Re: Jordan Love: Superflex talk

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 pm

big win. looked great.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:04 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 pm big win. looked great.
Yep. Tonight was a big test, for me to see where he was at, vs Spags, a multi SB winning DC, and the defending champs, in prime time.

I actually want to go back to the idea some claimed around here, that he didn't believe in himself, when signing his deal. IMO, and I still maintain, that he did. He wanted 2 years. This year and next, to be under contract. He wanted some guaranteed money up front. He's likely to hit a few escalators, and in reality, if he keeps playing well over the last month and a bit, and especially, if they make the playoffs, I highly doubt he walks into next season without some type of extension.

He's clearly a starting caliber NFL QB, and could be an upper echelon one, IF, he stays consistent, and continues to develop. When you look around the league, with Ridder, Howell, Mac, Daniel Jones, The Jets mess, the Raiders, etc etc. and some older guys on the way out, I think Jordan Love is, on the verge of locking up a deal beyond the 2024 season.

AND one more thing. Can we just all come together and acknowledge this. Thank you Jordan, thank you Packers. May it be the first of many.

https://www.nfl.com/news/taylor-swift-a ... with-megas
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:19 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:04 pm I actually want to go back to the idea some claimed around here, that he didn't believe in himself, when signing his deal. IMO, and I still maintain, that he did. He wanted 2 years. This year and next, to be under contract. He wanted some guaranteed money up front. He's likely to hit a few escalators, and in reality, if he keeps playing well over the last month and a bit, and especially, if they make the playoffs, I highly doubt he walks into next season without some type of extension.
OK.

But now imagine if he was playing this way, to this level -- and this was his final year -- and the Packers options were either to franchise tag him, or give him a contract.

His leverage would have been -wild-.

Daniel Jones got 40 million a year for doing less. Just saying.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 am

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:19 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:04 pm I actually want to go back to the idea some claimed around here, that he didn't believe in himself, when signing his deal. IMO, and I still maintain, that he did. He wanted 2 years. This year and next, to be under contract. He wanted some guaranteed money up front. He's likely to hit a few escalators, and in reality, if he keeps playing well over the last month and a bit, and especially, if they make the playoffs, I highly doubt he walks into next season without some type of extension.
OK.

But now imagine if he was playing this way, to this level -- and this was his final year -- and the Packers options were either to franchise tag him, or give him a contract.

Yeah, true. I think it will work out for him, regardless. It will be interesting, but I'm just enjoying the ride, right now. The NFL appears to have another good young QB, and that's a good thing. I'm sure he'll get his money, one way or another. He might even use your reference as a reason why he needs an extension this coming off season.

He jus put DJ's numbers on the table, and says "so, I was thinking...." :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 am
mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:19 am
OK.

Yeah, true. I think it will work out for him, regardless. It will be interesting, but I'm just enjoying the ride, right now. The NFL appears to have another good young QB, and that's a good thing. I'm sure he'll get his money, one way or another. He might even use your reference as a reason why he needs an extension this coming off season.

He jus put DJ's numbers on the table, and says "so, I was thinking...." :lol:
Love is the last of a dying model of drafting a QB, holding a clipboard for 3 years or so learning and coming in a starting after that. Nowadays you need to draft a QB and expect immediate results. He looks mature and poised now.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:12 am

TheTroll wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:42 amLove is the last of a dying model of drafting a QB, holding a clipboard for 3 years or so learning and coming in a starting after that. Nowadays you need to draft a QB and expect immediate results. He looks mature and poised now.
I wouldn't say last. Rare maybe, but not last.

I could see Hooker being a 2 or 3 year ramp up guy. He's already sitting this season to get healthy. Then he could sit next year and learn again behind Goff. If Detroit thinks Hooker is that guy, they could trade Goff to a QB needy team and insert Hooker on his rookie contract into a team ready to continue rolling AND sign a big money FA or two.

