AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

Postby Sriracha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 am
Sriracha wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:00 am Is it possible DJM is in the doghouse because he's struggling to learn the offense? This often times causes an uncharacteristic jump in drop rate and his 6 drops lead the NFL; his drop rate has jumped from 2.2% in 2019 to 10.2%, #13 in the NFL.
Cooper, Edelman, and Gallup have all struggled with drops yet still get targets. When you're good (and open) you get looks. DJM isnt even getting looked at when I see clips. He is rarely even in Teddy's read progression.

And how many times have we seen that coaches rarely favor the incumbent? Often times they bring in their own guys. And also Robbie is Rhule's guy too. Rhule coached Robbie in college.
Cooper led the NFL in drop rate in 2017 (when he was not targeted) and he was completely phased out of the gameplan. I think it's really dependent on the QB/HC how much drops will affect your target share. One series that really sticks out to me was CAR vs ATL where DJM hit a big play towards the end of the game and then saw 3 straight targets from Bridgewater.. after which he promptly dropped a perfect pass and Bridgewater never looked his way till the end of the game.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 pm

Bot101 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:22 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm
Bot101 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Only if you box score scout.
Are you not concerned that he's now been passed by Robby Anderson, and Curtis Samuel?

As a DJ Moore owner... I'm kind of freaking out
Whats happening to Moore has nothing to do with his play. I have talked with several people and shared/received screenshots and clips and DJM frequently gets WIDE open. Yet, either by scheme or he and Teddy have a beef, hes not getting looks. The screenshots are almost weekly that are shown to me at this point. This week I could finally see the frustration in his body language. I honestly believe it has something to do with DJM spurning Rhule during college. Ive brought up the narrative before. At this point, I think the best thing for Moore is to be traded away.
This is what we call Take Lock. Its better to open your mind up to the idea that perhaps last year was kind of fluky for DJ Moore and he really isnt as good as his preseason ADP suggested, then to throw conspiracy theories around. And im pretty sure the AJ vs DJM debate has been settled by now.

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 pm im pretty sure the AJ vs DJM debate has been settled by now.
You'd think so based on the results from more than half the season having been played in addition to what these guys have done in their respective previous seasons, but that this thread is still going means some folks still haven't come around.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:02 pm

JJRules wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 pm im pretty sure the AJ vs DJM debate has been settled by now.
You'd think so based on the results from more than half the season having been played in addition to what these guys have done in their respective previous seasons, but that this thread is still going means some folks still haven't come around.
I believe the contents of this thread have changed to: What's wrong with DJ Moore :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:02 pm
JJRules wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm
I believe the contents of this thread have changed to: What's wrong with DJ Moore :lol:
Bingo lol even the DJM supporters weren't saying he was better than AJB at any point in this thread (I think). They both are very talented, so now the question is wtf is going on in CAR? Oh and some DK vs AJB sprinkled in

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 pm

I am not sure we can just disregard the Rhule grudge angle. Robbie played for him in college and is being featured. DJM spurred him. Rhule has a 10 year deal I believe, he has the power to pick his team. Not saying it is for sure, but there is smoke
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:33 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 pm I am not sure we can just disregard the Rhule grudge angle. Robbie played for him in college and is being featured. DJM spurred him. Rhule has a 10 year deal I believe, he has the power to pick his team. Not saying it is for sure, but there is smoke
So long as you're invoking Occam's Razor, though... why do you even need to leap that far to "multiple year grudge over college recruitment spurning" that doesn't materially affect or reflect either party in their current circumstance? They're both multiple years removed from it, and this is the Pros.

No Professional NFL Head Coach wants to lose. All NFL Head Coaches (except for Adam Gase) want to win. Rhule has determined, through his coaching prowess and *infinite wisdom* - that the most appropriate WR1 on his roster to funnel yardage and targets to is Robbie Anderson. There's no need to go as far as to say "he wants to spite DJ Moore thanks to years old history" when it's clearly just as simple as "Matt Rhule has determined Robbie Anderson is better for the lead role than DJ Moore".

So at that junction, you're left with two possibilities:
1. Robbie Anderson is better than DJ Moore - at least as far as this current Panthers team, or
2. Matt Rhule can't evaluate his own receivers and is bad at coaching

Frankly, with Robbie Anderson currently 4th in receiving yardage through 9 games (and 3rd amongst WR's) - it's kinda hard to argue that Rhule is "wrong".

(Also, DJ Moore is only 110 yards behind Robbie on just over half the targets and is currently WR12 in receiving yards - so it's also not like the sky is falling)

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:33 pm
murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 pm I am not sure we can just disregard the Rhule grudge angle. Robbie played for him in college and is being featured. DJM spurred him. Rhule has a 10 year deal I believe, he has the power to pick his team. Not saying it is for sure, but there is smoke
So long as you're invoking Occam's Razor, though... why do you even need to leap that far to "multiple year grudge over college recruitment spurning" that doesn't materially affect or reflect either party in their current circumstance? They're both multiple years removed from it, and this is the Pros.

No Professional NFL Head Coach wants to lose. All NFL Head Coaches (except for Adam Gase) want to win. Rhule has determined, through his coaching prowess and *infinite wisdom* - that the most appropriate WR1 on his roster to funnel yardage and targets to is Robbie Anderson. There's no need to go as far as to say "he wants to spite DJ Moore thanks to years old history" when it's clearly just as simple as "Matt Rhule has determined Robbie Anderson is better for the lead role than DJ Moore".

1. Robbie Anderson is better than DJ Moore - at least as far as this current Panthers team, or

Frankly, with Robbie Anderson currently 4th in receiving yardage through 9 games (and 3rd amongst WR's) - it's kinda hard to argue that Rhule is "wrong".

(Also, DJ Moore is only 110 yards behind Robbie on just over half the targets and is currently WR12 in receiving yards - so it's also not like the sky is falling)

I ran across a couple very interesting pieces today.

1) When the country went into lockdown, Teddy and Robbie were both in Miami and worked out together all off season. Explains the chemistry.

2) They switched DJs and Robbie's expected roles. DJ has been used primarily on vertical routes as opposed to the slants and intermediate routes he mostly ran in 2019 and those routes are being given to Robbie. And his yards per catch reflect that. This just baffles me, because this plays into the weakness of Moore. Moore is a short to intermediate route runner who has elite ability with the ball in his hands. He is also great when used as a runner, which he has zero rushes this season. The articles I read also mention that in multiple games DJ is streaking down the sideline for a would be TD and Teddy never even looks his direction.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Fantasy Freak had some great points about what’s going on, especially on that TNF game a couple of weeks ago. Robby Anderson is getting the first looks(could be for several reasons) or is the first read and I haven’t seen much during the games that would say that Moore is struggling and personally, I think Moore is quite a bit more talented than R.Anderson but that’s the way they seem to want to run their offense. I watched the entire game that night and have seen parts of other games and there were several times that night that Moore was wide open underneath and was never looked at, they finally gave him some targets at the end of the game and he ends up with just 2-55 against a crappy Falcons defense, so who knows? It seems like Rhule just wanted R.Anderson and had planned on featuring all along.

As far as AJB and Moore goes, I’d go AJB but it’s not really a knock on Moore, as much as it’s a combination of AJB’s talent and it looks like his situation is way better than Moore’s currently.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:44 am

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:45 pm As far as AJB and Moore goes, I’d go AJB but it’s not really a knock on Moore, as much as it’s a combination of AJB’s talent and it looks like his situation is way better than Moore’s currently.
This is what baffles me....guys can be talented no matter where they were drafted. A lot of times its about opportunity. This conversation about AJB vs DJM has drawn out because people refuse to acknowledge the differences in their situation.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am

I guess my intent didn't come through as I intended. I am not knocking Robbie, nor am I saying Rhule "picked" wrong. I am just saying taht I truly feel once he/they signed Robbie, Rhule wanted him to beat out DJM. I think he did give Robbie a leg up in the competition and Robbie took advantage.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am

murphysxm wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am

I guess my intent didn't come through as I intended. I am not knocking Robbie, nor am I saying Rhule "picked" wrong. I am just saying that I truly feel once he/they signed Robbie, Rhule wanted him to beat out DJM. I think he did give Robbie a leg up in the competition and Robbie took advantage.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:05 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:48 pm The gap widens.
I guess, in that case, the gap closed a bit after this week

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:05 pm
The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:48 pm The gap widens.

Moore 5 games under 10 points, and 5 games over 10 points (13.6 ppg)
AJB 2 games under and 5 games over (17.1 ppg)

Give me the greater consistency, and higher ceiling. Like I said, for DJM to compensate what he lacks as a TD threat, he would have to consistently increase his reception and/or yardage total.

1/10 games over 100 yards, 3/10 games 5+ catches, 3/10 games with a TD
in comparison to
2/7 games over 100 yards, 4/7 games 5+ catches, and 5/7 games with a TD

It seems insignificant, but it adds up over time.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Moore 5 games under 10 points, and 5 games over 10 points (13.6 ppg)
AJB 2 games under and 5 games over (17.1 ppg)

Give me the greater consistency, and higher ceiling. Like I said, for DJM to compensate what he lacks as a TD threat, he would have to consistently increase his reception and/or yardage total.

1/10 games over 100 yards, 3/10 games 5+ catches, 3/10 games with a TD
in comparison to
2/7 games over 100 yards, 4/7 games 5+ catches, and 5/7 games with a TD

It seems insignificant, but it adds up over time.
Oh, so now you want to talk about all season and not 1 week, got it.