Holmgren To The Browns

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Holmgren To The Browns

Postby Pilate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:56 pm

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/mik ... rowns.html
The Cleveland Browns has agreed to terms with Mike Holmgren, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

The deal calls for Holmgren to serve strictly in a President/Executive Management capacity, as he will oversee all football operations

The estimated 10-year deal is believed to be worth $55 million. An announcement is expected next week.

While many believe that this move means Eric Mangini is a goner, there is talk that Holmgren may actually consider retaining the first-year head coach.

We will update this story accordingly.
----------------
Now playing: Simple Minds - Mandela Day

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Very good news for Browns fans.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Best move they have made in a very long time.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:10 pm

skip wrote:Best move they have made in a very long time.
Definitely agree. I think in the end he has to decide to go his own direction though and cut ties with Mangini.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 pm

hosler427 wrote:
skip wrote:Best move they have made in a very long time.
Definitely agree. I think in the end he has to decide to go his own direction though and cut ties with Mangini.
Still 4 days to go before Christmas and it's still on my list.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

This is GREAT for the Browns! Party at Skip's Tonight!!!!!!! :lol:

Mangini has rallied this past couple of weeks though, its been impressive that the Browns have played really well the past couple of weeks, considering that several of their best players are on IR and they've essentially won 2 straight games using many players from the Practice Squad (like Evan Moore) and players cut by other teams recently ( like Matt Roth). Other Browns teams in the past would've totally quit on the season by now like they did during the Crennel era. Not saying Mangini should be retained, but he definitely is making it somewhat harder to fire him. In the end, its Holmgren's call anyway, and he has a lot of coaches that he's friends with and is connected to.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Shawn wrote:This is GREAT for the Browns! Party at Skip's Tonight!!!!!!! :lol:
Pretty sure that very few would want to make that trip.

As an aside, I decided against trying to get to the Cleveland/KC game this season mostly because of money. Tickets alone were crazy expensive, but I guess that's what you get when dealing with a team that sells out every week for years and years (except ironically not this week). Sadly, I missed a couple of the greatest performances in club history.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:55 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:This is GREAT for the Browns! Party at Skip's Tonight!!!!!!! :lol:
Pretty sure that very few would want to make that trip.

As an aside, I decided against trying to get to the Cleveland/KC game this season mostly because of money. Tickets alone were crazy expensive, but I guess that's what you get when dealing with a team that sells out every week for years and years (except ironically not this week). Sadly, I missed a couple of the greatest performances in club history.

Big Week for you this week, it must be Christmas!
1. Holmgren to Browns
2. Record Setting day for Browns
3. Hartville Havoc Win - Congrats to you and good luck in the Championship! Nice Job!
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:27 pm

What is the early prognosis for the Browns skill players for 2010?

I'm most concerned about the RBs:
Davis (2009 6th rounder, finished on IR this year)
Harrison (broke Jim Brown's record last week, FA in 2010)
Jennings (UDFA 2009, is he the answer?)

I don't own the QBs or WRs (I don't trust cold-weather QBs or WRs, especially from Cleaveland), but I'm sure others would be curious if there are guesses about Quinn (the eskimo), Cribbs, and whoever else qualifies as "skills" from the Browns.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 pm

The Pyrate wrote:What is the early prognosis for the Browns skill players for 2010?

I don't own the QBs or WRs (I don't trust cold-weather QBs or WRs, especially from Cleaveland), but I'm sure others would be curious if there are guesses about Quinn (the eskimo), Cribbs, and whoever else qualifies as "skills" from the Browns.
Holmgren has a rep for developing QB (see: Favre, Hasselbeck). I think he'll put the right people in place to allow Quinn to succeed in a short-style passing game that fits his abilities. I like Mass and Robiskie, as well as Evan Moore as some young players that could contribute. As far as RB goes, I think they need to add one in the first 3 rounds of the draft. I don't see a long-term solution on their roster.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
The Pyrate wrote:What is the early prognosis for the Browns skill players for 2010?

Holmgren has a rep for developing QB (see: Favre, Hasselbeck). I think he'll put the right people in place to allow Quinn to succeed in a short-style passing game that fits his abilities. I like Mass and Robiskie, as well as Evan Moore as some young players that could contribute. As far as RB goes, I think they need to add one in the first 3 rounds of the draft. I don't see a long-term solution on their roster.
I think Robiskie matches up well with Quinn's strengths. He is very quick in small areas and has good route running/hands.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:08 pm

I've heard Charlie Weis is going to be considered for a position w/ the Browns, OC perhaps. Remember he coached Quinn at ND and led some great offenses while w/ NE.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Misfit74 wrote:I've heard Charlie Weis is going to be considered for a position w/ the Browns, OC perhaps. Remember he coached Quinn at ND and led some great offenses while w/ NE.
Same, Weis would be a great fit in Cleveland.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 am

I really would prefer someone else get the castoffs from a mediocre collegiate program.