Jalen Richard future value?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Jalen Richard future value?

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 am

I have an opportunity to trade for Jalen Richard as insurance for my RB core this year. But I’m very curious what people think of his long term potential in the league. He’s a restricted FA at the end of this season. And he has a tremendous opportunity to audition for a future role either for the Raiders or for another team should the Raiders let him get away.

What are people’s thoughts on him?
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jalen Richard future value?

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:33 am

He MIGHT end up a change of pace / receiving back elsewhere but I would not count on a heavy usage role.

I do not think he has much future value.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:48 am

Extremely minimal chance he has any long term potential. For every Arian Foster there are a thousand undrafted backs with no significant impact.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:23 pm

It could go either way, would just depend on which team he ends up on and how they use him.

He could give Woodhead/Sproles type of production somewhere.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm

It all depends on what he does from this point forward, he has been good in a limited role with the Raiders for a few years, and is a good receiver out of the backfield. This is his audition for his Raiders future, and I think he can stick somewhere else if he doesn't but it would be as a COP/3rd down RB, wherever he goes. He's a good play the rest of the year with the Raiders likely trailing most games, and Carr loving his check downs, but I would buy with a 1 year rental price in mind.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:39 pm

Analytically, he's one of the league's best pass-catching backs, and that's not a new development this season; it was true last season, too.

Hard to guess at his "future value", though. Like all satellite-backs, the right team fit is essential for him to become a difference-maker in fantasy.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:18 am

I'd sell him after a big game.
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:25 pm

His price is still borderline free right now in smaller leagues, and at that price, I'd hold him through the offseason and see where he ends up. Ditto Corey Grant... guys with obvious grade-well skills as receivers on terrible offenses who would shred if put on the right team (ie. IND, NE, KC, SF, etc)

They'll probably never be featured guys, but backs like Ekeler and Tarik Cohen are proving that there is good floor and ceiling value for pass catchers in good systems.
Passive Aggressive signatures, huh. :thumbup:

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I know it doesn't matter much what Gruden says. But, this is an interesting interview with Gruden talking about Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2UCcQfaZ0
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:45 pm

So much matters for COP backs in terms of predicting long-term value. Two things: Game script and the skill set of the RB in front of them.

Richard is solid at what he does, but long-term I don't know if any team is really going to priortize getting him the ball. But, this season is the perfect storm for him because the Raiders are playing from behind a lot and they're not looking to Doug Martin in the passing game. He's a solid RB2/FLEX ROS in PPR. Value wise, I see him always hovering around 2nd/3rd round value.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Sorry to hijack a little.

How does everyone feel about Jalen vs nayhiem hines?

I recently cut hines for Richard's because of bye week trouble and was planning on grabbing Hines right back next week but now I'm not so sure.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:11 pm Sorry to hijack a little.

How does everyone feel about Jalen vs nayhiem hines?

I recently cut hines for Richard's because of bye week trouble and was planning on grabbing Hines right back next week but now I'm not so sure.
I'd rather have Hines long term.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Richard is a restricted free-agent next year, and thus has a near-term chance to land in an improved fantasy situation, or prompt Oakland to invest enough in him financially to make him a legit focal point on offense (e.g. Oakland fans like to say Richard is Gruden's new Charlie Garner). Hines is stuck with Frank Reich and his established preference for 3+ man RB platoons until 2021 unless Indy cuts or trades him.

They're both situation dependent satellite-backs, so give me the one that's at least a near-term lottery ticket to become another Danny Woodhead with the Chargers, Sproles with the Saints, etc. Right now, that's Richard. Hines is in purgatory for the next 3.5 years.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:21 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 pm Richard is a restricted free-agent next year, and thus has better near-term odds to land in an improved fantasy situation, or prompt Oakland to invest enough in him financially to make him a legit focal point on offense (e.g. Oakland fans like to say Richard is Gruden's new Charlie Garner). Hines is stuck with Frank Reich and his established preference for 3+ man RB platoons until 2021 unless Indy cuts or trades him.

They're both situation dependent satellite-backs, so give me the one that's at least a near-term lottery ticket to become another Danny Woodhead with the Chargers, Sproles with the Saints, etc. Right now, that's Richard. Hines is in RB3 ceiling purgatory for the next 3.5 years.
The only back I'd want to own in indy is Mack. I think Richard is the better all round back, too.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 pm (e.g. Oakland fans like to say Richard is Gruden's new Charlie Garner).
...we do?