Thanks for the input....

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Thanks for the input....

Postby pntgvn2399 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok so I am in the 35th round out of 50 in an IDP/PPR 12 team league.. Starting requirements.. 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX however cannot start more than 2 RBs or 2 TEs.. D would be 1 DT, 2 DE, 4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S.. Here is my team as it stands right now..
QB- McNabb, Henne, Tebow
RB- Rice, Stewart, Hardesty, M Bush, Lynch
WR- Crabtree, Smith (Car), D Thomas (R), Knox, M Williams (R), Jones GB, Edelman, Doucet, Heyward-Bey, Shipley, A Edwards (R)
TE- Finely, Gates
DT-
DE- Tuck, Maybin (for now at DE), Hayes
LB- McClain (R), D Jackson, Bradley, Session, D Johnson
CB- Winfield, Wilson (R), Powers
S- Bell, Bethea, Dawkins

Still too early for a DT in my opinon and I will be taking a K with the last pick.. It would be nice to have a vet as a backup with my extremely young WR's so the question is would you rather have Chambers or Owens? I am leaning towards Chambers but wanted to get your input.. Backup LB's will my next area of concern and I am staying put at CB and S pretty much although I may grab one more at one position in the last 3 rounds as a flier but I like to pick those positions off the wire..
Last edited by pntgvn2399 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Need some startup draft advice!!

Postby lemmi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:11 am

If you wanted to go WR I'd rate D. Williams above all the other ones listed.
Not bad value at 31 either. You've got some good young WR talent already, although you can never have enough. Right?

With the ability to start 4 LB's, I might look at taking one here.

I'd lean towards one of the rookie LB's that you have there.
My order of preference would be:
Butler - SD traded up into the 3rd for him. Seems like he's the ILB of the future and they'll look to build around him.
Lee - Brookings heir apparent. Smart LB that will make plays. He was a tackle machine at PSU and no reason that should change.
I actually got both of them in a recent start up I did in the 26th (Lee) and 30th (Butler), so I think you're getting good value there. I jumped on Lee first cause there was a guy in the league that was a big Dallas fan scooping up all the Cowboys. I liked him a PSU and was a guy I was targeting heading into the draft.
Dillard - probably my least favorite of these prospects. In fact, I'd rate Angerer from Indy over him.

Any chance Daryl Washington is still available - probably not but just thought I'd check. I'd put him over all the others as he'll likely be the starter in Dansby's old spot.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 am

I don't follow IDP so I have now idea how to advise you there. Given your starting requirements, I'd have to suggest to keep loading up on WRs. Right now you have left yourself in a position of having to start RB, 2 WRs, TE with an RB and TE in the flex. Your backups after that are both rookies in Hardesty and Thomas - not an enviable position. It looks like you may have started adding IDPs early on and missed adding strong backups at your offensive positions. Perhaps someone like Mason is still out there at WR?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:54 am

Butler or Whitehurst. My preference would be LB as you are thin in a league that starts 4.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 am

I don't think I'd nab any more Dbacks until free agency, or maybe the 49th round.

I think Cooper at LB is a great value, but I think you might be able to get him next round.

Right now, I'd grab Tebow. You aren't going to find much for starting WRs at this point, and can wait a round or two to grab a Lance Moore or Harry Douglas for depth with upside potential.

With Tebow, you get a potential future starting QB who will offer great trade value if Henne and McNabb are enough for you, or makes McNabb expendable for an inseason trade.

Good Luck!

-oo-

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 am

Not sure where you host your league, but with the Bills switch to a 3-4, Aaron Maybin will be playing OLB and is listed as a LB on most sites. So you might want to look into drafting another DE. Not sure if guys like Derrick Harvey, Cliff Avril or William Hayes are still available, but I'd suggest getting another DE soon.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

keelsatx
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby keelsatx » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

I don't do IDP, but of the offensive players there, I'd go with Chambers. Here me out...

You already have a ton of young/upside WRs. Many of which may not be producing at the beginning of the season or maybe even by the end of this season. Hell, maybe never. But that's the risk in going with that type of player. You need someone to produce right out of the gates Week 1, and Chambers should be that guy. I'm surprised everyone is so down on him this offseason. From the time he signed on with the Chiefs til the end of the season (week 9-17), he was the 19th best fantasy WR. His overall stats for the season are a lot lower cause he wasn't doing jack with SD. But looking at what he did with the Chiefs, there's no reason to expect that to not continue Week 1 of 2010. Here are some names he outproduced during that stretch of the last half of the season:
Jennings, TO, V Jackson, Driver, Ochocinco, MSW, Housh, Harvin, Colston, CRABTREE, Maclin, Nicks
He's obviously talented, and just needed a new situation away from SD. He'll be 32 by the start of the season. But I think he'll outproduce every WR on your roster other than Smith and Crabtree (and maybe Knox) in 2010.
P Manning
Mendenhall, Thomas, Moreno, Slaton, Maroney
Fitz, R Moss, Meachem, TO, Chambers, Avery, James Jones
Gates, Winslow, Z Miller

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 am

I do not know enough about IDPs to weigh LBs into the equation, but out of the QBs and WRs, I would go with Tebow. He is going to get his chance down the road, and I think he actually has a good chance of being successful in the NFL.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:08 am

cowboys85 wrote:Not sure where you host your league, but with the Bills switch to a 3-4, Aaron Maybin will be playing OLB and is listed as a LB on most sites. So you might want to look into drafting another DE. Not sure if guys like Derrick Harvey, Cliff Avril or William Hayes are still available, but I'd suggest getting another DE soon.
I know.. We host it on Myfantasyleague like pretty much every other person on here I believe.. The difference is we have our choice of 4 sites to look at the depth charts and if a player is listed at a different position in any formation 3-4, 4-3 we can use that player there.. Right now on ESPN they have Buffalo listed with both a 4-3 and a 3-4 and under the 4-3 Maybin is listed as a DE.. So right now he can be used there, however I know this can change before the season.. I am not head over heels in love with any DE out there right now and can wait and get a guy later that is why I did not list them..

Skip... I waited until round 9 to grab my 1st IDP which is actually pretty late being some of them started to go much earlier than that, I built my depth on youth with upside that may be what is throwing you off.. Guys like Thomas, Hardesty, and Knox were all drafted before I took my 1st IDP, and I was actually the last person to take an IDP.. This league is high on IDP's so you need to get some good ones in there, so I grabbed my main ones off and on.. Was going WR, WR with my close to back to back picks then the next round would go Best IDP and Best Offensive guy available.. Has worked pretty well so far..

I am just not that sold on Tebow, I know he will get his shot but I really dont think he can do anything with it. Work ethic and character are great for leaders however in the NFL you have to have the ability to play QB and I think Tebow lacks that. However at this point maybe he is worth a shot..
12 Team PPR IDP
DT- Jernigan

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
DT- Joseph, Donald
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

cowboys85 wrote:Not sure where you host your league, but with the Bills switch to a 3-4, Aaron Maybin will be playing OLB and is listed as a LB on most sites. So you might want to look into drafting another DE. Not sure if guys like Derrick Harvey, Cliff Avril or William Hayes are still available, but I'd suggest getting another DE soon.
Yea... even if you are using a host that doesn't keep up to date and he is a DE this year, those sites will likely catch up next year and he'll be a LB.

If I were you I'd pretty much stop adding WR's at thsi point, although that looks like it's going to be your weak spot. Taking more project WR's at this point to try and get lukcy with a WR is just going to make you weak at another position. I'd go best DE or Cooper.

Dillard is a high upside and high risk LB you should be able to get later if you want him. The Giants hope he's going to be a 3-down LB, which would give him huge value. However, he's probably just as likely to be a three down LB as to never win a starting job.

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 am

Took Tebow.. Why not at this point, hate myself for picking him haha.. Told myself I would NEVER draft him and I ended up doing it.. Thanks for the input guys..
12 Team PPR IDP
DT- Jernigan

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
DT- Joseph, Donald
CB- Jospeh, Verner

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 am

pntgvn2399 wrote:Took Tebow.. Why not at this point, hate myself for picking him haha.. Told myself I would NEVER draft him and I ended up doing it.. Thanks for the input guys..

If your fortunate enough to spend 5 minutes or 20 minutes around Tim Tebow, your life is better for it!!!

:thumbup:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:46 am

pntgvn2399 wrote:Took Tebow.. Why not at this point, hate myself for picking him haha.. Told myself I would NEVER draft him and I ended up doing it.. Thanks for the input guys..
Don't sweat it - at this point in the draft, you got a very marketable player that you might be able trade for a package of WR/DL/LB or some such combo down the line. I will hate to pick him myself too, but you have to set those feelings aside sometime and make the quality pick.

-oo-