Trent Richardson is a beast, not a bust

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Barian Fostate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Trent Richardson is a beast, not a bust

Postby Barian Fostate » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 pm

From this article: http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/7/8/5 ... is-a-beast
Even more surprising, out of 42 "bad runs" that went for three yards or less in those five games, only four of those bad results were directly the fault of Richardson himself. That means that a staggering 90% of Trent Richardson’s so-called bad plays were caused by the abysmal run blocking that Indianapolis and Cleveland put in front of him last season. There were times while watching Oniel Cousins and Samson Satele get defeated over and over where I was almost in disbelief with just how impossibly hard it was for Richardson to find a well-blocked lane. If Satele was not beaten, then surely Gosder Cherilus had blown a block, or Anthony Castonzo, or Hugh Thornton, or one of Indy’s many tight ends who could not seal an edge if their lives depended on it (I’m looking at you, Coby Fleener) had. In short, I would argue that Richardson got his 2.9 yards per carry in spite of the blocking in front of him. Had a lesser talent been behind that line, it could have been much, much worse.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Trent Richardson is a beast, not a bust

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:40 pm

So...the OL decided to block for everyone else. But when Trent came in, they just collapsed into the backfield?

Right.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 pm

I guess I need some math help. Is Donald Brown a lesser talent and somehow 5 ypc is "much, much worse" then 2.9 ypc? Or does San Diego have super beast buried on their depth chart?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I am cautiously optimistic about Trent, and I only have him in one of 5 leagues.
Not sure what his deal was last year, but I am pretty confident that Donald Brown is not the better RB.

laxinx57
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby laxinx57 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Both of your concerns would be answered if you actually read the linked article.

Its a nice detailed and thoughtful article. I just drafted Trent with the thought in mind that I truly believe he will improve and can very well put up similar numbers to his rookie year. This article makes me think I made a good choice. Thanks for the link.
Last edited by laxinx57 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
League 1: 10 Team, 2 QB league 4th year

Rodgers, Cam
McCoy, Lacy, Bernard, Miller
Calvin, D Thomas, Green, Hopkins, Watkins, Hunter, Matthews
Gronk, Ertz

League 2: 12 Team PPR 2nd year

Kaepernick, Geno
Charles, Bell, Lacy, Vareen
D. Thomas, Hopkins, Benjamin, Cooper, J. Brown, C. Givens
Ebron

duckman92
Starter
Starter

Postby duckman92 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

laxinx57 wrote:Both of your concerns would be answered if you actually read the linked article.

Its a nice detailed and thoughtful article. I just draft Trent with the thought in mind that I truly believe he will improve and can very well put up similar numbers to his rookie year, and this article makes me think I made a good choice. Thanks for the link.
He had a 3.6 YPC his rookie year. I wouldn't want similar numbers.
14 Team IDP League 0.5 PPR 1 QB/ 2 RB/ 2 WR / 1 TE/ 1 R/W/T/ 2 LB/ 2 DL/ 2 DB/ 1 K
Dez Hoes Ain't Loyal
QB: A. Rodgers, C. Newton
RB: L. McCoy, D. Murray, L. Miller, F. Gore,B. Powell, C. Sims, M. Brown, R. Kelley
WR: AJ Green, K. Allen, D. Thomas, R. Cobb, K. White, B. Cooks, D. Funchess
TE: J. Reed, T. Kelce, D. Allen
K: J. Tucker
LB: V. Miller, J. Houston, P. Posluszny, C. Mosley
DL JJ Watt, C. Avril
DB T. Mathieu

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:09 pm

duckman92 wrote:
laxinx57 wrote:Both of your concerns would be answered if you actually read the linked article.

Its a nice detailed and thoughtful article. I just draft Trent with the thought in mind that I truly believe he will improve and can very well put up similar numbers to his rookie year, and this article makes me think I made a good choice. Thanks for the link.
Exactly, his TD's kept him startable, although he should get plenty of opportunity for that in Indy going forward. Isn't his biggest problem the fact he has zero acceleration? Like he breaks all these tackles, but always gets tackled by the second guy because it takes him so long to get going again. I remember reading that somewhere and then watched a video and it makes perfect sense.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Wow I'm a guy that likes pictures when I'm reading so I don't get confused, but man that article was a bit much. Basically what I got from it was the novel idea that if Trent had a better offensive line, he'd put up better stats. Oh and if we take away all of Brown's biggest carries, and pretend he received more carries then he did, but also pretend he got stuffed on said carries, then his YPC would have been just as bad as Trent's. So obviously the "Brown looked better theory" holds no water, lol.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm

lol. Dis Trent write that article himself?
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I do have faith he will bounce-back.

Is Trent a future top 5 back? Probably not.

However, he is better than his statistical line dictates last year.

He will be better this year.

laxinx57
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby laxinx57 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 pm

duckman92 wrote:

I dont really care if he gets 5 YPC for 1000 yards and 10 TDs or 3 YPC for 1000 yards and 10 TDs. They both translate to the same amount of fantasy and isnt that what this is about? Obviously a back that has a higher YPC is more ideal from a reality standpoint, but points are points in fantasy. Leveon Bell averaged 3.5 YPC and he's still widely regarded as a top 10 dynasty back, and Trent was the #2 RB after his rookie year and a 3.6 YPC.

I just dont believe that Trent is all of a sudden not talented, and offensive lines clearly play a large part in a RB's success. Matt Forte and Demarco Murray had great years with improved OL play. SF in recent years has had a very good OLs and Frank Gore continues to put up numbers. Same with the Bengals and Eagles recently. If the Colts OL improves, which should happen, Trents numbers should get better.
League 1: 10 Team, 2 QB league 4th year

Rodgers, Cam
McCoy, Lacy, Bernard, Miller
Calvin, D Thomas, Green, Hopkins, Watkins, Hunter, Matthews
Gronk, Ertz

League 2: 12 Team PPR 2nd year

Kaepernick, Geno
Charles, Bell, Lacy, Vareen
D. Thomas, Hopkins, Benjamin, Cooper, J. Brown, C. Givens
Ebron

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Someone else pointed out how Trent's success in Alabama was largely under a zone-blocking scheme and that a lot of his struggles can be attached to his difficulty in adapting to other schemes. Given that Indy is still a power running game team, I fully expect Trent to continue to put up terrible YPC numbers. Some think Hamilton will adjust, but let's be honest here and acknowledge the fact that Pep Hamilton has never been known as an offensive innovator and the likelihood of him making a drastic change such as heavily moving to a zone blocking scheme are somewhere between zero and none.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 pm

So because some $hitty blog blames the o-line we're supposed to completely overlook Donald Brown and Ahmad Bradshaw running rampant behind the same o-line and ignore the fact that Trent looks plodding and slow?

Yeah, no. He sucks.

the_future
All Pro
All Pro

Postby the_future » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 pm

ericanadian wrote:Someone else pointed out how Trent's success in Alabama was largely under a zone-blocking scheme and that a lot of his struggles can be attached to his difficulty in adapting to other schemes. Given that Indy is still a power running game team, I fully expect Trent to continue to put up terrible YPC numbers. Some think Hamilton will adjust, but let's be honest here and acknowledge the fact that Pep Hamilton has never been known as an offensive innovator and the likelihood of him making a drastic change such as heavily moving to a zone blocking scheme are somewhere between zero and none.
Trent's success at Alabama was because every player on his team was a 5 star stud that was better than the guy across from him. The guy ran behind THREE mid 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder. Pretty sure I could squeeze out 3 yards a carry with that o-line...

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm

:lol: :lol:

The GIF of Coby Fleener "tackling" Trent himself. Hilarious. They need Dwayne Allen badly.

All in all, interesting article. For the most part, those breakdowns were very well covered. However, there were a couple where I disagreed with the author. On about 2 or 3 gifs, it looks like Trent either stutter steps just enough before handoff to lose a split second or he could have burst through a hole or 2 for a hard-earned 5 yard gain rather than a 1 yard gain of going towards his original path. Now part of the latter could either be bad vision, or going to where the play is designed. If he really has a better handle on the playbook this year, he cannot possibly do any worse. I expect improvement, but I just wonder if it will be more than his rookie year stats. The author makes mention of improved line this year, but he didn't really mention a likely improved WR group with the additions of Nicks and Moncrief, along with getting Wayne back and another year of seasoning on Hilton and Rogers. I'd be happy to gamble on Trent as my RB3.