General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: James Cook

Postby CGW » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:51 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:35 am 1.12 sure take a swing
1.02 put the the pipe down

Think I said it about Rachaad White, but I have no issue taking a swing on Cook or another RB after the 1st 2 are gone and the top 6-8 WR are off the board
This is exactly right. Do not chase RBs just because they are RBs. It's perfectly fine to love Cook. If you love him, take him at the end of the 1st or early 2nd, not when there are still high end 1st round capital WRs available.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:40 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 am
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:01 am
Rondalebaby wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:41 am

And 31 other running backs averaged more ppg than Mckissic lol

What’s the pedigree? Splitting a backfield as a senior with another senior?

Mckissics best season where he caught 80 balls was only good for a ppr finish of RB17.

Cook’s a mid to low end RB2 at best 1.02 is ludicrous.
Always find it funny when people can’t see irony; you can figure that one out.

Almost as funny as how some pigeonhole players.

Cook certainly isn’t going to be a lead between the tackle RB.

That said, the Bills are a very well run organization with a very creative offense; Why do you think he was drafted? How do you see him utilized?

Newsflash; Deebo is the new blueprint. Similar to CMC but from a WR perspective.

Players like Etienne and Cook will have a place. Position less players as a trend will replace the pigeon hole mindset. RB is just the latest transformation from 3rd down backs.

Cook is a risk no doubt in late round 1 but with risk there is opportunity if you understand the NFL is a far more creative league on offense than in the past.
Except there are so few players talented enough to be "positionless" on any consistent basis, where it's not specifically to expose a certain matchup on a singular play/formation. Lev Bell was running routes as a receiver years ago. It's not like trying to line up a RB a WR to get him matched up vs a LB is a new thing. If a RB is lined up vs a corner, that's not going to bode well for the RB. I understand that they will try and get him the ball, and I know you are replying to another poster, but taking Cook at 1.02, as you said happened, is ludicrous. Cook is a solid role player, but not nearly talented enough to take at 1.02. Now ETN....different story. That's a guy who is worthy of a 1.02 pick.

Also, Deebo had 1 season of the new "blueprint" and basically said trade me or change my role, so if he's the new blueprint, I don't think WR's are suddenly going to want to carry the ball a bunch. Now RB's catching the ball more? Sure. Then we get that whole Lev Bell thing again, where they argue they should be paid more in line with WR money. It's why CMC, despite his injuries, is worth the contract he got, at least in theory.
It always amazes me how people fixate on one thing. What I said was I have seen him go as high as 1.2 which I also said was Uber risky. I actually did take him at 1.10 on upside. Uber Risky, Ludicrous, why do people poke out their chest when others are in violent agreement?

My guess is people just want to fixate on some nebulous point without considering why NFL teams actually do what they do.

We are seeing fantasy owners fall all over themselves for Skyy Moore as an example who is actually very similar to Cook. Skyy Moore was the 13th WR selected and is an average route runner at this point but people see a slot player in a good position drafted on a creative team.

James Cook, who happens to be a good route runner out of the backfield and out wide with a solid understanding of pass protection was drafted a few spots later and offers a ton of flexibility.

BTW I do Like Skyy Moore but his upside is not really any better although better defined at this point.

While it is rare as you pointed out; Cook just happens to have very unique skill sets and was drafted to a very creative pass first offense as well.

What I am saying here are not just my thoughts but is pretty common knowledge but most just can't get past a players label. We see it at TE, Safety, DT, DE, LB, and now RB. We even see it at WR as they line up all over including at TE and RB.

Cook is an explosive player with the ball in his hands and the Bills will figure out ways to get that elusive sub 4.5 speed with incredible quickness on the field. Focus on how he is used in camp; My guess is he will be lining up all over the field much like he was in college. I think he will excel as a zone runner but he is a better receiver IMO at this point.

He is worthy of a late first pick on his high floor and upside as a football player. Highly doubt he is bust as a player with a career 6.5 rushing average and 10.9 receiving average.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:50 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:40 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 am
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:01 am

Always find it funny when people can’t see irony; you can figure that one out.

Almost as funny as how some pigeonhole players.

Cook certainly isn’t going to be a lead between the tackle RB.

That said, the Bills are a very well run organization with a very creative offense; Why do you think he was drafted? How do you see him utilized?

Newsflash; Deebo is the new blueprint. Similar to CMC but from a WR perspective.

Players like Etienne and Cook will have a place. Position less players as a trend will replace the pigeon hole mindset. RB is just the latest transformation from 3rd down backs.

Cook is a risk no doubt in late round 1 but with risk there is opportunity if you understand the NFL is a far more creative league on offense than in the past.
Except there are so few players talented enough to be "positionless" on any consistent basis, where it's not specifically to expose a certain matchup on a singular play/formation. Lev Bell was running routes as a receiver years ago. It's not like trying to line up a RB a WR to get him matched up vs a LB is a new thing. If a RB is lined up vs a corner, that's not going to bode well for the RB. I understand that they will try and get him the ball, and I know you are replying to another poster, but taking Cook at 1.02, as you said happened, is ludicrous. Cook is a solid role player, but not nearly talented enough to take at 1.02. Now ETN....different story. That's a guy who is worthy of a 1.02 pick.

Also, Deebo had 1 season of the new "blueprint" and basically said trade me or change my role, so if he's the new blueprint, I don't think WR's are suddenly going to want to carry the ball a bunch. Now RB's catching the ball more? Sure. Then we get that whole Lev Bell thing again, where they argue they should be paid more in line with WR money. It's why CMC, despite his injuries, is worth the contract he got, at least in theory.
It always amazes me how people fixate on one thing. What I said was I have seen him go as high as 1.2 which I also said was Uber risky. I actually did take him at 1.10 on upside. Uber Risky, Ludicrous, why do people poke out their chest when others are in violent agreement?

My guess is people just want to fixate on some nebulous point without considering why NFL teams actually do what they do.

We are seeing fantasy owners fall all over themselves for Skyy Moore as an example who is actually very similar to Cook. Skyy Moore was the 13th WR selected and is an average route runner at this point but people see a slot player in a good position drafted on a creative team.

James Cook, who happens to be a good route runner out of the backfield and out wide with a solid understanding of pass protection was drafted a few spots later and offers a ton of flexibility.

BTW I do Like Skyy Moore but his upside is not really any better although better defined at this point.

While it is rare as you pointed out; Cook just happens to have very unique skill sets and was drafted to a very creative pass first offense as well.

What I am saying here are not just my thoughts but is pretty common knowledge but most just can't get past a players label. We see it at TE, Safety, DT, DE, LB, and now RB.

Cook is an explosive player with the ball in his hands and the Bills will figure out ways to get that elusive sub 4.5 speed with incredible quickness on the field. Focus on how he is used in camp; My guess is he will be lining up all over the field much like he was in college. I think he will excel as a zone runner but he is a better receiver IMO at this point.

He is worthy of a late first pick on his high floor and upside as a football player. Highly doubt he is bust as a player with a career 6.5 rushing average and 10.9 receiving average.
To each their own. I just think it's a bad bet to project high volumes (which I am not saying you are doing) on a player who didn't have that in college. He was basically nobody until his senior year. Even then, he didn't get a big work load. That's why I am saying he needs to catch a lot of passes and score TD's from outside the 10, as he's not a goal line back. Not saying he can't, just that he needs that to be FF relevant to any degree, whereas there are other RB's who don't depend on that, and can still do all the things he can.

As for Moore, he's an early declare, with a much better metrics profile, and was elite in categories such route running on "staple routes" (routes that the NFL runs more than 7 percent of the time), and forced missed tackles, for instance. Much better prospect than James Cook is, IMO.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 am

James Cook RB last season in college would have landed him in the 10-15 range in NFL over a 16 game schedule. How he is used will determine how good he is in fantasy.

My point is; He was drafted to catch a lot of passes.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:16 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 am James Cook RB last season in college would have landed him in the 10-15 range in NFL over a 16 game schedule. How he is used will determine how good he is in fantasy.

He was drafted to fill a role, and yes catching passes. The bolded is completely irrelevant. The thing is, there is a large history of data on QB's like Allen to show RB targets and receptions aren't going to be there. At least not ceiling wise. QB's with his mobility and penchant for wanting the bigger play means he's not going to check down. We know this. He extends the play with his legs, and runs, or looks for the downfield play because he's created enough time for his WR's to separate outside of structure. "A lot of passes" in the Bills offense is 50.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:26 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:16 am
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 am James Cook RB last season in college would have landed him in the 10-15 range in NFL over a 16 game schedule. How he is used will determine how good he is in fantasy.

He was drafted to fill a role, and yes catching passes. The bolded is completely irrelevant. The thing is, there is a large history of data on QB's like Allen to show RB targets and receptions aren't going to be there. At least not ceiling wise. QB's with his mobility and penchant for wanting the bigger play means he's not going to check down. We know this. He extends the play with his legs, and runs, or looks for the downfield play because he's created enough time for his WR's to separate outside of structure. "A lot of passes" in the Bills offense is 50.
Irrelevant; That may be the biggest BS I have ever heard you say. Fantasy Football is all about projections and I know for a fact someone with your experience projects value with pretty much every player you have ever drafted or traded for so don't come out me projections being irrelevant given it is a friggen corner stone of Fantasy football.

I have no issues with you disagreeing with a projection or a comparative projection but that is a completely different discussion.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:26 am

Irrelevant; That may be the biggest BS I have ever heard you say. Fantasy Football is all about projections and I know for a fact someone with your experience projects value with pretty much every player you have ever drafted or traded for so don't come out me projections being irrelevant given it is a friggen corner stone of Fantasy football.

I have no issues with you disagreeing with a projection or a comparative projection but that is a completely different discussion.
So talking about Cook's college stats projected to the NFL is relevant? Want to guess what Burrow's senior season would have projected as? I'm saying projecting college stats to what they would have finished in the NFL is irrelevant. A guy like Cook, is on the far superior roster 99 percent of the time he steps onto the college field, it's just not the same sort of parity in college, nor is it the same sort of game. Look, it is about projection. I'm saying that comparison to an NFL finish is largely irrelevant. We can project the Bills offense will still throw to RB's less than the average team because of their QB. That's not tough to projection. Yes, Cook was drafted to catch passes, probably because they had no RB on the roster the felt was all that good at it, and none of the guys they have on their roster of not run a sub 4.6, so they lack a guy who is more explosive to maximize those targets. It doesn't mean they draft a RB in the late 2nd and Allen is suddenly going to target the RB twice as much as he used to.

I believe you predicted a 70 catch season for CEH as a rookie. You, myself, and a lot of other people assumed he'd at least have a lot more than he did. However, that was way off. Reid/Mahomes ran that offense the same way they normally did. They didn't go out of their way to target CEH at all. Now maybe this year, without Hill, the finally will tap into his receiving upside more. That was a first round RB. All I am saying is don't expect the Bills offense to drastically change their target output to the RB's.

I'm genuinely curious what you project Cook's receiving numbers to be this year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 am
I'm genuinely curious what you project Cook's receiving numbers to be this year.
Without all the nonsense if you really were I will just copy my post from a few pages ago.
I recently took him at 1.10 in a league I am stacked at most positions with no regrets. I had Dotson rated a bit higher at WR but was so stacked and couldn't move out of the pick so took him.

Reminds me of Pollard with a bit more upside. He needs to add a bit of strength but in today's spread offenses he has the speed and acceleration to take it to the house at any given moment.

Don't see him as a stud but has the upside to gain 1100 or so yards and 50 receptions which makes him a solid flex play and maybe more at some point. I think he is a high floor player.
The difference between me and most is I actually am not afraid to share my projections which is a big difference in those that only criticize a few that may not be perfect which is rather weak.

What do you project for this player that helped his college team win a National title and was the 3rd RB selected in the second round by a very good team.

BTW, the Bills threw it to backs last year 73 times. None of those have Cook's skill set.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:20 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 am
Without all the nonsense if you really were I will just copy my post from a few pages ago.
I recently took him at 1.10 in a league I am stacked at most positions with no regrets. I had Dotson rated a bit higher at WR but was so stacked and couldn't move out of the pick so took him.

Reminds me of Pollard with a bit more upside. He needs to add a bit of strength but in today's spread offenses he has the speed and acceleration to take it to the house at any given moment.

Don't see him as a stud but has the upside to gain 1100 or so yards and 50 receptions which makes him a solid flex play and maybe more at some point. I think he is a high floor player.
The difference between me and most is I actually am not afraid to share my projections which is a big difference in those that only criticize a few that may not be perfect which is rather weak.

What do you project for this player that helped his college team win a National title and was the 3rd RB selected in the second round by a very good team.

BTW, the Bills threw it to backs last year 73 times. None of those have Cook's skill set.
I agree with you on the potential of Cook, but we seemingly did think the same thing about CEH in KC when he was drafted. BUF isn't about to change their offense to incorporate Cook, but at the time I believe Cook can adjust his game to become a factor in the offense. Singletary will be in the mix, but even a simple injury away and Cook has zero competition to showcase what he could do in a spread offense. I personally want to ignore the lack of college production as he was at RBU and too many mouths, but it is a potential red flag. I used the 2.1 on him myself. Probably should've went a different route, but he was worth the gamble.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 am

Not trying to slight Singletary who plays hard and did have 40 receptions last season but he is an UFA after this season and is extremely slow by comparison to Cook. It is pretty obvious his days in Buffalo are most likely numbered.

I get a few must think Buffalo won't create opportunity or are somehow stagnant in their approach but the smart money should be on how often they will get this new dynamic player on the field. Cook has the speed and quickness to blow by players in the slot or in motion out of the backfield; Singletary can't even blow by most LB's.

It won't be long IMO before he moves Singletary to a more back up role.

2021 snap counts to consider
Singletary 718, Moss 380, Gilliam 155

None of these players really have the skill set to line up outside or in the slot. Between them they lined up in receiver type positions 88 times. I expect that number to increase substantially with Cook's speed and receiving ability.

The Bills got way faster on offense with Cook. Cook dropped one pass in 68 attempts. He can really catch.

In the grand scheme, he doesn't have a lot of competition for touches. Time will tell, the only real bragging right he has so far is he is faster than his big bother Dalvin.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:09 am

Remember when everyone "knew" Cam Newton didn't throw to RB's. Then CMC came along who caught 80 balls as a rookie. Dingleberry has caught 38 and 40 balls over the past 2 seasons which is actually a huge number given that he stinks and was horribly inefficient with them.

Remember when the most rush attempts in a single game Antonio Gibson ever had in college was 6, and then he averaged 12 per game as a rookie in the NFL and 16 per game the year after that.

Come on people. If Cook is talented he'll be fine. If not then he won't be fine. The opportunity is there. Don't out-think yourselves with tired tropes. If you think Cook sucks because you don't like his film and you think he has toothpicks for legs then that is a perfectly fine opinion. But there's no need to spin some narrative that doesn't hold water.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:18 am

Dingleberry :lol:

I feel 12 again.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 am

He was drafted to fill a role, and yes catching passes. The bolded is completely irrelevant.
Irrelevant; That may be the biggest BS I have ever heard you say. Fantasy Football is all about projections
yeah, but there are projections, and then there's extrapolating a set of data in a very different context.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:13 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 am

He was drafted to fill a role, and yes catching passes. The bolded is completely irrelevant.
Irrelevant; That may be the biggest BS I have ever heard you say. Fantasy Football is all about projections
yeah, but there are projections, and then there's extrapolating a set of data in a very different context.
So how many touches do you think James Cook will get in 2022? Break it down based on your assessment between rushing and receiving? For a base reference Singletary had 188 rushes and 40 receptions last season. 4.6 YPC and 5.7 YPR.

Does 140 touches and 1012 yards sound reasonable to you? That is how many Cook had last season in college and he did a ton of damage with so few opportunities. 6.4 YPC and 10.5 YPR.

I have already gone on record his upside is 1100 yards and 50 receptions as a rookie.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:30 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:18 am Dingleberry :lol:

I feel 12 again.
I giggled too :lol: such an appropriate nickname for a 203 lb grinder.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...