GOAT

Re: Jalen Hurts

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:44 am

Dynos wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 am
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:00 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:32 am

x2
Agree,

Hurts almost has a minny Tebow quality about him. He was a very good college QB even though Hurts struggled there to win a job and changed schools.

The NFL is big boy football.

He seems like a good guy and could develop but I have my doubts he will ever be elite at the NFL level.
if he's elite with his legs and give me many ff points just like lamar i will gladly take him hehe

lamar is not really good to throw a football but people still like him as a top dynasty asset in SF. i don't see why hurts can't do it the same way.
This is dynasty, though. Hurts may not be the QB long in Philly if he's only good with his legs. They have potentially 3 firsts next year (at worst 2 firsts and 2 seconds). If you're talking redraft, no worries, but Hurts needs to play well or he may be replaced as early as next year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:49 am The idea that Lamar isn't good at throwing the football is like an old worn out wives tale that simply isn't true. I get people thinking that because he is a phenom running the rock BUT......

While he may be a bit unorthodox, his career passer rating is 102.6

To put that in perspective, we have 3 seasons of stats and that rating would be 4th ALL TIME in the NFL.
Interesting - guess it comes down to whether you think Hurts or even Lamar can take their passing game to the next level, like Allen.

Allen's ascent shocked me in all honesty (obv more than sold on him now!), so it could definitely happen for all three of these guys.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:22 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:56 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:49 am The idea that Lamar isn't good at throwing the football is like an old worn out wives tale that simply isn't true. I get people thinking that because he is a phenom running the rock BUT......

While he may be a bit unorthodox, his career passer rating is 102.6

To put that in perspective, we have 3 seasons of stats and that rating would be 4th ALL TIME in the NFL.
Interesting - guess it comes down to whether you think Hurts or even Lamar can take their passing game to the next level, like Allen.

Allen's ascent shocked me in all honesty (obv more than sold on him now!), so it could definitely happen for all three of these guys.
I was Allen's Bandwagon prior to the draft. I thought he had the tools be great. I don't think either of those have anywhere near the arm talent but then again Allen had the highest exit velocity on his throws coming out ever recorded with only minor mechanical flaws.

That view doesn't mean Lamar is bad by any measure. He reads defenses well and does throw a nice touch pass with a low turnover ratio when passing. Hurts struggles a bit with reading defenses IMO and I am not fan of his mechanics. I see Hurts as a higher end backup quality player with starter upside.

All three seem to have a ton of desire.

Lots of effective QB's out there with varying skill sets.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Hurts did not see any action in the pre-season did he? I cannot recall either way tbh.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm Hurts did not see any action in the pre-season did he? I cannot recall either way tbh.
Yes, he did. Went 3/7 for 54 yards in limited action.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm Hurts did not see any action in the pre-season did he? I cannot recall either way tbh.
Yes, he did. Went 3/7 for 54 yards in limited action.
Ah ok - enough to get his feet wet & shake off cobwebs/rust/whatnot but not enough to give us any real indication as how things are going to progress.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:37 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm Ah ok - enough to get his feet wet & shake off cobwebs/rust/whatnot but not enough to give us any real indication as how things are going to progress.
He looked better than that stat line imo. Have a look. By my count of that 3/7 - two egregious drops off his receivers hands, one barely-missed connection on the deep shot, and one throwaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04fP9TObbmI

He was set to play in the 2nd Preseason game - and then was rushed to the hospital with a stomach infection about 5 minutes before kickoff. Bad luck. Starters were sat for the 3rd preseason game.

I still think you could do much much worse at QB in a SF or late-round QB strat. He's going to have some truly gaudy blowup weeks statistically.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 pm

mild wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:37 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm Ah ok - enough to get his feet wet & shake off cobwebs/rust/whatnot but not enough to give us any real indication as how things are going to progress.
He looked better than that stat line imo. Have a look. By my count of that 3/7 - two egregious drops off his receivers hands, one barely-missed connection on the deep shot, and one throwaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04fP9TObbmI

He was set to play in the 2nd Preseason game - and then was rushed to the hospital with a stomach infection about 5 minutes before kickoff. Bad luck. Starters were sat for the 3rd preseason game.

I still think you could do much much worse at QB in a SF or late-round QB strat. He's going to have some truly gaudy blowup weeks statistically.
Can’t wait. He’s a guy who feels impossible not to root for. From a dynasty perspective, I can’t gauge if he’s a long term starter - (and therefore whether he’s a buy or sell)

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 pm From a dynasty perspective, I can’t gauge if he’s a long term starter - (and therefore whether he’s a buy or sell)
Yeah something feels off there with Hurts and Philly - really curious to see how it plays out.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 pm
Prison_Mike wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 pm He’s a guy who feels impossible not to root for. From a dynasty perspective, I can’t gauge if he’s a long term starter - (and therefore whether he’s a buy or sell)
Yeah something feels off there with Hurts and Philly - really curious to see how it plays out.
I think when the market has this much trepidation around a player it can be just as useful to hedge the bet the other way. For any contenders that haven't considered it yet, he's possibly worth a buy just as a single-season play in SF leagues. I've got him as my backup in my single QB redraft money league, and I love his upside for that. (I've also got him on my Dynasty SF team where I'll be hoping to sell in a high-price window if he pops)

It may not lead to wins on the board in the real NFL, but his tendencies (tucks and runs, but also likes to scramble to throw the deep shot) will lead to some really big fantasy days. There's a reasonable case to be made that he's going to be discount 2019 Lamar Jackson - someone you can get really cheap with insane upside - he doesn't have Lamar's quicks and jukes, but his skill group is arguably better.

I'm expecting him to get off to a pretty nutty start vs. Atlanta. For what it's worth, he's won the locker room according to the beat. As Mike said... with his story, and his great attitude through all the adversity - he is impossible not to root for.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am

Kudos to any and all that were locked in on Hurts having a QB1 week. Well done.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:16 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am Kudos to any and all that were locked in on Hurts having a QB1 week. Well done.
As a Cowboy fan, I really hate how well he played. He played better than I thought he would for sure. Showed nice touch on several passes. :(
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am Kudos to any and all that were locked in on Hurts having a QB1 week. Well done.
I'd hope almost everyone expected a Qb1 fantasy performance against Atlanta.

That said, the coaching staff did an excellent job game planning easy throws in. He wasn't throwing bombs, but he completed 77% of his passes...which is a massive improvement. I still want to see this kind of improvement versus a professional football team first, but what a big step in the right direction.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Currently QB6 on the week, just barely eeking out Dak and Russell Wilson (with Lamar still to play, obviously) - it's a great start. We can't knock him for doing what he was supposed to do against Atlanta - good players *should* take advantage of great matchups.

Now it gets interesting, though: SF, @DAL, KC

To me, the bigger story is the weapons around him. Philly has low-key finally hit on some playmakers - it can't be overstated how good Devonta Smith looks out there; he was open practically every play. And the 1-2 punch from Goedart and Ertz is a wonderful safety blanket to have.

Colour me extremely intrigued. (Also one of my gambling high-points of the week - he rushed the OVER on 50 yards again - something he has done on every game he's finished thus far (4/4) plus he had 37 yards at the half in the WFT game where he was pulled - the floor is just so good with his rushing)

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jalen Hurts: what's the verdict?

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:40 am

I haven't watched much of the Eagles this year. I'm a huge fan of his mental makeup and character, but have been pretty skeptical that he'd be able to sustain long-term success in the NFL.

What are his chances of developing enough to be a successful franchise QB for Philly? Good news for running quarterbacks is their legs give them a little more time to develop their passing abilities.