Gus Johnson?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
JetsFan91
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Gus Johnson?

Postby JetsFan91 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:16 am

What is your guy's opinion on Gus Johnson?
12tm PPR, Start 1QB,1RB,1WR,1TE,4FLEX,

Team 1 (Start '15):
QB: Stafford, E. Manning,
RB: L. Bell, C. Hyde, Foster, R. Jennings, L. Blount, Ajayi, Riddick, DWilly
WR: AJ Green, E. Sanders, E. Decker, VJax, Mi. Floyd, M. Wallace, Wheaton, D. Smelter, C. Shorts, D. Street, Willie Snead
TE: J. Graham, K. Rudolph, G. Escobar, Tamme
2016 Picks: 2nd, 3rd (x2)

Team 2 (Start '15):
QB: Romo, Rivers, Fitzmagic
RB: CJ Anderson, Gio, JStew, D. Cobb, D. Freeman, C. Polk, R. Hillman, DWilly
WR: AJ Green, A. Cooper, G. Tate, Maclin, Funchess, Dorsett, Quick, Ty Montgomery, C. Shorts, B. Coleman
TE: Donnell, L. Green, V. Green, G. Escobar
2016 Picks: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th

cactusdave
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Gus Johnson?

Postby cactusdave » Sat May 16, 2015 8:24 am

First, his SPEED, 4.70 40 time at combine (slow), although he did improve it to 4.56 at his pro day that's concerning for a guy weighing only about 215 lbs (which is what he weighed in at the combines).

Second, he's a non FBS player from Stephen F. Austin who faced considerably weaker competition which, to his credit he dominated against. These first two flags are not death blows in my opinion, but the third one makes it hard for me to consider rostering him.

And that is his age. I think he's going to be 23 as a rookie. Life span for NFL RB's begins to expire on average when they turn 26 for the ones lucky enough to make it onto an NFL roster in the first place.

If that holds true for Johnson as well, he would be starting as a pro towards the bottom of some team's depth chart, battling his way up, which could easily and expectedly take a couple of seasons or more to accomplish by which time his future value in NFL RB lifetime years would be very, very limited compared to the average RB career in the NFL. Not to say it couldn't be done, but for me? I'd prefer to dream on younger RB's that can give me several more years to play with, assuming they do pan out.

Hope that helps
12 Team, Full PPR, 17 Man Rosters,
Lineups: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB or TE), 2 Flex (RB or WR or TE) for total of 8 starters.

QB: Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott
RB: Le'Veon Bell, CJ Anderson, Spencer Ware, Christine Michael, CJ Prosise.
WR: Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Allen Robinson, Tyler Lockett, Marvin Jones, Quincy Enunwa.
TE: Dwayne Allen, Virgil Green, Josh Hill, Maxx Williams.

JetsFan91
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby JetsFan91 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:31 am

it does. thanks. I just finished a startup and he was one of my last picks. lot of players have been picked clean, so its tough to find much of an upgrade, to be honest. I am willing to hold onto him for a bit, but I think I just saw him get cut by the Raiders, which isn't ideal for me. Probably drop him in the near future if he doesn't catch on somewhere else anytime soon.

Team 1 (Start '15):
WR: AJ Green, E. Sanders, E. Decker, VJax, Mi. Floyd, M. Wallace, Wheaton, D. Smelter, C. Shorts, D. Street, Willie Snead

Team 2 (Start '15):
WR: AJ Green, A. Cooper, G. Tate, Maclin, Funchess, Dorsett, Quick, Ty Montgomery, C. Shorts, B. Coleman

cactusdave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cactusdave » Sat May 16, 2015 10:11 am

I noticed you rostered Watson. Have you looked at Thomas Rawls in Seattle or Brandon Wegher in Carolina? Or are either of them even still available to you as UDFA's in your league. They both have the knucklehead syndrome going on that got them kicked out of major programs. But they also look they may have the chops to stick as NFL RB's and subsequently also maybe have fantasy relevance.

Brandon Wegher suffers also from the added age problem since he was out of the game altogether for several years. He's intriguing due to his size and speed. Anyway those are two deeper sleeper types I'm tracking that you might also consider taking a look at.

Happy Hunting
12 Team, Full PPR, 17 Man Rosters,
Lineups: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB or TE), 2 Flex (RB or WR or TE) for total of 8 starters.

QB: Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott
RB: Le'Veon Bell, CJ Anderson, Spencer Ware, Christine Michael, CJ Prosise.
WR: Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Allen Robinson, Tyler Lockett, Marvin Jones, Quincy Enunwa.
TE: Dwayne Allen, Virgil Green, Josh Hill, Maxx Williams.

JetsFan91
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby JetsFan91 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:52 am

thanks for the names. i will certainly look into them...

Team 1 (Start '15):

Team 2 (Start '15):