Should I trade for a QB? - SF Rebuild with tons of DC

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Should I trade for a QB? - SF Rebuild with tons of DC

Postby colt77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:58 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a 12 man SF 2Point TE Premium with tons of draft capital and a pretty meh team with a few solid pieces. I'm in a position where I have 12 firsts over the next 3 drafts with 5 in '22 and 5 in '23. I also have 8 2nds over the next 3 drafts, so i'm stocked up. Now i'm trying to think of how to play everything out. I'll post my current team at the bottom and it's also in the sig. Basically, i'm trying to build a team around Lawrence, Pitts, and Swift. Deebo and Dionate/Bateman as my core at WR. Yet, I lack on RBs and Qbs and honestly could use another TE too given the format and even another WR or so. In this current draft, I own the 1.01, 1.03, 1.05, 1.08, 1.09, 2.10 and then 2 early 3rds. I'm wondering if I should trade for a Qb with some of this DC though. The Dak owner and Lamar owner both have made it clear they would move them. It'd be Mayfield plus a bunch of DC if I tried. Dak owner would be a lot easier to work with i'm pretty sure. But then I think that I could just draft Breece Hall and possibly Spiller while taking 2-3 Qbs with my other firsts and see how that pans out. I'm just really not sure what to do and also what to offer if I do pursue Lamar or Dak. I dont know, what would you guys recommend?

12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Trevor Lawrence, Mayfield, Love, Heinicke
Rbs: Swift, Jamaal Williams, Nwangu
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Sutton, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins, Schwartz
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Jacob Harris, Albert O
K: Gay
D: -Steelers, Broncos
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence
Rbs: Barkley, Breece Hall, Javonte Williams, Swift, Jamaal Williams
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Olave, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Kittle, Okonkwo
D: -Steelers

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Qbs: Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Tua
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins
TEs: Kittle, Pitts, Jacob Harris
K: Butker

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Should I trade for a QB? - SF Rebuild with tons of DC

Postby abloom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:03 pm

I don't see the point in trading for a QB at the moment if you don't have the rbs to compete. I'd rather just draft this draft and then use the 23 picks to either cement your dynasty team with rookies or with vets using the high value of the 23 picks. Your team just has too many holes to invest heavily in QB.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm

abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:03 pm I don't see the point in trading for a QB at the moment if you don't have the rbs to compete. I'd rather just draft this draft and then use the 23 picks to either cement your dynasty team with rookies or with vets using the high value of the 23 picks. Your team just has too many holes to invest heavily in QB.
Yea, that's fair. I was just thinking that I could cement that QB spot with a top 5 guys and not worry about it, but then I also feel pretty confident on my drafting skills and filling out my team that way too. I expect 2023 to net me another at least 2 picks within the top 5 out of those 5 total firsts, so I could take RBs there too, but I don't know.

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:33 pm

colt77 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm
abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:03 pm I don't see the point in trading for a QB at the moment if you don't have the rbs to compete. I'd rather just draft this draft and then use the 23 picks to either cement your dynasty team with rookies or with vets using the high value of the 23 picks. Your team just has too many holes to invest heavily in QB.
Yea, that's fair. I was just thinking that I could cement that QB spot with a top 5 guys and not worry about it, but then I also feel pretty confident on my drafting skills and filling out my team that way too. I expect 2023 to net me another at least 2 picks within the top 5 out of those 5 total firsts, so I could take RBs there too, but I don't know.
Right but if that's the case you can draft well this year and then use your future assets on top 5 QB when you are planning on competing. I think it's different if you don't have 5 2023 picks, but with those you can draft this year then trade for vets next year and have a team of year 2 players and vets rather than vets that are a year older and rookies.
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:49 pm

This is where I land as well. I would go BPA in this draft and next and not focus on any rookie in particular. If you go in and draft BPA, you maximize your value both within the draft and on the trade market as you continue to build. I would let the next two drafts play out before you try and focus on trading a bunch of capital for established assets and see how your picks pan out. Also, I would hold all of your 2023 picks and let that hype and value keep growing. Your roster holes and time/drafts are needed here.

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:51 pm

abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:33 pm
Right but if that's the case you can draft well this year and then use your future assets on top 5 QB when you are planning on competing. I think it's different if you don't have 5 2023 picks, but with those you can draft this year then trade for vets next year and have a team of year 2 players and vets rather than vets that are a year older and rookies.
That's true, I think the perception plays into it too though. Apparently the 2023 class is supposed to be as crazy if not crazier than '23 so I'd like to draft using all of those picks ya know? I know regardless though I should probably wait till after the actual NFL draft to get max value if I were to trade and also just to now what to specifically expect.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm

colt77 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:51 pm

That's true, I think the perception plays into it too though. Apparently the 2023 class is supposed to be as crazy if not crazier than '23 so I'd like to draft using all of those picks ya know? I know regardless though I should probably wait till after the actual NFL draft to get max value if I were to trade and also just to now what to specifically expect.
I think it's almost better to trade in the good drafts because everyone thinks the rookies are autohits and if that's the case you can cash in big. Plus like I said the 23 draft is a year out. Timing wise it's worth it to get rookies first and then vets so that all players are firing on all cylinders at the same time. If you go vets first then rookies it's possible you are wasting some vet years while your rookies are getting experience. Keep in mind while we have seen some great rookie production in recent years, it traditionally has not been a common occurrence and even when it does occur it tends to be a couple rookies not all rookies.
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm

abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm
colt77 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:51 pm

I think it's almost better to trade in the good drafts because everyone thinks the rookies are autohits and if that's the case you can cash in big. Plus like I said the 23 draft is a year out. Timing wise it's worth it to get rookies first and then vets so that all players are firing on all cylinders at the same time. If you go vets first then rookies it's possible you are wasting some vet years while your rookies are getting experience. Keep in mind while we have seen some great rookie production in recent years, it traditionally has not been a common occurrence and even when it does occur it tends to be a couple rookies not all rookies.
That's true you're making really good points. Maybe this draft i do go BPA like you and Gator mentioned and possibly just focus on WR and QB, and then in '23 if I want to draft, take some RBs then because they're the most likely to produce immediately. I really liked your point about how i'm kind of wasting vet years if i do vets first, it makes sense. Thank you for the advice dude!

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm

With all that capital and a solid base, I would aim higher if you're going to acquire a QB.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm

briank wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm With all that capital and a solid base, I would aim higher if you're going to acquire a QB.
Dak and Lamar are the only two on the block really, I don't think the Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow owners would be willing to do anything with me and then maaaaybe the Kyler owner, but i don't even really want to touch kyler rn

bigbuck22
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigbuck22 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm not a fan of the QBs in this draft class so I would be fine with looking into moving 1.1 for a young guy like Lance.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:33 pm

colt77 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm
briank wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm With all that capital and a solid base, I would aim higher if you're going to acquire a QB.
Dak and Lamar are the only two on the block really, I don't think the Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow owners would be willing to do anything with me and then maaaaybe the Kyler owner, but i don't even really want to touch kyler rn
Those just aren't guys i'd be targeting personally, but it depends on the price. I like the idea of targeting Lance.

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm

If I had any of the top 7 QBs, I wouldn't really be looking to move off of any of them for a severe downgrade to Baker and draft picks. So if you can get a deal for Dak or Lamar without moving any 23 picks, I would be definitely be exploring that possibility because elite QB is the hardest position to fill. Maybe you get lucky with a rookie, but I don't see anyone in this rookie class getting there. Even some of the lustre of Lawrence has worn off after witnessing a mediocre year.
Pivoting to Lance was a solid suggestion and likely not to be as pricey.
If it were me, I would be exploring those trade avenues. If it's too expensive (3+ firsts) then I fall back on using the picks but any of the top 7 have the age window on their side where they will still be scoring at that level when you need them to in 2023 thus making them worth trying to acquire. If you're counting on a rookie QB to be scoring for you in 2023, then you're likely not competing.

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 am

zaner75 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm
If I had any of the top 7 QBs, I wouldn't really be looking to move off of any of them for a severe downgrade to Baker and draft picks. So if you can get a deal for Dak or Lamar without moving any 23 picks, I would be definitely be exploring that possibility because elite QB is the hardest position to fill. Maybe you get lucky with a rookie, but I don't see anyone in this rookie class getting there. Even some of the lustre of Lawrence has worn off after witnessing a mediocre year.
If it were me, I would be exploring those trade avenues. If it's too expensive (3+ firsts) then I fall back on using the picks but any of the top 7 have the age window on their side where they will still be scoring at that level when you need them to in 2023 thus making them worth trying to acquire. If you're counting on a rookie QB to be scoring for you in 2023, then you're likely not competing.
I ended up trading for Dak. Sent the 1.03, 1.09, and Mayfield for Dak and a 2024 2nd. I feel pretty good about it, and now I can relax a bit about that position being locked down.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:41 am

colt77 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 am
zaner75 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm

I ended up trading for Dak. Sent the 1.03, 1.09, and Mayfield for Dak and a 2024 2nd. I feel pretty good about it, and now I can relax a bit about that position being locked down.
In the end, I think this is a very solid deal based on price and who you landed. Nice deal. Mayfield is a huge gamble and getting a 2nd back makes this even better. Congrats on getting the deal made and for a good price!