Hall of Fame

PSA: Player Comps

Postby dynastyninja » Fri May 05, 2023 8:14 am

Just a reminder, if someone is comped to any of the following:
Antonio Brown
Josh Allen
Alvin Kamara
Austin Ekeler

The chances of them coming even close to any of those guys is probably <5%. Comps are really misleading oftentimes and make us think lesser quality prospects are better than they actually are.

If we squint...
That smaller shifty receiver does kind of look like Antonio Brown
That raw QB with a cannon could turn into Josh Allen with enough development
That pass-catching RB might be the next Kamara
That undersized RB with athleticism might beat the odds and be a 3-down back like Ekeler

I'm sure I'm missing people, but those are the really common comps of the past few years. I'm guilty of it too.

Evaluate players based on talent. We like our shortcuts, which is why comps are popular, but I don't think anyone who's ever been comped to the above guys has come close to them in any way. Comps are fun but borderline useless in player evaluation, it never means anything once they're in the NFL.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: PSA: Player Comps

Postby Lumps » Fri May 05, 2023 8:38 am

Welker
Edelman (though I stand by my JSN comp to Edelman)
Gronk (kind of sounds like you might be leery of anyone that played with Brady...)

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri May 05, 2023 8:39 am

Could not agree more. And I see a lot of the comps based solely upon measureables, which is even more meaningless.

That said, when I’m watching film there are times when I’m eerily reminded of something I’ve seen before, so much so that I have to go watch the previous player again for comparison sake.

I watched Javonte Williams at NC and had to go back and watch Hunt at Toledo because they looked so similar. This year it was Charbonnet at UCLA reminding me of Forte at Tulane and Kraft at SDSU with Kittle at Iowa. DD came up with a great comp for Bijan at Texas with Marshawn Lynch at Cal.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 05, 2023 8:47 am

At some point the Dynasty Community should get on the same page.

There is absolutely ZERO wrong with comping players to players that went on to be great but it is foolish to honestly believe anyone that knows anything is comping a player’s production today vs an incoming rookie. I do agree on traits that really remind us other players.

Comping a Gibbs today vs an Ekeler when he came into the league is actually relevant when one considers metrics such as size, speed, burst, and most importantly college tape.

Anyone who believes people are comping actual production vs a HOF quality player is doing it all wrong and one would think would know better. Production Profile traits are what I think most of us are looking for in players and then we hope they are all that in the NFL.
Last edited by Ice on Fri May 05, 2023 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 am

DeSean Jackson was the one that used to drive me crazy. Anyone with 4.4 speed and was under 6'0" was labeled with that comp

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 05, 2023 8:57 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 am DeSean Jackson was the one that used to drive me crazy. Anyone with 4.4 speed and was under 6'0" was labeled with that comp
That was true. :lol:

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:23 am

PSA : Poster Comps

Not everyone can be a Hemmingway or Tolstoy or the next Grantland Rice.

Bronco Billy while not quite as OMNIPRESENT as Mel Kiper in drafting circles has similar traits. Nobody puts out more opinions but ii is really about the way he presents himself. The Total Packaging ... ability to withstand the barbs from the masses . Both are known for their hair based imaging... One for their hair care products, the other for his hair brain based HOT TAKES 🔥

Wickerkat1212 is our very own Stephen King like contributor who speaks volumes & specializing in horror stories. Prolific in his opinions & prodigious in his body of work(s) both authors will give you nightmares. King for sheerly scaring the crap out of you , the wicker man for his horrifying devotion to the sad, sad Bad News Bears franchise. Takes a twisted mind to come up with the fictional characters that both writers created ... Carrie , Cujo , Justin Fields as a legit passing QB in the NFL . One is known for authoring" IT" , the other for always writing "THIS"

ICE is the STEPHEN A. of the DLF (and we all know what the "A" stands for 😉) Constantly controversial and adversarial. Bombastic but very knowledgeable and does his homework. Not for everybody but everybody reacts to what they say. Debatable whether the tactics override the message but like a Big Mouth Bass easily falls for Da' Bait ! Like A-a-ron Rodgers ... He's a BAD, BAD MAN !!!

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri May 05, 2023 10:41 am

cazzie33 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:23 am PSA : Poster Comps

Bronco Billy while not quite as OMNIPRESENT as Mel Kiper in drafting circles has similar traits. Nobody puts out more opinions but ii is really about the way he presents himself. The Total Packaging ... ability to withstand the barbs from the masses . Both are known for their hair based imaging... One for their hair care products, the other for his hair brain based HOT TAKES 🔥

Wickerkat1212 is our very own Stephen King like contributor who speaks volumes & specializing in horror stories. Prolific in his opinions & prodigious in his body of work(s) both authors will give you nightmares. King for sheerly scaring the crap out of you , the wicker man for his horrifying devotion to the sad, sad Bad News Bears franchise. Takes a twisted mind to come up with the fictional characters that both writers created ... Carrie , Cujo , Justin Fields as a legit passing QB in the NFL . One is known for authoring" IT" , the other for always writing "THIS"

ICE is the STEPHEN A. of the DLF (and we all know what the "A" stands for 😉) Constantly controversial and adversarial. Bombastic but very knowledgeable and does his homework. Not for everybody but everybody reacts to what they say. Debatable whether the tactics override the message but like a Big Mouth Bass easily falls for Da' Bait ! Like A-a-ron Rodgers ... He's a BAD, BAD MAN !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't even care about the content here and how accurate it is or isn't. Just the 1) thought 2) amount of effort.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 am

:clap:

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri May 05, 2023 12:34 pm

Lumps wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:41 am

I don't even care about the content here and how accurate it is or isn't. Just the 1) thought 2) amount of effort.

Same here. Love it!!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri May 05, 2023 1:29 pm

:lol:

:clap:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 05, 2023 2:12 pm

😀

Hey now, I am a Legend in my own mind and besides, the doctors told all of you to humor me so be nice!

👍

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:27 pm

LOL thanks. I'm up for the Bram Stoker Award (he wrote Dracula). Fingers crossed! There is even some interest from Hollywood.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Jefferson, Tucker TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat May 06, 2023 7:45 am

The issue is there's some variation how we define or perceive the term player comp.

It's kind of gray - there's both play style and player quality in play. Some people actually specify "only in playstyle" when they make their comp, which is important nuance that not everyone gets or even cares about.

Most people quite naturally assume a player comp means, like you said originally, they can eventually be very much that specific player they're comped to - in every way.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -