Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm

briank wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:49 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:56 pm I probably saw all of Wilson’s carries, he seemed talented but from what I remember he fumbled his way out of the starting job, literally cried about it on the sideline and got a career ending neck injury
Did you do your running back report this year?
Not yet. Covid shortened collegiate season plus lack of a combine has really made a mess of things. Thanks for reminding me though, i'll have to get to it one of these days.

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Sun May 23, 2021 3:09 pm

I took him at 1.05 today and I'm happy.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon May 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:56 pm I probably saw all of Wilson’s carries, he seemed talented but from what I remember he fumbled his way out of the starting job, literally cried about it on the sideline and got a career ending neck injury
Not yet. Covid shortened collegiate season plus lack of a combine has really made a mess of things. Thanks for reminding me though, i'll have to get to it one of these days.
So, a day later. Some polite begging/prodding to see this. Is it done yet? :)
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon May 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Well, based on best available evidence, etienne likely would be in the tier 2 list with Chubb, mixon, Lamar Miller and jstew. Williams in tier 3 with Hyde, lacy, trich, Doug Martin, dwilliams. All this is somewhat speculative though because like I said the college production and athletic testing numbers were wonky this year. Najee didn’t test and the rest of the rbs don’t seem to fit any category. Etienne reminds me of mixon as a good athletic talent but needs work and refinement.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:15 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Well, based on best available evidence, etienne likely would be in the tier 2 list with Chubb, mixon, Lamar Miller and jstew. Williams in tier 3 with Hyde, lacy, trich, Doug Martin, dwilliams. All this is somewhat speculative though because like I said the college production and athletic testing numbers were wonky this year. Najee didn’t test and the rest of the rbs don’t seem to fit any category. Etienne reminds me of mixon as a good athletic talent but needs work and refinement.
Huh. Thought your system was kinda centered around college production, draft capital, and speed score. Etienne nails all three. Obviously don’t want your secret sauce but that’s what I thought it was.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 pm

No. I don’t understand the love for this guy. He’s a homerun hitter that struggles between the tackles. I can’t imagine taking him over guys like Pitts, or Waddle.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 am

dipANDglide wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 pm No. I don’t understand the love for this guy. He’s a homerun hitter that struggles between the tackles. I can’t imagine taking him over guys like Pitts, or Waddle.
Show me the actual stats that Etienne struggles between the tackles. I get that Harris running behind the best O line vs the 50th or so best line for Etienne in 2020 may be a reference point but the struggle narrative simply doesn't appear to be factual unless you can prove it otherwise. I sure don't see this on tape and his ratings overall are off the charts. Etienne is a home run hitter that also scores plenty from between the tackles. One of the better backs ever breaking tackles in college.

I like Pitts as the best in this class so agree there but Waddle is closer in fantasy. I have seen Etienne go ahead of Waddle in all my drafts but 1.

NFL; both of those players obviously went higher and should have gone higher.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed May 26, 2021 9:54 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 am
dipANDglide wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 pm No. I don’t understand the love for this guy. He’s a homerun hitter that struggles between the tackles. I can’t imagine taking him over guys like Pitts, or Waddle.
Show me the actual stats that Etienne struggles between the tackles. I get that Harris running behind the best O line vs the 50th or so best line for Etienne in 2020 may be a reference point but the struggle narrative simply doesn't appear to be factual unless you can prove it otherwise. I sure don't see this on tape and his ratings overall are off the charts. Etienne is a home run hitter that also scores plenty from between the tackles. One of the better backs ever breaking tackles in college.

I like Pitts as the best in this class so agree there but Waddle is closer in fantasy. I have seen Etienne go ahead of Waddle in all my drafts but 1.

Where are your stats on this? I don't recall ever hearing even the most ardent ETN supporters say he is good at breaking tackles.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 am

mgscott wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:54 am

Where are your stats on this? I don't recall ever hearing even the most ardent ETN supporters say he is good at breaking tackles.
A little busy now but his ability to break tackles was no secret and it is all over the web, Pretty sure I posted a few things about this in one of these thread.
2019 season
Last season, Etienne led the nation with 91 broken tackles as he averaged 5.07 yards after contact. He also added 27 carries over 15 or more yards and had a 51.4 percent breakaway rate.

“That forced missed tackle rate was the highest PFF has ever recorded for a single season,” Pro Football Focus writer Michael Renner said.
https://247sports.com/Article/Travis-Et ... 150838541/

That is just one source I had when I researched him some time ago handy but I am certain you will find more with little effort.

His total yards after contact in College is extremely impressive. I posted that I am sure at some point.
PFF College
@PFF_College
Travis Etienne has 3,087 yards AFTER CONTACT in his career at Clemson.

400 more than any other draft-eligible player.

