Aidan O'Connell: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What is O'Connell's outlook?

Legend - not necessarily Brady level, but a 10yr starter who would be startable in fantasy playoffs
18%
Myth - average to above average like JimmyG
19%
Man - decent backend starter material
29%
Flop - Mr Clipboard or bounced out altogether
34%

Total votes: 62

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Aidan O'Connell: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:11 pm

https://x.com/ericgalko/status/16936205 ... Y7TpDzV9jg
By his coaches and others around him, he’s already been compared to guys like Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins and Tom Brady.

Aidan is going to be a hell of an NFL QB. #Raiders fans can start getting excited.

I’d bet on him starting games this season. And thriving.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:30 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:11 pm https://x.com/ericgalko/status/16936205 ... Y7TpDzV9jg
By his coaches and others around him, he’s already been compared to guys like Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins and Tom Brady.

Aidan is going to be a hell of an NFL QB. #Raiders fans can start getting excited.

I’d bet on him starting games this season. And thriving.
I'm not excited. BTW, that was an under throw in the highlight. Should have been 6 with a clean pocket like that. Love the commentary. "This time he doesn't miss him". LOL. Because he missed him open the time before. The next time, he under throws it.

He made some nice throws this week. No doubt. He's got next to no mobility, and I just don't see him competing with Mahomes and Herbert for the next 5 years.

I know it's tongue and cheek, but honestly, Aidan is making himself some money as a backup QB, right now, IMO. Nothing more. Maybe he starts some of the year next year, but I don't see him as the Raiders long term starter.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:34 pm

I have Shakir and Hunt on my bench. Worth dropping for O’Connell?not likely starting any of them
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm

j4pac wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:34 pm I have Shakir and Hunt on my bench. Worth dropping for O’Connell?not likely starting any of them
Surprised he's not rostered in a SF. Easily would drop Hunt for him.

If 1QB, I probably still would, but would depend on a bit more

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:04 pm

E-L-I-T-E

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:24 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:04 pm E-L-I-T-E
AOC, 20
Mahomes, 14

Seriously tough, I think it's obvious AOC is going to be the Raiders' starting QB on opening day 2024. He's a good fit for what Pierce does as a head coach. Even Mark Davis can't screw this up. Book it!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Menace2010 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:33 pm

I mean, just proved he's better than Mahomes, what more could we ask?

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:24 pm
Raiders D 14
AOC, 6

Seriously tough, I think it's obvious AOC is going to be the Raiders' starting QB on opening day 2024. He's a good fit for what Pierce does as a head coach. Even Mark Davis can't screw this up. Book it!
FTFY

By Gawd I hope you’re right. I can’t stand the Raiders.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:06 pm

AOC, 20
Mahomes, 14

No. Pierce seems too smart for that. There's nothing serious about thinking the Raiders won't try and upgrade the position. I'm sure what Pierce "wants to do" involves moving the ball on offense. Not depending on multiple TD's from the D.

You're suffering from some serious ownership bias, delusions, due to Team in Sig 2, there.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:23 am

AOC, 20
Mahomes, 14

Completed passes after the 1st quarter against the Chiefs, 0. I can't see how anything is obvious about his future. He has yet to throw for more than 250 yards in a start.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:23 am
AOC, 20
Mahomes, 14

Completed passes after the 1st quarter against the Chiefs, 0. I can't see how anything is obvious about his future. He has yet to throw for more than 250 yards in a start.
It’s schtick.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:00 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 am
murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:23 am

AOC, 20
Mahomes, 14

It’s schtick.
gotcha
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:04 am

I seriously believe AOC will be the week 1 starter in 2024. I agree with Murphy that his future (beyond that) is not obvious. But, if AOC leads LV to another win or two, or OMG the playoffs, I think the coaching staff will feel there's enough there to give him a shot after a full offseason in charge.

Part of the reason is there just isn't any (to use that word again) obviously better option. Vegas is going to play itself out of drafting a rookie with a good chance at being the guy. And I don't foresee any free agent being an obvious buy or fit for the team.

Whether or not AOC plays so amazingly the team has no chance but to start him next year, I think the team will end up in the position of starting AOC next year.

Anyone can say off the cuff that AOC isn't as good as they want a starting QB to be. My question is, what's the truly obviously better alternative?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:05 am

Let's be clear. AOC didn't lead them to a win yesterday. They won IN SPITE of AOC's performance. He was downright awful, and it took an elite performance by their defense, to sneak out the win, along with a few well timed, well blocked run plays.

Pierce isn't even guaranteed to come back next year, but if they play well the next few games, I hope he does. I can't see how they don't try and upgrade the QB position, but to say "it's obvious" that AOC is the 2024 week 1 starter right now, is absurd. It's week 16 of the 2023 season, he's a 4th round rookie with next to no mobility, who, (outside an admittedly really good performance vs a floundering Chargers franchise), has been downright bad.

There are plenty of better alternatives in this draft outside the first half of round 1. They could draft another QB that's a better prospect than AOC, and sign a vet to start early, even. Baker is likely wanting to go to TB, but he's an option, if they want to go a higher end FA. They could sign Minshew, as the Colts did this year, and have a better QB room right there.

Unless AOC balls out these next 2 games, there's really not a great deal of good tape on his resume. The Chargers game is the only good game he's played, the rest, all a different variety of suck.
Janiel Dones Truther

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:13 am

They absolutely have the chance to draft a QB with their first or 2nd round selection. They won't get the top three without trading up, but they could land Penix, McCarthy, or Nix. Honestly, I could see any of them taking over for AOC rather quickly.