Santonio Holmes trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:11 am

thevidon2 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote:It might cost a lil more now than if you wuld have got him as a Rook. Im just tooting my own horn a tad cuz I did in many leagues.

Sorry to brag..but I couldnt resist. :D
He had a very solid rookie season. But that was as a third wide out not facing any starting caliber corners and running a lot of out patterns. His value definately gets a nice sized bump up in my rankings, but I am not going to annoint him the next great wide out. I have not seen that from him... yet.
You can try and pigeonhole him all you want, but Wallace is a pretty complete WR. He runs slants, comebacks (very well), fly routes and is deadly on bubble screens. Take a look at some highlights from the first 7 weeks of his rookie season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZjZei6rwU

There is a lot of variety in the routes he runs there, and the idea that Wallace only runs 1 type of route has been pretty categorically shown to be false. Also Wallace ran a 4.28 at the combine - unless Chris Johnson is trying to chase him down from behind there is nobody in the league catching this guy in a footrace.
Very much agree. I dealt Desean Jackson (not DJax, btw) away for Britt, Wallace and Michael Bush this off-season with a lot of expectations from Wallace. I am even more excited about that deal today as there isn't going to be anyone in his way from a starting role this season.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 am

I agree yet disagree. Regardless of the obvious need to ship his A$$ out.. ONe cant completely do so without getting something in return. Steelers got nothing in return . Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Unless there is a matter plan or scheme where that pick results in a opportunity (as stated previously) to move up or trade for something.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

Salty Dawg wrote:I agree yet disagree. Regardless of the obvious need to ship his A$$ out.. ONe cant completely do so without getting something in return. Steelers got nothing in return . Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Unless there is a matter plan or scheme where that pick results in a opportunity (as stated previously) to move up or trade for something.
I think they saw the writing on the wall here. It was pretty evident they had no plans to keep him beyond this season. He is going to be an UFA after 2010 and will miss the first 4 games of the season. It was going to be tough to find someone willing to pay a considerable enough price for a player they might only have for 12 weeks.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 am

I'm reading that they were going to cut him, so the 5'th was just a desperate 'take what we can get'. Apparently they contacted several teams and the 5'th was the highest offer they got.

Better than cutting him outright I guess...

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 am

in this scenario than it was Ok I guess to simply go this route. cant believe a "desperate team" wouldnt have offered a 4th at least.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 am

Salty Dawg wrote:in this scenario than it was Ok I guess to simply go this route. cant believe a "desperate team" wouldnt have offered a 4th at least.
I really think the suspension combined with the fact hes in the last year of his contract handicapped the steelers.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 am

I traded Mike Wallace this offseason in a package to Brice in the Charter league...ouch. :cry:

----------------
Now playing: Relient K - Who I Am Hates Who I've Been [Acoustic]

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Santonio Holmes trade

Postby jimmo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
Santonio Holmes-WR-Jets Apr. 11 - 11:31 pm et

Jets acquired WR Santonio Holmes from the Steelers in exchange for a 2010 fifth-round pick (No. 151 overall).

For all those who were comparing Wallace to Nate Washington and were unconvinced he had the skills to be a full time starter, what are your thoughts at this point? I think it's unlikely the Steelers draft a WR over him but you never know. If they make it out of the first two rounds without a WR selected I think its safe to say that Wallace's value is getting a huge bump.
I know I was one of "all those" (and I don't remember any others!), and I remain unconvinced. A trade doesn't automatically give a player the skills to be a full time starter, but I do agree Wallace's value is getting a huge bump right now. For him to be worth that huge bump, I need to see some things:
  • *Can he beat a jam off the line? I've never seen him do it, in college or pros. Doesn't mean he can't or hasn't, just that I haven't seen it. That ability, or lack thereof, becomes even more pronounced if he's expected to be Pittsburgh's #1 WR.

* Can he handle the extra attention? He was a mid- to late-round prospect after college for a reason- he simply wasn't very productive. He had a good week at the Senior Bowl and ran fast at the Combine, and as happens in the NFL, that got him into the third round. From what I read and saw then, many saw that as a bit of a reach but a good fit for the Steelers. Why was he a good fit for the Steelers specifically? Because they like to send their fast, single-covered, third receiver down the field.

* Will Pitt draft a receiver? This doesn't really hurt Wallace's value as much as the first two points, but I think they'll target a bigger guy on day 2. It won't affect Wallace much because that's not his job.
Now, is Wallace better than Nate Washington? Very likely, yes. He went to a higher-profile college, was actually drafted, and is slightly bigger and much faster. Does any of that mean Wallace didn't fill the "Nate Washington role" for the Steelers in '09? No. Can he fill the Santonio Holmes role in '10 and beyond? My opinion is no.