D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:31 am #freeswift

No seriously, why aren’t they trading him?
They could, but why would they? From a real football standpoint, Montgomery/Swift is one of the best tandems in the league on paper. Detroit's offense is loaded.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:08 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 am

They could, but why would they? From a real football standpoint, Montgomery/Swift is one of the best tandems in the league on paper. Detroit's offense is loaded.
Another reason is that Detroit would not get much in return for Swift. NFL teams rarely spend first round picks on rookies, so a 1st is out of the question. I doubt any team in the league would pay a 2nd. A 3rd might be worth it for Detroit, but I doubt half the teams would trade a 3rd for Swift when guys like Monty are available for no trade compensation.

If we're going to wonder why Detroit won't trade Swift, I think we first need to determine which teams would want Swift and what do we think those specific teams would give up to trade for RB who has started only 16 games in three seasons.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:08 am

Another reason is that Detroit would not get much in return for Swift. NFL teams rarely spend first round picks on rookies, so a 1st is out of the question. I doubt any team in the league would pay a 2nd. A 3rd might be worth it for Detroit, but I doubt half the teams would trade a 3rd for Swift when guys like Monty are available for no trade compensation.

If we're going to wonder why Detroit won't trade Swift, I think we first need to determine which teams would want Swift and what do we think those specific teams would give up to trade for RB who has started only 16 games in three seasons.
I was coming from the standpoint of - they are gonna give other guys carries anyway. For the amount of usage they give him, they could have signed Travis Homer and traded Swift.

However, like Anteaters said, but further... the draft will offer up guys younger (maybe not as talented) in the 4th. So that combined with what they would get ... maybe not worth it for teams. I just want to see him with Payton and on grass. Get him off that turf.

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:44 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 am

I was coming from the standpoint of - they are gonna give other guys carries anyway. For the amount of usage they give him, they could have signed Travis Homer and traded Swift.

However, like Anteaters said, but further... the draft will offer up guys younger (maybe not as talented) in the 4th. So that combined with what they would get ... maybe not worth it for teams. I just want to see him with Payton and on grass. Get him off that turf.
Payton likes guys that aren’t hurt all the time

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:54 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 am

Swift will end up like Penny. Early round (1st) pick, lots of talent, never able to hold onto a starting role whether it was injury or a RB the coaches liked better. Seattle never cut him, they just waited till his rookie contract expired and let him walk. Even as a FA, Penny didn't command much $. Penny got a 1yr deal. It's hard to believe Swift will fair much better when his time comes.

Fans might think a guy has unbelievable talent, but teams pay for production. Swift and Penny have not produced impressive seasons. These type of players eventually just fade away from fantasy relevance.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am

Very glad I didn't give in to the 1.05 1QB demand from the Swift owner in one of my leagues. He offered, I tried to get it done for players instead, he balked, and now, ouch. Of course no grace for me, I already had a million shares, and believe in the player, but at this point, he's a lost cause in Detroit as anything beyond depth. Praying he moves on after this season or gets traded.

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am Very glad I didn't give in to the 1.05 1QB demand from the Swift owner in one of my leagues. He offered, I tried to get it done for players instead, he balked, and now, ouch. Of course no grace for me, I already had a million shares, and believe in the player, but at this point, he's a lost cause in Detroit as anything beyond depth. Praying he moves on after this season or gets traded.
Swift owners are unshakable so I doubt he sees it as an ouch moment and would still expect 1.05. You even noted you have a “million shares” despite him being a perennial, untrustworthy disappointment and you were looking for more.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:54 am

