Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:42 pm

mgscott wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 am
TheNuts wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 am I don't remember hearing all this monty hate last year. I never liked him at all. It was beyond dumb to invest the pick the Bears did for a JAG running back at best. At least take a shot on a guy with actual athleticism.

Didn't everyone base their love on his record breaking broken tackle stats that pff gave him? How's that working out in the NFL? The guy has such a slow juke. He wastes so much body movement avoiding tacklers that it makes the move look cool when he actually pulls it off. The problem is he is so damn slow. How did i see this coming and Ryan Pace didn't?
This.

The Bears spent their first pick on him, 2nd rounder, since they had traded their 1st rounder that year. I was also baffled by the love he got last year and think the only current believers are those that got stuck drafting him and don't want to admit the mistake yet. His "jukes and missed tackles" only sets himself up for big hits by the next defender because he is too slow to get out of those moves and make positive yardage from them. He was an easy pass for me last year and is a do not touch this year in any trades.
Third round, actually. They could've kept Howard and waited a year, then picked a better version of Monty (Zack Moss) this year at almost the exact same spot lol. Bears made some weird draft choices last year.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:54 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 pm
TheNuts wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 am

Didn't everyone base their love on his record breaking broken tackle stats that pff gave him? How's that working out in the NFL?
I remember the Seahawks quoting PFF's yards after contact for Penny. Imagine if the Seahawks had taken Chubb instead. He was the exact type of back they would love, but that PFF stat made it look like Penny was a beast to bring down. Unfortunately, if a LB touches your arm, and you run for an 80 yard touchdown untouched after that, all those yards after the LB barely touched you count as yards after contact. The word "contact" is a pretty loose term.
I do think Penny is getting the shaft a bit in Sea. He is very efficient with his touches so far. In fact, he was starting to show he should get the most touches when he unfortunately tore his acl
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Blueboy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:42 pm
mgscott wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 am
TheNuts wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 am I don't remember hearing all this monty hate last year. I never liked him at all. It was beyond dumb to invest the pick the Bears did for a JAG running back at best. At least take a shot on a guy with actual athleticism.

Didn't everyone base their love on his record breaking broken tackle stats that pff gave him? How's that working out in the NFL? The guy has such a slow juke. He wastes so much body movement avoiding tacklers that it makes the move look cool when he actually pulls it off. The problem is he is so damn slow. How did i see this coming and Ryan Pace didn't?
This.

The Bears spent their first pick on him, 2nd rounder, since they had traded their 1st rounder that year. I was also baffled by the love he got last year and think the only current believers are those that got stuck drafting him and don't want to admit the mistake yet. His "jukes and missed tackles" only sets himself up for big hits by the next defender because he is too slow to get out of those moves and make positive yardage from them. He was an easy pass for me last year and is a do not touch this year in any trades.
Third round, actually. They could've kept Howard and waited a year, then picked a better version of Monty (Zack Moss) this year at almost the exact same spot lol. Bears made some weird draft choices last year.
Ryan Pace is completely clueless on offense during the draft. They pick a year to take the consensus best tight end when it's a weak year for tight ends. Typical Bears move
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Didn't everyone base their love on his record breaking broken tackle stats that pff gave him? How's that working out in the NFL?
I remember the Seahawks quoting PFF's yards after contact for Penny. Imagine if the Seahawks had taken Chubb instead. He was the exact type of back they would love, but that PFF stat made it look like Penny was a beast to bring down. Unfortunately, if a LB touches your arm, and you run for an 80 yard touchdown untouched after that, all those yards after the LB barely touched you count as yards after contact. The word "contact" is a pretty loose term.
Do you know that’s how they measure contact? Not being sarcastic or anything. It seems like a mystery to me how they measure it. If it’s as you say, it’s completely worthless, but I think having some rando trying to determine whether it was enough contact to justify “after contact” or not seems to create its own problems. This is my entire problem with PFF. I feel like they should provide videos with commentary as to how they’re grading a guy. It all just seems like opinions masked as stats.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:37 pm

This.

