Percy and Ronnie

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:49 am

Misfit74 wrote:
bobbytheo3 wrote:Harvin's rookie year numbers are nearly identical to Desean Jackson's and the skill set is similar.
The skill-set might be similar but the role in the offense isn't. Harvin WR3 (with WR2 upside). Jackson WR1 or WR2, depending on who you ask. I agree with Skip.

Also, Harvin is no Steve Smith (CAR). I'll be curious to know the first game Harvin is ever triple-covered like he was vs. Seattle in the 2005 NFC Championship game. Smith also has played with an enormous chip on his shoulder and is an extremely competitive, fiery guy. I have to see a lot more from Harvin - A LOT more before I'm ready to proclaim him the next Steve Smith (CAR). Their measurables are similar (vertical, 40-time, etc.), with Harvin being taller and heavier by small margin. Personally, I don't view Harvin ever being a #1 WR ever, let alone an elite #1 WR like Smith has been for nearly a decade. And I don't even like Steve Smith. :o
But isn't skill set the type of thing you need to compare when comparing a young upcoming player to an older more established player? Everyone compares young players to an older player with a similar skill and not necessarily the production. Im more or less responding to the comparison of Harvin and Smith and not Harvin and Jackson because i don't see that one. But the Harvin to Smith one is one i've made for a while myself and it's not really fair to compare anything other than just the skill set. You can't compare one persons production 10 years into the league over a rookie. Now to compare them early in their careers you are saying after 1 pretty impressive rookie year you don't see Harvin being a #1...well how did you feel about Smith after his rookie year? Or even his 2nd year? Harvins 1st year is more impressive and put up better overall stats than Smiths first 2. Smith's first 2 years he combined for 64 rec, 1026 yards, 3 TD. Harvin rookie season 60 rec, 790 yards, 6 TD + 2 return TD.
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave