Training Camp HYPE 2023 (only football)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Training Camp HYPE 2023 (only football)

Postby CGW » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:54 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:34 am
MFundercover wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am Between the camp struggles, the elbow injury, teams getting more film on him, his overall talent level being a 7th round pick, I wouldn't be over the moon on Purdy. At this rate I still wouldn't be surprised if he were benched or otherwise knocked out some point during the season.

Whether it's Tracy Lance or Samantha Darnold taking over, who knows.
I know the Purdy v. Lance issue has been beaten to death five times over, but I still find it hard to believe that the 49ers are willing to give up on Lance so quickly (i.e. given his limited play time due to injuries). I've come to the conclusion that either 1) Lance doesn't have the work ethic to improve or 2) Shanahan never wanted to draft him so he's deliberately tanking him.

Take a look at how the Colts seemingly have gone all-in on Richardson; it's mind boggling that the 49ers wouldn't want to give Lance more of an opportunity unless there is some outside factor.
I agree, it's been a catastrophically bad decision. Have to imagine most coaches\GMs in the NFL would struggle to survive giving up the capital they did for a bust with absolutely zero return. Even the Cardinals were able to salvage some good capital on Josh Rosen. I dunno, you could be right...maybe Shanahan truly didn't want him from the start.

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:57 am

Some Darnell Washington love from Gronk himself:
"Darnell Washington, I think he’s going to have a great year,” Gronkowski said. “I would say he’s going to put up around 600 or 700 yards and help the offense gain some first downs, a couple touchdowns in the red zone. He’s 6-foot-7, like 265 pounds and he looks like a freak out there.”
https://steelersnow.com/gronk-makes-ins ... ashington/

And a nifty display of sticky hands...
https://twitter.com/FCProspects_/status ... 06532?s=20
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:57 am

MFundercover wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:15 am Brock Purdy camp struggles continue
+1

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:58 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:34 amhard to believe that the 49ers are willing to give up on Lance so quickly (i.e. given his limited play time due to injuries). I've come to the conclusion that either 1) Lance doesn't have the work ethic to improve or 2) Shanahan never wanted to draft him so he's deliberately tanking him.

Take a look at how the Colts seemingly have gone all-in on Richardson; it's mind boggling that the 49ers wouldn't want to give Lance more of an opportunity unless there is some outside factor.
One huge difference is SF is in the middle of a window to compete for a championship. Lance isn't ready to lead a championship caliber team. Richardson isn't ready to lead a championship caliber team.

The good news for Richardson is he plays for a team that isn't ready to make the playoffs, and is far away from contending for a championship. So the Colts can start him now, rack up the losses while he racks up experience playing. Then hopefully, when the team has improved enough to contend, Richardson might also have improved enough to be a leader capable of leading a championship caliber team.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:04 am

MucBuc wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:57 am Some Darnell Washington love from Gronk himself:
"Darnell Washington, I think he’s going to have a great year,” Gronkowski said. “I would say he’s going to put up around 600 or 700 yards and help the offense gain some first downs, a couple touchdowns in the red zone. He’s 6-foot-7, like 265 pounds and he looks like a freak out there.”

Beautiful catch but I don’t know. Those moves barely even tricked the flag in front of him and he jumped a total of maybe 1/2 an inch off the ground. He’s a massive dude so he should do well with jump balls and contested catches but he isn’t getting separation from anyone. He’ll be wearing the average linebacker like a sweater. I think he’s much more likely to just hurt Muth’s productivity than he is to carving out a big role himself.
Team:14 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR Unlimited Keepers 2IR
Starting Reqs: 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1WRT 1K 1Def
QB - Mahomes, Caleb Williams
RB - Bijan, Najee, Mostert, Chase Brown, Jaylen Wright, T. Tracy
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, Odunze, JSN, Jameson Williams, Downs, QJ, Pearsall
TE - Andrews, Kelce, Bowers
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2025 1st, 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd
2027 1st, 2nd, 3rd

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:05 am

MFundercover wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am Between the camp struggles, the elbow injury, teams getting more film on him, his overall talent level being a 7th round pick, I wouldn't be over the moon on Purdy. At this rate I still wouldn't be surprised if he were benched or otherwise knocked out some point during the season.

I would have to agree with most of this. Mark me in the Purdy non-believer group. He had a good run last year for a 7th rounder, but also got pretty lucky with dropped picks and weak opponents most of the way. He had success, so that can't be denied, but I still don't see it carrying through this year and him establizhing himself as a franchise QB.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:06 am

Gazzerk wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:04 am
MucBuc wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:57 am Some Darnell Washington love from Gronk himself:

Beautiful catch but I don’t know. Those moves barely even tricked the flag in front of him and he jumped a total of maybe 1/2 an inch off the ground. He’s a massive dude so he should do well with jump balls and contested catches but he isn’t getting separation from anyone. He’ll be wearing the average linebacker like a sweater. I think he’s much more likely to just hurt Muth’s productivity than he is to carving out a big role himself.
Yeah, he should absolutely be able to do that. LOL. Not full speed, nobody covering him, massive hands. He's an NFL TE, he's should be able to do that, without a doubt.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:11 am

This is my biggest worry as a Muth owner. I fear Pitt will use Washington as the inside the 10 target and steal a lot of short TD's.

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:06 am

Yeah, he should absolutely be able to do that. LOL. Not full speed, nobody covering him, massive hands. He's an NFL TE, he's should be able to do that, without a doubt.
Exactly. He literally has the 2nd largest hands of any TE on combine history and he’s wearing receiving gloves. He should be able to catch 2 balls thrown at once in the same hand.
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, Odunze, JSN, Jameson Williams, Downs, QJ, Pearsall
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2025 1st, 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd
2027 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:14 am

mgscott wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:11 am

This is my biggest worry as a Muth owner. I fear Pitt will use Washington as the inside the 10 target and steal a lot of short TD's.
Yeah that’s what I mean. Muth is a legit receiving TE. He’ll get his between the 10s but I also think they will feature Washington in the redzone big time. Which they should. This is one of those times where what’s goo for real football is bad for fantasy football. It will probably lead to both having pretty middling point production. I still think Muth is good enough to separate himself and be a legit top TE option but it will be a bit harder now.
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2025 1st, 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd
2027 1st, 2nd, 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:19 am

Packers throwing to Musgrave a lot to get him ready for the season, apparently. I guess because he's a rookie they want to get him as many reps as possible. This makes me glad and sad. The target distribution isn't an indication of what it will be in season, but more a way to get him prepared because rookie TE's don't start often, and he has limited experience. Still, glad to see he's basically cemented to TE1 spot for now.

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/stat ... 9185572347

How do you defend this back shoulder throw? Pickens makes this look routine, but also nice ball placement by Pickett, knowing what Pickens is capable of. There's no way for the DB to get there. Throws it really early. Great stuff.

https://twitter.com/Luciow1992/status/1 ... 5060613589
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:49 am

I know the Purdy v. Lance issue has been beaten to death five times over, but I still find it hard to believe that the 49ers are willing to give up on Lance so quickly (i.e. given his limited play time due to injuries). I've come to the conclusion that either 1) Lance doesn't have the work ethic to improve or 2) Shanahan never wanted to draft him so he's deliberately tanking him.

Which franchise has been more successful lately? Some teams understand the concept of sunk costs and don’t let clinging relentlessly to bad decisions drag them down too far. They put the best talent on the field, not the players that gratify their egos.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:53 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:49 am

Which franchise has been more successful lately? Some teams understand the concept of sunk costs and don’t let clinging relentlessly to bad decisions drag them down too far. They put the best talent on the field, not the players that gratify their egos.
The 49ers have a competitive roster, the Colts don't, too. The Colts have the luxury of being more patient. Look at the Jets, a year and a half of Wilson and they were out. They had a team that was competitive, and needed a QB that would help them now, not MAYBE in a few years. Lance was drafted to the wrong team, really. They made a mistake in a COVID year, and there were rumours early on that he wasn't what they thought they were getting (athletically and otherwise), once he got into the building, type thing. The injury last year was catastrophic to his career arc, as well.
Janiel Dones Truther

Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Menace2010 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:55 am

Only 7 TEs had more than 700 yards last season and only 9 had more than 600. Appreciate the Gronk hyperbole, but I'd gamble a pretty penny on this not happening. If I owned him anywhere, I don't, I'd he ecstatic with 350+ yards and a handful of TDs in year one.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:53 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:49 am

The 49ers have a competitive roster, the Colts don't, too. The Colts have the luxury of being more patient. Look at the Jets, a year and a half of Wilson and they were out. They had a team that was competitive, and needed a QB that would help them now, not MAYBE in a few years. Lance was drafted to the wrong team, really. They made a mistake in a COVID year, and there were rumours early on that he wasn't what they thought they were getting (athletically and otherwise), once he got into the building, type thing. The injury last year was catastrophic to his career arc, as well.
If IND stands by Richardson for the entirety of his rookie contract they could very well set their franchise back for the next decade or more as well as waste careers of guys like Taylor. SF simply finds the solution and moves forward without wasting seasons trying to justify their mistake. I like the latter’s business model a lot better than the former’s.