2022 Running Back Report

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: 2022 Running Back Report

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:36 am Not a thing on Pierre Strong Jr? Very productive rusher, albeit at a lower level, for his entire college career. Can catch out of the backfield and is solid in pass protection. Went to a dedicated run-first team with an admittedly very difficult to decipher coaching mindset. Potential immediate opportunity with the injury to James White but is well rounded in his game. Going to have to work on ball security, but we’ve seen that is fixable at the NFL level.

Look at the comparison to Elijah Mitchell, who claimed the starting RB spot in SF:

Category. Mitchell(percentile) Strong(percentile)

Height 5’-10” 5’-11”
Weight 201lbs 207lbs
40 4.40s(96) 4.37s(99)
Speed Score 107.3(86) 113.5(95)
Burst Score 127.8(88) 126.6(86)
Agility Score 11.14(79) 11.20(75)
RAS 9.44/10.00 9.34/10.00

So Strong compares very favorably to Mitchell. He’s a shade bigger and faster. And if you watch Strong run, he has a more sophisticated toolbox as a RB in the open field than Mitchell did at the same point in his career.

So if Mitchell can succeed at the NFL level as a lead RB, even if it does turn out to be a flash in the pan (which I don’t believe it is but we’ll see) why wouldn’t we be putting Strong on your list in the same area you put Mitchell last year?

Wait, looking back at last year I just noticed that there is no sign of Mitchell either. I guess that just must have been a mistake in your cut and paste into the MB that you completely missed with that…
Strong seems like James White insurance to me. Could he be the next James White? Possible, but its a new offense in New England, so I wouldn’t want to bank on that.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:54 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:36 am Not a thing on Pierre Strong Jr? Very productive rusher, albeit at a lower level, for his entire college career. Can catch out of the backfield and is solid in pass protection. Went to a dedicated run-first team with an admittedly very difficult to decipher coaching mindset. Potential immediate opportunity with the injury to James White but is well rounded in his game. Going to have to work on ball security, but we’ve seen that is fixable at the NFL level.

Look at the comparison to Elijah Mitchell, who claimed the starting RB spot in SF:

Height 5’-10” 5’-11”
Weight 201lbs 207lbs
40 4.40s(96) 4.37s(99)

So Strong compares very favorably to Mitchell. He’s a shade bigger and faster. And if you watch Strong run, he has a more sophisticated toolbox as a RB in the open field than Mitchell did at the same point in his career.

So if Mitchell can succeed at the NFL level as a lead RB, even if it does turn out to be a flash in the pan (which I don’t believe it is but we’ll see) why wouldn’t we be putting Strong on your list in the same area you put Mitchell last year?

Wait, looking back at last year I just noticed that there is no sign of Mitchell either. I guess that just must have been a mistake in your cut and paste into the MB that you completely missed with that…
Strong seems like James White insurance to me. Could he be the next James White? Possible, but its a new offense in New England, so I wouldn’t want to bank on that.
Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of that mindset. It completely dismisses what Strong is capable of as a 3 down RB. He’s jumping up in competition moreso than power 5 RBs, but watching him run is transfixing. The kid has a ton of talent if he can make that jump successfully. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took control of that backfield and ran with Stevenson being used as a situational hammer and taking a couple of full series himself each game. That all goes out the window if Strong drops the football in a game.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:26 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:54 am
ericanadian wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 am

Height 5’-10” 5’-11”
Weight 201lbs 207lbs
40 4.40s(96) 4.37s(99)

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of that mindset. It completely dismisses what Strong is capable of as a 3 down RB. He’s jumping up in competition moreso than power 5 RBs, but watching him run is transfixing. The kid has a ton of talent if he can make that jump successfully. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took control of that backfield and ran with Stevenson being used as a situational hammer and taking a couple of full series himself each game. That all goes out the window if Strong drops the football in a game.
I like Strong in relation to his 3rd round rookie ADP as well, but this is too true and NE is the main reason I pause with him. It's funny but so accurate

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:27 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:55 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:23 pm

Dameon Pierce

Notes
Prefers to carry the ball in his right hand although did see him carry a few times with his left. Physical and violent runner with pretty good burst and quickness, but lacks the nuance of an Allgeier. Seems unsure of where to run at times. Always seems to be in a constant state of panic. Was sent down the seam for passes like a tight end, did well with them. Not asked to pass block much but seemed pretty good when doing so.

Conclusion
This appears to be another Trey Sermon situation, in that he has the athleticism and the build but lacks the polish… What is the work ethic like? Can they smooth out the rough edges or no? Why wasn’t he getting more touches in college. He was splitting work for FOUR YEARS. Work ethic? Smarts? Talent? Its hard to envision him becoming an every-down back for the Texas this year. I think the most likely scenario is he mixes in for carries in some sort of RBBC. In my opinionhe’s being over drafted by much the dynasty community.

Comps
Matt Jones
Okay, you completely lost me here speaking favorably to Trey Sermon’s athleticism. Sermon runs like a full dump truck on an 8% uphill grade. His metrics showed that he was that slow and was confirmed in his game tape.

That aside, as well as my previous post- very well done and very thorough. It takes a lot of work to produce this kind of stuff and some balls to put it out for public critique. High kudos to you.
Thanks. I’m just on my phone so hard to get into too much detail but sermon was pretty athletic he was just slow. 83rd percentile burst score and 79th percentile agility scores are excellent. I’d have to look at my scouting notes but from what I remember his initial burst was pretty good as well on film. What I didn’t like about him is that he was very raw as a runner. Again, I’d have to look back at my notes from last year. I do put a lot of importance on 40 time and I often do use that as a reference to athleticism, but even if you run a poor 40 that doesn’t mean you aren’t athletic in a general sense. I guess that is what confused you.

Also E Mitchell was not on the report last year. Strong’s profile is intriguing, I did try to look at some of his tape. Don’t think there was much out there. I believe the level of competition was pretty bad, I could be wrong on that. It was hard to develop any sort of concrete opinion based on the limited amount of stuff that’s out there. Very intriguing profile though I agree and worth a stash.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:48 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:23 pm Ok, well that about wraps it up. Sorry it was a little late this year but it gets harder every year to motivate myself to do this write-up.
Just wanted to give big kudos for your work putting this together DD, it's always a thread I really look forward to here every year. Your hard work and efforts putting yourself out there are very appreciated.

The irony of the bolded is that your model is finally coming into its own with its dataset, if anything its never been a more exciting time to read your report thanks to the bigger picture we are starting to get. Don't give up now, dude! 8-)
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:23 pm Kenneth Walker
I’ve been hearing the narrative that Breece is the better prospect but Walker is the better runner all offseason, and finally got to see it for myself. I was floored by some of the plays he was making. Basically put on any game tape and it’s a highlight video in and of itself.
Glad you finally got to see this, too. Boy he's fun. Easily my favourite rusher in the class.

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheBelgian » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 am

mild wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:48 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:23 pm Ok, well that about wraps it up. Sorry it was a little late this year but it gets harder every year to motivate myself to do this write-up.
Just wanted to give big kudos for your work putting this together DD, it's always a thread I really look forward to here every year. Your hard work and efforts putting yourself out there are very appreciated.

The irony of the bolded is that your model is finally coming into its own with its dataset, if anything its never been a more exciting time to read your report thanks to the bigger picture we are starting to get. Don't give up now, dude! 8-)
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:23 pm Kenneth Walker
I’ve been hearing the narrative that Breece is the better prospect but Walker is the better runner all offseason, and finally got to see it for myself. I was floored by some of the plays he was making. Basically put on any game tape and it’s a highlight video in and of itself.
Glad you finally got to see this, too. Boy he's fun. Easily my favourite rusher in the class.
Completely agree with Mild here. It is very cool to see this develop. I lean on this report the most. It's detailed and has the history to back it. It has also helped me know what to look for in prospects that I would have never picked out before seeing your reports. Thank you

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 pm

Just got my guys in my main league, reaching for Strong at 2.12 and Pacheco at 3.1. Took a lot of maneuvering, but I am happy. Two fastest 40s and Pacheco/Strong have elite speed size profiles. Strong has better short area quickness. Thrilled about this even though I know I reached and could have gotten better "perceived" value.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Diti51
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Diti51 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:33 pm

DD.

Thanks for the data dive, the write up and transparent data share. most importantly posting it here for all of us dynasty degenerates to enjoy in the too long off season. Great work and appreciate it!
Team 1- Friday Night Lights
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/K/D
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/14805#0
QB: Mahomes/Mayfield/Levis
RB: Jonathan Taylor/Singletary/Allgier/Ty Chandler/Bigsby/AGibson
WR: Garret Wilson/Nico Collins/Diontae Johnson/Mi Williams/Marquise Brown/Zay Flowers
TE: Goeddert/Njoku/Ferguson/Harrison Bryant

Team 2 - Good Life
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX/K/D
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/58823#0
QB: Josh Allen/Dobbs
RB: Jon Taylor/Roschon Johnson/JK Dobbins/Ty Chandler
WR: Diggs/Lockett/Diontae Johnson/Pittman/Elijah Moore/Jayden Reed/Wandale Robinson
TE: Ferguson/Okwonkwo/Juwan Johnson/Tucker Kraft/Ruckert

Team 3 - WFL
12 tm dynasty superflex, PPR, 26 man roster salary cap - no K/DST
QB: Fields/TLawrence/Zach Wilson/Mills
RB: Gibson/Chandler
WR: ACooper/Lockett/Godwin/Rashee Rice/Josh Downs/Mingo/Elijah Moore/WRobinson
TE: Goeddert/Trautman/Brevin Jordan

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 pm

One of my favorite threads every year, thanks DD for the hard work. I always refer to this come draft day!

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am

jman3134 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 pm Just got my guys in my main league, reaching for Strong at 2.12 and Pacheco at 3.1. Took a lot of maneuvering, but I am happy. Two fastest 40s and Pacheco/Strong have elite speed size profiles. Strong has better short area quickness. Thrilled about this even though I know I reached and could have gotten better "perceived" value.
Looks like a savvy move on your part. Every year I swear I should only draft rbs in the later rounds and every year I kick myself for not drafting enough rbs.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am
jman3134 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 pm Just got my guys in my main league, reaching for Strong at 2.12 and Pacheco at 3.1. Took a lot of maneuvering, but I am happy. Two fastest 40s and Pacheco/Strong have elite speed size profiles. Strong has better short area quickness. Thrilled about this even though I know I reached and could have gotten better "perceived" value.
Looks like a savvy move on your part. Every year I swear I should only draft rbs in the later rounds and every year I kick myself for not drafting enough rbs.
I like to pounce on the WW post draft like a mad man. I got Mason (SF), White (Miami), Williams (ATL) and recently Warren (Pitt). Play those lotto tickets, they will hit eventually.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Ty Chandler was an underrated prospect and he really balled out this past weekend. Really like him, not sure why he went UDFA in most rookie drafts.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:53 pm

DD - Any comments about Pacheco and your model?
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm Ty Chandler was an underrated prospect and he really balled out this past weekend. Really like him, not sure why he went UDFA in most rookie drafts.
I know nothing about Chandler as a prospect, but it's quite a depth chart.

Maybe the best RB in football, followed by a 3rd round guy Mattison who has balled out when given opportunity, followed by Kene N who has flashed mad skills on ST and has RB size
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, J Daniels, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/G WILSON/D ADAMS/DK, Pittman, Flowers, Evans, Pearsoll
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/COUSINS, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
LAPORTA/KELCE/KITTLE
/
TEAM C - 32T (2 copy), 1QB, TEP
TUA, J Daniels
KAMARA, J Brooks, Monty, Mattison
JJ/DK/GODWIN/K ALLEN, Kirk, J Meyers, Polk, Wandale
KITTLE, Goedert, Higbee
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE, Pollard
CHASE/G WILSON/AIYUK/DJM, Nabers, Pittman, Diggs, Polk
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/BREECE, Pollard
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert
/
TEAM F - 12T, SF & TEP
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm

Shcritters wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:53 pm
DD - Any comments about Pacheco and your model?
His draft capital nukes his ability to get on any of the "good" lists. But eyeballing his numbers, it looks like he should be on some of the "lesser" lists. update: Just looked into it. He basically hits every threshold for tier 4 and tier 5 except his college dominator rating is literally ~1% from hitting the benchmarks. So, room for optimism. Aaron Jones and Chase Edmonds were similar in that respect, in that they too initially just missed a certain criteria.