I think SF ruined any chance Lance had at being good by rushing him onto the field. Same with Fields. Yeah, guys need reps, but some guys really need to sit and watch for a year before getting out there. Some guys really just don't understand how to be a real NFL QB right away. The GB method is perfect for a team like GB who rarely gets a top5 pick. Take a slightly undercooked college QB in the 20+ section of the 1st round, season him in your film room and practice fields for a couple of years, then let him learn the rest in real games ... when he's ready.

But yeah, I agree this is going to be an extremely rare path going foward. NFL teams seem convinced they have to start every 1st round rookie immediately.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:33 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:12 am
TheTroll wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:42 amLove is the last of a dying model of drafting a QB, holding a clipboard for 3 years or so learning and coming in a starting after that. Nowadays you need to draft a QB and expect immediate results. He looks mature and poised now.

I could see Hooker being a 2 or 3 year ramp up guy. He's already sitting this season to get healthy. Then he could sit next year and learn again behind Goff. If Detroit thinks Hooker is that guy, they could trade Goff to a QB needy team and insert Hooker on his rookie contract into a team ready to continue rolling AND sign a big money FA or two.

I think SF ruined any chance Lance had at being good by rushing him onto the field. Same with Fields. Yeah, guys need reps, but some guys really need to sit and watch for a year before getting out there. Some guys really just don't understand how to be a real NFL QB right away. The GB method is perfect for a team like GB who rarely gets a top5 pick. Take a slightly undercooked college QB in the 20+ section of the 1st round, season him in your film room and practice fields for a couple of years, then let him learn the rest in real games ... when he's ready.

But yeah, I agree this is going to be an extremely rare path going foward. NFL teams seem convinced they have to start every 1st round rookie immediately.
There’s a big difference sitting a 3rd round pick a few years vs sitting a 1st round pick. If you want to name Hooker, you could name pretty much any QB picked later in the draft as examples of guys that sit.

I’d be surprised if we see a 1st round pick like Love sit for an extended period of time again anytime soon.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:45 am

What's interesting is that after the Packers took a ton of heat for trading up for Love in the late 1st, "unnamed packer sources" were flabbergasted with the contrasting media recepetion the 49ers received when they decided to take Lance #3 overall; Going as far as to say, 'They're the same guy'.

A bit off topic, but DAL has a nose for diamond in the rough QBs; Their last two Franchise QBs have been UDFA Tony Romo and 4th round pick Dak Prescott.

Now Lance gets to sit behind an All-pro QB and learn for a few seasons. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lance be fantasy relevant at some point in the next few years.
Last edited by Sriracha on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:50 am

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:33 am

There’s a big difference sitting a 3rd round pick a few years vs sitting a 1st round pick. If you want to name Hooker, you could name pretty much any QB picked later in the draft as examples of guys that sit.

I’d be surprised if we see a 1st round pick like Love sit for an extended period of time again anytime soon.
Depends on the franchise. GB’s business model is pretty clear: Draft a QB that they consider has solid 1st round talent when they drop too far and as their franchise guy is nearing the end of their career, and allow the young guy learn for 2-3 years without being thrown to the wolves.

I remember some of the howling when GB selected Rodgers - whom many named a flawed system QB - with Favre having 5 years left in his career. It has been the same with Love - there were various posters on another MB stating he was the worst QB in the league not 4 weeks ago. Yet here we are and he just engineered a W on what is a rebuilding year against one of the best teams in the league and they’re in the hunt for a playoff berth.

I can see other franchises seeing this success and copying it now that we are seeing that it may not just be a fluke of lucking into 2 stud QBs back to back. It takes some moxy in this win-now mentality league to use a 1st rounder like that and it takes a certain set of circumstances to pull it off. There’s also always going to be significant blow back and tons of second guessing when the franchise is ready to change QBs. But if it works, look at the ROI compared to teams sunken in burning high 1st rounders either in actual picks and/or trades repeatedly trying to find that franchise guy who they can throw in immediately and hope they’ll survive the trial by fire.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:20 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:50 am
Depends on the franchise. GB’s business model is pretty clear: Draft a QB that they consider has solid 1st round talent when they drop too far and as their franchise guy is nearing the end of their career, and allow the young guy learn for 2-3 years without being thrown to the wolves.

I remember some of the howling when GB selected Rodgers - whom many named a flawed system QB - with Favre having 5 years left in his career. It has been the same with Love - there were various posters on another MB stating he was the worst QB in the league not 4 weeks ago. Yet here we are and he just engineered a W on what is a rebuilding year against one of the best teams in the league and they’re in the hunt for a playoff berth.

I can see other franchises seeing this success and copying it now that we are seeing that it may not just be a fluke of lucking into 2 stud QBs back to back. It takes some moxy in this win-now mentality league to use a 1st rounder like that and it takes a certain set of circumstances to pull it off. There’s also always going to be significant blow back and tons of second guessing when the franchise is ready to change QBs. But if it works, look at the ROI compared to teams sunken in burning high 1st rounders either in actual picks and/or trades repeatedly trying to find that franchise guy who they can throw in immediately and hope they’ll survive the trial by fire.
There was a lot of revisionist history this off-season going on with Rodgers. People romanticizing that everyone knew he was going to be a hit before he stepped onto the field or that they knew he was the Franchise QB a few games into his 1st year as a starter.

Nevermind the fact the Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round that off-season, that they went 6-10 that year, that the media 'bust' talks were rampant during their losing streak or the fact that he signed a very team friendly 6 year, 63 million dollar contract with only 20 million guaranteed.

:lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:45 am What's interesting is that after the Packers took a ton of heat for trading up for Love in the late 1st, "unnamed packer sources" were flabbergasted with the contrasting media recepetion the 49ers received when they decided to take Lance #3 overall; Going as far as to say, 'They're the same guy'.
I think we can all agree that the reason the Packers were taking heat was because they already had an MVP-calibre QB that most assumed they would be building around for the final shots at the title in his prime.

Instead, they activated the succession plan - and disenfranchised Rodgers in the process, knowing that the Packers were never going to go "all in" for him.

It's one thing to draft a Jimmy G replacement. It's another to draft a replacement for A-Rod with him still in the sundown years of his prime.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:45 am What's interesting is that after the Packers took a ton of heat for trading up for Love in the late 1st, "unnamed packer sources" were flabbergasted with the contrasting media recepetion the 49ers received when they decided to take Lance #3 overall; Going as far as to say, 'They're the same guy'.
I think we can all agree that the reason the Packers were taking heat was because they already had an MVP-calibre QB that most assumed they would be building around for the final shots at the title in his prime.

Instead, they activated the succession plan - and disenfranchised Rodgers in the process, knowing that the Packers were never going to go "all in" for him.

It's one thing to draft a Jimmy G replacement. It's another to draft a replacement for A-Rod with him still in the sundown years of his prime.
I believe their point is that they viewed Jordan Love as a top 10 QB talent that fell to the late 1st.

HoF QB or not that's a lot of value to pass up.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:14 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm
mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm

I believe their point is that they viewed Jordan Love as a top 10 QB talent that fell to the late 1st.

HoF QB or not that's a lot of value to pass up.
Yeah, they traded up. I don't think they planned it. They thought he'd be long gone, and when he was still there in the late first, they likely saw a player on their board that even with the trade up capital, was a screaming value, at the most important position in the game.

Not the same situation, but Wentz had a massive contract at the time. Imagine the Eagles had not taken Hurts, because they already had Wentz. Where would that franchise be now?
Janiel Dones Truther

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:18 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pmInstead, they activated the succession plan - and disenfranchised Rodgers in the process, knowing that the Packers were never going to go "all in" for him.

I don't think they disenfrachised ARod. I think ARod is a primadonna diva jerk who has a broken emotional personality and used that draft pick as a neverending point of whining.

There's a difference. :ugeek:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsZ3pVyCoc

Fresh off the press. JT got to work already.
Janiel Dones Truther