[/quote]

Blueboy wrote: ↑
[/quote]

Yep. Nice catch there. I knew he was their first pick and assumed it was the 2nd. That makes it even worse since they didn't have a 1st or 2nd and wasted their first pick on a JAG RB. I agree, they should have kept Howard or signed him to a longer deal. He wasn't going to get a big deal, so they could have gotten him for a minimal hit and had a much better RB for their team.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Montgomery doesn't have long-term staying power. His immediate value is volume fueled. His profile and efficiency were replacement level.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37 pm

Avoided him in rookie drafts and not much interest in him today. He could be better this year on volume but his burst is suspect. He plays too slow.

Has the look of a one contract player at this point. Not remotely close to Jacobs; Put down the drugs, they are not working.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:31 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Do you know that’s how they measure contact? Not being sarcastic or anything. It seems like a mystery to me how they measure it. If it’s as you say, it’s completely worthless, but I think having some rando trying to determine whether it was enough contact to justify “after contact” or not seems to create its own problems. This is my entire problem with PFF. I feel like they should provide videos with commentary as to how they’re grading a guy. It all just seems like opinions masked as stats.
From PFF: YARDS AFTER CONTACT

"Now, yards after contact (YCo) can come in many different forms. A runner who drags the first defender for several yards and a run with a broken tackle early that gains significant yardage in open space afterward are very different despite the numbers measuring the same thing."

I may have been exaggerating about the Linebacker literally just touching him, but a lot of broken tackles were ones the defender was not in an optimal position, and once that tackle was broken, Penny ran to daylight with his exceptional speed without another player really having a shot at him in some cases.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 am

I remember hearing all the love around here for his tackle breaking but when I watched his tape I came away with the impression that he broke so many tackles because he literally couldn't run past anyone. Context does help when looking through stats, hopefully he can slim down a touch and gain some burst in the offseason or his owner's will be saddled with an "ok I guess" back.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 am

You don't have to be an athletic freak to have fantasy impact. Look at Jordan Howard. As long as the bears stick with running Montgomery and don't keep inserting Cohen "just because" with no real plan, then he will be fine.

Nowhere near as fine as Jacobs though.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:00 am

johnnymozart wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 pm
I would still outright deny Jacobs for Monty straight up if it were offered. Tell me why I'm wrong!
Because even if you're not sold on Jacobs long-term, you could trade Montgomery for him and sell high on Jacobs. Theoretically speaking of course.

I'm not sure what's going to make Montgomery better than Jacobs going forward. Chicago has a mediocre offensive line and the Raiders do not. That could change, but who knows when it does. Until then, Jacobs is a RB1 and Montgomery is a RB2/high-flex.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

I don't view Jacobs as high as the consensus and think Montgomery has a ton of room to improve and will. Saying all that there is no scenario where I wouldn't prefer Jacobs on my roster and it is nonsense to consider otherwise.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:23 am

PR0v3 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:48 pm He’s like Lev Bell with zero burst to actually get through the hole. No power, no speed, he doesn’t do anything to earn more yeards than what is given.
Sounds like rookie year Bell...

(not saying Monty is Bell though).

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

UnsafeAtAnySpd wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:23 am
PR0v3 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:48 pm He’s like Lev Bell with zero burst to actually get through the hole. No power, no speed, he doesn’t do anything to earn more yeards than what is given.
Sounds like rookie year Bell...

(not saying Monty is Bell though).
Rookie year Bell was overweight. Once he slimmed down, he took off.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 am You don't have to be an athletic freak to have fantasy impact. Look at Jordan Howard. As long as the bears stick with running Montgomery and don't keep inserting Cohen "just because" with no real plan, then he will be fine.

Nowhere near as fine as Jacobs though.
Jordan Howard is such a good, instinctual running back. He doesn't have the athletic profile, but just plays the position so well. I don't see that with Monty. I see a low athletic RB who still tries jukes and moves that worked in Big 12 football, but not so much in the NFL. And no burst to breakaway when any of his moves do work.