I'd add the other reason is he's only cost controlled for what this season? It would be one thing to get Swift on the cheap with 3 years left on his rookie deal but he already just wrapped his third year. You aren't getting much for one year guaranteed (can't remember if 2nd rounders get rookie options?) so there isn't any reason to trade him unless somebody offers something over ask. Nope, it's gonna be another lost season for us Swift owners unless Monty goes down and even then they'll probably find some jag that can handle 50% of the carries, I just want him out and w/a forward thinking team for '24 so I can sell him then. Good lord, what a disappointment the loaded '20 class has been.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:59 am

natjjohn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am Very glad I didn't give in to the 1.05 1QB demand from the Swift owner in one of my leagues. He offered, I tried to get it done for players instead, he balked, and now, ouch. Of course no grace for me, I already had a million shares, and believe in the player, but at this point, he's a lost cause in Detroit as anything beyond depth. Praying he moves on after this season or gets traded.
Swift owners are unshakable so I doubt he sees it as an ouch moment and would still expect 1.05. You even noted you have a “million shares” despite him being a perennial, untrustworthy disappointment and you were looking for more.
I believe in his talent 100%, I have never believed in his situation, and needless to say, the injury concerns are a reality, I'm not denying any of that, I just disagree w/people who underrate his actual talent, when healthy, or in my view, overrated the ---- out of J. Williams ability which was essentially, to be available on game day.

Still a truther/believer on Swift, but yeah, there's no reason to buy or sell at this point as his value is going to drop to Gibson or worse levels. It's a ghastly situation unless Monty gets hurt and there aint any security in that because Detroit clearly isn't willing to trust him as a bell cow period. They'll use him if he's available but no matter what happens, he aint getting the usage in '23 to be worth much of anything beyond RB5 or so depth on your roster.

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:33 pm

Montgomery got paid more than what Jamaal got elsewhere. Does this equate to a larger role for Montgomery than what even Jamaal got?

Probably not

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:41 am

natjjohn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:33 pm Montgomery got paid more than what Jamaal got elsewhere. Does this equate to a larger role for Montgomery than what even Jamaal got?

Probably not
Does this equate to a larger role for Swift?

Probably not

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:41 am
natjjohn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:33 pm Montgomery got paid more than what Jamaal got elsewhere. Does this equate to a larger role for Montgomery than what even Jamaal got?

Probably not
Does this equate to a larger role for Swift?

Probably not
I’d like to lose a couple pounds. Does this mean I’m gonna give up pizza?

Probably not.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:49 am

Swift would not warrant more than a day 3 pick, and probably a later one at that. He's only got 1 year left on his rookie deal. No team would pay much for him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:57 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:49 am

Swift would not warrant more than a day 3 pick, and probably a later one at that. He's only got 1 year left on his rookie deal. No team would pay much for him.
That's my thinking too.

Penny really is a good fantasy comp for Swift. Both have their truthers in fantasy - guys who see supreme talent held back by injuries and bad coaching decisions. The NFL sees two RBs who were given multiple seasons to deliver consistent production, but were unable to produce consistently. That's why Philly was able to get Penny for two doughnuts and a cup of coffee.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:49 am

Big difference in the comps between Swift & Penny.

When healthy Coach Pete fed Penny the ball ... We will never know what Swift would do in a lead role of 15 touches per gm. We've seen what Penny can do (especially against the Lions) and if not for the knee injury Penny stocks would be way up. Unfortunately previous posts are right. There's no reason for the Lions to trade probably the most talented backup RB in the lg who they have on a cheap contract.Being basically on a one year prove it deal there's no reason for a team to overpay either.

That's why I keep saying Swift or his agent need to be a**holes and demand a trade or force a way out of Detroit. Quite sure a Buff or Cincy team would take a flier. Maybe even KC as a contender wanting to get a more explosive option added to backfield.

Now I don't think it will happen. Also agree with earlier post & have said so myself many times even if Monty(Jamaal before) were to get injured they wouldn't turn the full time job over to Swift. C. Reynolds or whomever they bring back would get a serious chunk of run.

Prepare yourself for a repeat of last year where coaching staff say they have a plan to limit/monitor his touches to keep him healthy. UNLESS their hand is forced by injuries and then if Swift tears it up they will tell you this is what they always expected from #32 & knew he was capable of. :liar: