Why do so many leagues only award 4 for passing TDs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Why do so many leagues only award 4 for passing TDs?

Postby hamburglar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:36 pm

It seems weak to me. A TD is a TD They go for SIX. I realize QBs tend to get significantly more than other positions but isn't that how it should be? In most leagues you can only start ONE... although I really enjoy the QB flex format myself.

I get why yardage is scored differently on scoring versus rushing and receiving, but it just feels lame with TDs.

Thoughts?

will6779
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Why do so many leagues only award 4 for passing TDs?

Postby will6779 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:24 pm

i feel the same way. yeah qbs can score 200 more pts than everyone else but its the same for everyone.
12 team, ppr,idp league. 35 man roster, 5 ts.
Start- qb,2-3rb,3-4wr,1-2te,pk, 2-3 dl, 2-3 lb, 2-3 db
Scoring- all tds 6 pts, lb&db 2/t, 4/sack. Dl 3/t 5/ sack

QB- luck, tannehill, mallet
RB- spiller,sproles,mathews,ingram p thomas, woodhead, f jackson, k davis, freeman
WR- brandon marshall d thomas,cobb,amendola , bolden, landry, bryant, watkins, carter
TE- Olsen, reed, ertz, housler, escobar
PK- Vinatary
DL- , quinn, dunlap, hankins
LB- Kueckly, bowman, greenway, v miller , ogletree, bostic, kirksey
DB- Beathea, weddel

Jimmy Graham Cracker
MVP
MVP

Postby Jimmy Graham Cracker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Never understood it either - the only thing it really does is give a slight value bump to QBs who run the ball in for TDs.

Otherwise, a rising tide lifts all boats.

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Most leagues want to have some positional parity. I've also played in leagues that awarded points differently based upon the length of TD. For instance, a one yard rushing TD only got you three points.

Personally, I commish a couple of leagues and award 6 points for passing TDs in both leagues, but curb the QBs yardage points compared to the other positions.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:03 pm

6 Pts in all my leagues.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Most leagues Im in are all 4pt for passing TDs. I think this works best though for leagues that are NON PPR. Just like PPR itself, it's a way to get scoring parity between all positions. I usually don't care what the scoring rules are for any position as long as they are stated clearly before the league starts up. The rules are the rules for all involved. Ill adjust accordingly.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Sharktank
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sharktank » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

I only play in 6 point for all td leagues.
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB
12 Teams 1 PPR IDP

QB - A. Rodgers, Eli, Bridgewater
RB - ADP, Ellington, T.Gerhart, B.Rainey, S.Taylor
RB - Gio, McKinnon, Turbin, D. Robinson, K.Davis,K.Moreno (ir)
WR - Megatron, P.Harvin, M.Wheaton, A. Holmes
WR - A.Jeffrey, B.Marshall, J. Blackmon, Marvin Jones
WR - A. Brown, Beckham Jr, H. Nicks
TE- J.Graham, T.Kelce, Harbor
DL - J.Casey, G.Hardy, M.Dareus, W.Young
LB - P.Willis, L.David, J.Houston, B.Marshall, D.Davis
DB - E.Berry, K. Vacarro (R), E.Thomas, A.Cason

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 am

I prefer the 6pts/TD for all positions as well.

The 4pts/TD for QB thing got popularized by WCOFF. Lot's and lot's of leagues just adopted their scoring format.

dlf_jacobf
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dlf_jacobf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 am

Personally, I prefer relative parity between the positions. It gives people many options to build a team and allows someone to win because they have the best Rbs, the best WRs, etc. It basically doesn't limit options.

If you make passing TDs 6 points, then the only way to win is to have a top 3 QB. When the average of the top 12 QBs each year is going to be in the upper 20s and the top guys are over 40, that is the equivalent of getting to start your top 3 quarter back plus a whole extra RB for free. It is just too unbalancing in my opinion. Forces teams to get a top tier QB if they want to compete.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am

dlf_jacobf wrote: If you make passing TDs 6 points, then the only way to win is to have a top 3 QB. When the average of the top 12 QBs each year is going to be in the upper 20s and the top guys are over 40, that is the equivalent of getting to start your top 3 quarter back plus a whole extra RB for free. It is just too unbalancing in my opinion. Forces teams to get a top tier QB if they want to compete.
This. I much prefer a closer balance between the positions. When one position scores huge amounts more than others, it can completely negate a lower scoring starter like TE or Defense.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 am

dlf_jacobf wrote:Personally, I prefer relative parity between the positions. It gives people many options to build a team and allows someone to win because they have the best Rbs, the best WRs, etc. It basically doesn't limit options.

If you make passing TDs 6 points, then the only way to win is to have a top 3 QB. When the average of the top 12 QBs each year is going to be in the upper 20s and the top guys are over 40, that is the equivalent of getting to start your top 3 quarter back plus a whole extra RB for free. It is just too unbalancing in my opinion. Forces teams to get a top tier QB if they want to compete.
But in most leagues you only start 1 QB, and at least 2 RBs or WRs...

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 am

dlf_jacobf wrote:Personally, I prefer relative parity between the positions. It gives people many options to build a team and allows someone to win because they have the best Rbs, the best WRs, etc. It basically doesn't limit options.

I don't think a top 3 QB is at all necessary to win. You could go almost 10 deep and still be competitive at the current level of depth. I can only assume this thinking is carrying from when it was Brees, Brady & Manning and a bunch of bums. Now you have Cam, RGIII, Luck, Ryan, Stafford & ARod at least that can keep your team competive even in a non-PPR league. Our league champ this year had Tony Romo at the helm with Matt Cassel as the backup.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

joekool
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekool » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I commish a 6pt league and won last year with Matty Ice at QB...and came in second with Eli running it (picked up Kaep in week 14 or 15).
Top 3 QB needed? Not likely if you ask me. Top 5 or 6? I'd say thats about right.
Yeah the rest of my team 1 is stacked..but theres 3 or 4 stacked teams in my league, and I called in all my picks and favors for this past year (hence all the young talent)..I have next to nothing for a couple years..but I am good to go during that span too!
Anyway..back on topic..top 3 needed to win it all? No. But top 10? ie..the cutoff around Eli or R. Wilson or Romo or something..then yes.

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Makes the other positions less relevant which makes the whole team building process less fun.

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:59 am

Pac_Eddy wrote:
dlf_jacobf wrote: If you make passing TDs 6 points, then the only way to win is to have a top 3 QB. When the average of the top 12 QBs each year is going to be in the upper 20s and the top guys are over 40, that is the equivalent of getting to start your top 3 quarter back plus a whole extra RB for free. It is just too unbalancing in my opinion. Forces teams to get a top tier QB if they want to compete.
This. I much prefer a closer balance between the positions. When one position scores huge amounts more than others, it can completely negate a lower scoring starter like TE or Defense.
I play in both settings, I really don't care as long as theres good parity between the positions. When I check the scoring and see the 1st 15 top players are QBs, I'm out of the league.