateNFL
Pro Football Focus Fantasy IDP Writer
Top Tier Football.com
Projection Podcast

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 pm

spider09 wrote:We use playoff finish to determine picks 7-12 but a lottery to decide picks 1-6 (non-playoff teams). The worst team gets 6 lottery balls, next worst 5 ... the best team that did not make the playoffs gets 1 lottery ball. Then we draw for the top 6 picks. Just makes sure that teams aren't tempted to tank a game at the end.
I like this. would be even more apropos in fantasy basketball. 8-)

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

hosler427 wrote:I have always done it from their playoff finish...Teams that don't make the playoffs get picks 1-6 in order of lowest record and tiebreaker being the lower point total. The first two teams out of the playoffs get picks 7 and 8. The teams eliminated in the semi-finals gets 9-10 and the teams in the championship get 11-12.

I can see an argument for the other way though. Both have there positives...
Same.

andy77725
Role Player
Role Player

Postby andy77725 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:42 pm

They changed that rule this offseason.

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL owners concluded their annual meeting Wednesday by voting to alter the draft order of picks Nos. 21 through 30 based on the teams' performance in the playoffs.

The competition committee recommended the change -- which the owners passed 32-0 -- after watching the San Diego Chargers go 8-8 as a division champion in 2008, then win a game in the playoffs. But the Chargers drafted ahead of teams that didn't make the playoffs, and well ahead of the Indianapolis Colts, whom they beat in the playoffs.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:03 pm

andy77725 wrote:They changed that rule this offseason.

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL owners concluded their annual meeting Wednesday by voting to alter the draft order of picks Nos. 21 through 30 based on the teams' performance in the playoffs.

The competition committee recommended the change -- which the owners passed 32-0 -- after watching the San Diego Chargers go 8-8 as a division champion in 2008, then win a game in the playoffs. But the Chargers drafted ahead of teams that didn't make the playoffs, and well ahead of the Indianapolis Colts, whom they beat in the playoffs.
Good stuff there. I didn't recall seeing that before. Is there a link you could provide (what is the source of this info?). Thanks. :)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

In our 14 team league, we have 8 playoff spots, so the 1-6 picks go to the teams that failed to qualify for a spot. Then since we have payouts for 1st through 3rd, those teams get the 12th, 13th, & 14th picks based on playoff finish. The final 5 picks for the playoff teams then is based on regular season order of finish because other wise teams would just throw their consolation games to get a better pick. So picks 7-11 get picks based on regular season performance. We have alot of playoff teams so I think this works well for such a format to ensure competetive games through out.

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
andy77725 wrote: They changed that rule this offseason.

Good stuff there. I didn't recall seeing that before. Is there a link you could provide (what is the source of this info?). Thanks.
Found a link from March 26, 2009:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... NHeadlines

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

My league uses the playoffs for picks as well as the toilet bowl. 8 team league with top 4 in playoffs. Bottom 4 in the toilet bowl...winner of the toilet bowl bracket gets #1, runner up#2, the losers of the first round play a game for the #3 and #4 picks. Then winner of the league gets #8 with runner up #7 and losers of the first round play for #5 and #6 with the winner getting #6 and their leauge fee back while the loser gets the better draft pick.
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks
That's how we do it. Everyone gets their pick based on how they finish the regular season. The only exception is that the champion gets the last pick and the loser of the championship game gets the 2nd to last pick. I think it just makes sense to do it like the NFL does.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings