The Official Brock Purdy Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: The Official Brock Purdy Thread

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:40 am

A player doesn’t have to be a great athlete to be a great QB. Number one case in point is Brady. There are plenty more examples. I don’t understand why we’re conflating the two, but it’s sure a mistake that some continue to make despite the overt evidence.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:13 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:40 am A player doesn’t have to be a great athlete to be a great QB. Number one case in point is Brady. There are plenty more examples. I don’t understand why we’re conflating the two, but it’s sure a mistake that some continue to make despite the overt evidence.
I wasn't conflating athleticism in my post, more arm strength type physical abilities
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:19 am

murphysxm wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:13 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:40 am A player doesn’t have to be a great athlete to be a great QB. Number one case in point is Brady. There are plenty more examples. I don’t understand why we’re conflating the two, but it’s sure a mistake that some continue to make despite the overt evidence.
I wasn't conflating athleticism in my post, more arm strength type physical abilities
Well, I’ll take a guy who can read Ds, look off Ss, go through progressions, can get the ball out quickly and throws guys open over a guy who can throw the ball out of the stadium but lacks a bit or more in the former traits. Every day and twice on Sundays.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:06 am

Per Next Gen stats the Giants blitzed him 33 out of 39 drop backs. He responded with his shortest time to throw so far.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 am

Lumps wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:06 am Per Next Gen stats the Giants blitzed him 33 out of 39 drop backs. He responded with his shortest time to throw so far.
Yep. He knew the blitz was coming, found the open man, and got the ball out while only taking 2 sacks and throwing 0 interceptions. Pretty good stuff.

Edit: Though it seems silly to add at this point, Lynch and Shanahan getting new deals with the 49er's. Looks like Brock is locked-in for the foreseeable future. Congrats to all who bought on the cheap (or for free off the wire).
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 am
Lumps wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:06 am Per Next Gen stats the Giants blitzed him 33 out of 39 drop backs. He responded with his shortest time to throw so far.
Yep. He knew the blitz was coming, found the open man, and got the ball out while only taking 2 sacks and throwing 0 interceptions. Pretty good stuff.

Edit: Though it seems silly to add at this point, Lynch and Shanahan getting new deals with the 49er's. Looks like Brock is locked-in for the foreseeable future. Congrats to all who bought on the cheap (or for free off the wire).
Got him as 6.10 and 7.07 in two startups this year… when I add CWilliams next year in both of those (productive struggle baby!) it’ll be a great 1-2 punch for those SF teams.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:20 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:19 am
Well, I’ll take a guy who can read Ds, look off Ss, go through progressions, can get the ball out quickly and throws guys open over a guy who can throw the ball out of the stadium but lacks a bit or more in the former traits. Every day and twice on Sundays.
Me too, but I also recognize his deep ball (not talking 50+, but even just 20-30 yarders) could use some work. He's been having very good games, but still leaving a good chunk of yardage/long TD out there. Not saying he's bad without those, just pointing out his biggest flaw. Maybe as he rehabs from this surgery, his deep ball will get better

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:01 pm

Lance was going way ahead of him in SF startups over the summer. That one I never got.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Shcritters wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 am

Got him as 6.10 and 7.07 in two startups this year… when I add CWilliams next year in both of those (productive struggle baby!) it’ll be a great 1-2 punch for those SF teams.
Last season I was trying to buy Jimmy G due to injuries. Couldn’t get it done. Looked at the depth chart (knowing Jimmy’s injury) and remembering Purdy was a hot thing his freshman year, I added Purdy via waivers. Lucky.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:33 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:20 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:19 am

Me too, but I also recognize his deep ball (not talking 50+, but even just 20-30 yarders) could use some work. He's been having very good games, but still leaving a good chunk of yardage/long TD out there. Not saying he's bad without those, just pointing out his biggest flaw. Maybe as he rehabs from this surgery, his deep ball will get better
Also, I think sometimes people think:

arm strength = deep ball accuracy

And that's not the case. Purdy can make the throws all the throws at each level.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:07 am

dipANDglide wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:16 pm I'm kicking myself for not buying him this offseason. He's easy to root for and is executing at a high level.
He was so cheap! I got him in every league but one. I traded away Daniel Jones/3 to get Brock and a 2nd in one league, and everyone crushed me on the league chat. Guess who wants to trade back. :boohoo:
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:45 am

I posted this in another Purdy thread that didn’t get much traction. Wondering what anyone may think:

tl;Dr - I’m looking at him as a sell high.

You should explore options asap. NYG had him shook in 1st half, but Shannahan made adjustments and he did what he does in that system in the 2nd half. It’s like 70% YAK, tho, and he can really struggle and spray the ball. Worried about a full year of tape on this guy, and what happens when the YAK-beasts he’s got around him move on, age out, get hurt.

2nd team in sig below. I got Purdy as my QB3 in a recent start-up. I desperately need RB help. Thinking about trying to move him for Etienne and Picket as my new QB3 (I know). Other guys needs some WR help so gonna start with adding E Moore and maybe Hodgins or Pierce to the deal
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Caleb Williams - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - J Wright - Estime
WR: AJB - Pittman - Odunze - Shaheed - J Burton - R Pearsall - Doubs - E Moore
TE: MAndrews - Bowers - Bellinger - Kraft
‘25: one 1st, two 2nds, three 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - J Burton - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:11 am

yinzername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:45 am YAK-beasts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:29 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:11 am
yinzername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:45 am YAK-beasts

+5 for the somersault in our league

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:41 am

yinzername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:45 am I posted this in another Purdy thread that didn’t get much traction. Wondering what anyone may think:

tl;Dr - I’m looking at him as a sell high.
If Brock was a 1st round pick with the 8-0 start (plus two playoff wins, plus the Dolphins win, so really he's 11-0), 20 TDs, 4 INTs etc, would anybody be shocked? Or be questioning his ability? If this was Trey Lance, everybody would be anointing him the next big thing. But because it's a 7th rounder, everyone is doubting it'll last, and questioning when the free fall will happen.

Purdy is legit. Forget the analysts, listen to the players that play the game. Former QBs who are amazed, current DBs who can't read him, his own teammates who last year when they were in training camp who said "Who is the third QB? who is that guy? He looks legit"

The Giants sent 33 blitzes on 39 drop backs, which is a rate of 84.6%, which is the highest blitz rate in any game ever in NFL history, or at least as far back as the data goes since blitzes weren't an official statistic before the 80s or 90s sometime.

Brock was 20 of 31, 250+ yards and 2 TDs, for a 158 rating. He performed nearly perfect under pressure, as he has for the duration of his short NFL career thus far. The YAC is the result of the defense having fewer defenders in the second level of play.

You're not selling high. This is who he is. He's done the same exact thing for 11 straight games.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134