That info came from a March 9th quote.
Good Luck!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed May 26, 2021 10:58 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 am
mgscott wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:54 am

A little busy now but his ability to break tackles was no secret and it is all over the web, Pretty sure I posted a few things about this in one of these thread.
2019 season
Last season, Etienne led the nation with 91 broken tackles as he averaged 5.07 yards after contact. He also added 27 carries over 15 or more yards and had a 51.4 percent breakaway rate.

“That forced missed tackle rate was the highest PFF has ever recorded for a single season,” Pro Football Focus writer Michael Renner said.
https://247sports.com/Article/Travis-Et ... 150838541/

That is just one source I had when I researched him some time ago handy but I am certain you will find more with little effort.

His total yards after contact in College is extremely impressive. I posted that I am sure at some point.
PFF College
@PFF_College

Good Luck!
OK. I guess we have different ideas of what breaking tackles is. Forced missed tackles more often than not are juking defenders out vs breaking through tackles. That's how Monty got such a high rating. It also seems to be a fairly subjective stat as I recall Monty seemed to get credit for some in college that were far from forced missed tackles. To each their own, I guess, but I am in the camp that Etienne is not much of a between the tackles runner unless the hole is huge. Forced missed tackles and yards after contact doesn't sway my opinion on that.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed May 26, 2021 11:09 am

mgscott wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:58 am
Ice wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 am His total yards after contact in College is extremely impressive. I posted that I am sure at some point.
PFF College
@PFF_College

Good Luck!
OK. I guess we have different ideas of what breaking tackles is. Forced missed tackles more often than not are juking defenders out vs breaking through tackles. That's how Monty got such a high rating. It also seems to be a fairly subjective stat as I recall Monty seemed to get credit for some in college that were far from forced missed tackles. To each their own, I guess, but I am in the camp that Etienne is not much of a between the tackles runner unless the hole is huge. Forced missed tackles and yards after contact doesn't sway my opinion on that.
Yards after contact is literally the yards generated after first contact with a defender.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Wed May 26, 2021 11:21 am

Sriracha wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:09 am
Ice wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 am His total yards after contact in College is extremely impressive. I posted that I am sure at some point.

Good Luck!
Yards after contact is literally the yards generated after first contact with a defender.
I’m not following the logic here. If Monty was a better athlete he would be one of the best RBs in the league. Slipping through tackles is a better trait than juking guys out. Just think about it if a RB slips through the tackler he’s already 4 yards past the defender where a RB jukes in the same time frame is not past the defender and didn’t advance the ball at all he still has to beat the defender to the edge and other defenders trailing the play are more likely to bring him down.

Juking=flashy
Slipping through tackles=efficiency

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 am

jjleurquin wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:21 amSlipping through tackles is a better trait than juking guys out.
Slipping through tackles = defenders are getting their hands on you and you get away
Juking guys out = defenders can't even get their hands on you

I prefer the 2nd one. If someone can't even touch you, how can they tackle you?

That said, RBs can make their living either way. Barry Sanders was the most elusive RB of all time. Derrick Henry is too big to bring down and destroys defenses late in games. As long as players can play within their skillset on a team that gives them the creativity to do so, said player will be a success.

IMO the real question is: Can Jacksonville put Etienne in a position to succeed and use his talents to the fullest? That I don't know.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 am

Sriracha wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:09 am

Good Luck!
I was referring more to the forced missed tackle "stat" that you left out. I acknowledge YAC is yards after first contact, but even that can be misleading. If an RB breaks one weak arm tackle behind the line of scrimmage then runs 80 yards untouched they get over 80 yds of YAC. But does that show they are a good between the tackles runner? or even a good tackle-breaker? I wouldn't go there. Etienne is an explosive open field runner with burst and speed, which lends itself to a lot of long runs, especially in that offense. He should have a good to great YAC even if he isn't good at tackle breaking.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Wed May 26, 2021 11:58 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 am
jjleurquin wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:21 amSlipping through tackles is a better trait than juking guys out.
Slipping through tackles = defenders are getting their hands on you and you get away
Juking guys out = defenders can't even get their hands on you

I prefer the 2nd one. If someone can't even touch you, how can they tackle you?

That said, RBs can make their living either way. Barry Sanders was the most elusive RB of all time. Derrick Henry is too big to bring down and destroys defenses late in games. As long as players can play within their skillset on a team that gives them the creativity to do so, said player will be a success.

IMO the real question is: Can Jacksonville put Etienne in a position to succeed and use his talents to the fullest? That I don't know.
This is what I mean juking is flashy, it looks good on the eyes. He didn’t even touch him. In reality though most of the time jukes are used to create separation and the RB then has to beat the defender to the edge where if you run so fast and have the contact balance to slip off the tackler your not stopping your momentum at all and you’ve also likely taken that defender out of the play where juking you still have to deal with that defender and like I mentioned trailers are more likely to catch you from behind when you do this.

In the NFL every little bit of time counts and that time saved slipping off the tackle is a bigger advantage than being able to juke someone out. There’s a reason why Eno Benjamin went round 7 last year. Dude was excellent at juking guys out.