Slaton medically cleared for camp

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Slaton medically cleared for camp

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Steve Slaton (neck surgery) indicated on Twitter Monday that he's been medically cleared for training camp.

"I'm back," Slaton tweeted. "Thank you lord for watching over me and helping me heal fast and correctly." While the Texans haven't issued an update on Slaton's medical check, this is a big hurdle for the third-year tailback. Slaton will be an injury risk going forward after cervical neck fusion surgery, so he'll be worth keeping a close eye on while facing contact in camp. If healthy, he'll likely be limited to third-down work behind Arian Foster and Ben Tate.
Rotoworld

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Re: Slaton medically cleared for camp

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm

He's back until his fused vertabrae gets blasted by a 250 lb MLB!

haydn239
Captain
Captain

Postby haydn239 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm

hot nikkels wrote:He's back until his fused vertabrae gets blasted by a 250 lb MLB!
He's to elusive for that! He will fumble the ball before he takes a clean hit! :wink:
Twitter @haydn239

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 pm

hot nikkels wrote:He's back until his fused vertabrae gets blasted by a 250 lb MLB!
Harsh. :)

I wish him the best although I may never draft him anyplace this summer or land him via any type trade.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 am

So the starting RB last season in Houston is reportedly 100% healthy and is reduced to being behind Foster and Tate? Hmmm... While I don't expect Slaton to be the RB he was during his rookie season, his skill set makes him a nice complimentary RB in the mold of what Reggie Bush brings to the Saints. I'd feel pretty secure thinking that the starting job is going to be fought out by the other two but the loser in that battle ending up with the fewest touches of the three.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm

If I could go out on a limb here regarding Slaton...

1. Slaton will see little to no goal-line work.
2. Slaton will be 2nd on the team in carries, at best.
3. Slaton will not play more than 12 games.
4. Slaton's fused neck won't cure his fumbling problems - 7 fumbles in 175 touches isn't good.
5. Slaton's 2010 numbers might be similar to what he posted in 2009 with a bump in yards-per-carry and rushing yards. <-----not very valuable.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Misfit74 wrote:If I could go out on a limb here regarding Slaton...

4. Slaton's fused neck won't cure his fumbling problems - 7 fumbles in 175 touches isn't good.
5. Slaton's 2010 numbers might be similar to what he posted in 2009 with a bump in yards-per-carry and rushing yards. <-----not very valuable.
SHHHHH!!!! We need people to still believe in him so that they can take him way too high in our upcoming startup draft :lol:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Shawn wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:If I could go out on a limb here regarding Slaton...

SHHHHH!!!! We need people to still believe in him so that they can take him way too high in our upcoming startup draft :lol:
DOH!!!!

Maybe I'm just trying to secretly drive down his value... :twisted:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm

skip wrote:So the starting RB last season in Houston is reportedly 100% healthy and is reduced to being behind Foster and Tate? Hmmm... While I don't expect Slaton to be the RB he was during his rookie season, his skill set makes him a nice complimentary RB in the mold of what Reggie Bush brings to the Saints. I'd feel pretty secure thinking that the starting job is going to be fought out by the other two but the loser in that battle ending up with the fewest touches of the three.
I can't roll with that on a week to week basis. He'll have a nice game and then you won't see him for a while. He scored double digit pts in my league 5 times. 2 times scored 10, 1 time 15, and 2 times over 20.

Labeling him Reggie Bush just put a stake in his fantasy heart. And my league is PPR and awards return yards too.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:59 pm

I wasn't a huge Slaton fan at this time last year and thought he was over drafted. But, I'd take a shot on him late in drafts if people are avoiding him like the plague. I don't think he'll end up the starter. But, like Skip said, he makes a decent complimentary RB. He'll be a decent fill in player for larger PPR leagues.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 am

hot nikkels wrote:
skip wrote:So the starting RB last season in Houston is reportedly 100% healthy and is reduced to being behind Foster and Tate? Hmmm... While I don't expect Slaton to be the RB he was during his rookie season, his skill set makes him a nice complimentary RB in the mold of what Reggie Bush brings to the Saints. I'd feel pretty secure thinking that the starting job is going to be fought out by the other two but the loser in that battle ending up with the fewest touches of the three.
I can't roll with that on a week to week basis. He'll have a nice game and then you won't see him for a while. He scored double digit pts in my league 5 times. 2 times scored 10, 1 time 15, and 2 times over 20.

Labeling him Reggie Bush just put a stake in his fantasy heart. And my league is PPR and awards return yards too.
Interesting that your roster sports Percy Harvin then...seeing as he also was supposed to be like Reggie Bush for the Vikings. Looks like someone is a bit hypocritical here (or already desperately trying to sell off Harvin).

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 am

skip wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:

Interesting that your roster sports Percy Harvin then...seeing as he also was supposed to be like Reggie Bush for the Vikings. Looks like someone is a bit hypocritical here (or already desperately trying to sell off Harvin).
One's a role player RB and the other is a WR. It's the lack of production that kills Bush for me.

Harvin scored 10 or more pts in 10 weeks averaging 17 pts in those weeks. That's more then a bye week fill in. YOU said Harvin is SUPPOSED to be used like Reggie bush. Yeah if harvin was a RB then that comparison might be close, but he's not. I don't see how I'm being hypocritical here, please explain. Reggie bush as a bye week fill in doesn't make me excited. Harvin however does because he's used in a manner that will get him FF pts more consistantly.

I'm not trying to sell Harvin, but I would for the right price. 8-) Maybe you're a Bush owner trying to get rid of him!

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:02 am

hot nikkels wrote: One's a role player RB and the other is a WR. It's the lack of production that kills Bush for me.

Harvin scored 10 or more pts in 10 weeks averaging 17 pts in those weeks. That's more then a bye week fill in. YOU said Harvin is SUPPOSED to be used like Reggie bush. Yeah if harvin was a RB then that comparison might be close, but he's not. I don't see how I'm being hypocritical here, please explain. Reggie bush as a bye week fill in doesn't make me excited. Harvin however does because he's used in a manner that will get him FF pts more consistantly.

I'm not trying to sell Harvin, but I would for the right price. 8-) Maybe you're a Bush owner trying to get rid of him!
I don't own either player. Just saying that when Harvin was coming out everyone was falling all over him because they likened him to a Reggie Bush style player. One year later comparing someone to Reggie Bush has the completely opposite connotation which is interesting is all. I never made such a comparison. My concern with Harvin was that he was coming out of a college program that had a horrible history of producing NFL quality WRs.

As to this discussion, I think Slaton fits that role well for the Texans. Given the injury, he is unlikely to becoming a reliable runner out of the backfield but rather a greater contributor to the passing game.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:04 pm

skip wrote:
hot nikkels wrote: One's a role player RB and the other is a WR. It's the lack of production that kills Bush for me.

I don't own either player. Just saying that when Harvin was coming out everyone was falling all over him because they likened him to a Reggie Bush style player. One year later comparing someone to Reggie Bush has the completely opposite connotation which is interesting is all. I never made such a comparison. My concern with Harvin was that he was coming out of a college program that had a horrible history of producing NFL quality WRs.

As to this discussion, I think Slaton fits that role well for the Texans. Given the injury, he is unlikely to becoming a reliable runner out of the backfield but rather a greater contributor to the passing game.
At my 1.7 pick last year I took who I felt was the most explosive player in the draft and hoped he could become a good player. I think Reggie is a player maker, but in New Orleans I don't think you'll see him ever reach elite fantasy numbers.