Chris Johnson to Hold Out?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm

brice587 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
brice587 wrote: No, but they could cut him, which happens every year to underperforming players.
They sure can, but he gets to keep his signing bonus which is usually HUGE...
When someone gets fired from any job the company doesn't usually come after them for what they've already been paid.
True but this is different. The NFL's cap is structured so that teams are almost forced to give players big money upfront. So if CJ gets his money and then underperforms then what?

brice587
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby brice587 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Steelersfan wrote: True but this is different. The NFL's cap is structured so that teams are almost forced to give players big money upfront. So if CJ gets his money and then underperforms then what?
I believe it was the owners who wanted the cap in the first place. I don't feel bad for them. They caused this situation.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Re: Chris Johnson to Hold Out?

Postby kris_kapsner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:46 am

Rumors are that the sides might be coming together a bit. I hope that happens.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

princevincexoxo

Re:

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 am

brice587 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote: True but this is different. The NFL's cap is structured so that teams are almost forced to give players big money upfront. So if CJ gets his money and then underperforms then what?
I believe it was the owners who wanted the cap in the first place. I don't feel bad for them. They caused this situation.
No greedy people, and entertainment hungry fans are what cause this.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Re: Re:

Postby Salty Dawg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
brice587 wrote:
l

Greed

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Re: Re:

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
brice587 wrote:
Um, isn't this the American way?

I think the salary cap is a fantastic thing and I certainly hope it comes back with the next CBA.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am

kris_kapsner wrote:Rumors are that the sides might be coming together a bit. I hope that happens.

I think they will! 4.24 will learn that he will not get Peyton Manning money(soon to be the highest paid player) and the Titans will have to agree that they will have to pay him significantly more than right now.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Report: CJ2K works out at Titans' facility

Johnson
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that Chris Johnson was spotted "twice" working out at the Titans' practice facility this week.
PFT admits that the meaning of C.J.'s presence "isn't currently known," but it's a potential sign that he's slowly backing off his holdout threats. Johnson isn't going to get the raise he wants, so he'll likely report to the Titans permanently before the August 10 deadline for earning an accrued season. Jul. 1 - 4:56 pm et
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

haydn239
Captain
Captain

Postby haydn239 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 pm

This is turning into the Anquan Boldin ordeal!
Twitter @haydn239

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Well I just drafted CJ 2nd overall in the DLF keeper league so I hope he doesn't end up holding out... :D This is the first time I have ever owned him in a league so it would be my luck that he will though... :o

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 pm

The Nashville Tennessean has confirmed a Profootballtalk.com report that Chris Johnson did, indeed, work out at the Titans' facility this week.

Why Johnson would lie about it is unclear. The report from Titans beat writer Jim Wyatt cites multiple sources. Coach Jeff Fisher, currently on vacation, did not return to meet with Johnson. This was believed to be C.J.'s first trip to Baptist Park since the end of the 2009 season. "I said I didn't work out there," he reiterated to Wyatt late Thursday. "I don't owe you or Tennessee no explanation. I don't want to talk about Titans or contract period."
Rotoworld

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Friction between Johnson, Titans diminishing?

Johnson
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the friction between Chris Johnson and the Titans is beginning to "thaw," and predicts that Johnson will report to training camp in a timely manner.
"I hear calmness on both sides," says Lombardi, adding that "everything is moving in (the) direction" of Tennessee and C.J. reaching some form of restructured contract before August. This seems to mesh with Johnson's recent patronage of the Titans' practice facility. Pick CJ2K confidently in fantasy drafts. Jul. 5 - 9:32 pm et
Source: NFL.com
As expected... He wount be the highest paid offensive player, but he also dont has to play for less than backup kind of money...

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Report: Johnson, Titans working on compromise

Johnson
The Titans and the player rep for Chris Johnson are reportedly working on a contract compromise that would ideally get the star tailback to report to training camp on time.
The Titans certainly aren't prepared to meet Johnson's expectations of $30 million in guarantees, but they're at least trying to get creative with a "short-term solution" that would give him a "smaller bump in pay." They could convert $2.5M in already earned escalators for 2012 to a signing bonus this summer. It's a way to reward a extraordinary player without setting a precedent for ripping up contracts after just two seasons. Jul. 6 - 8:24 pm et
Source: Nashville Tennessean