Weatherspoon

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Weatherspoon

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:27 pm

What's your opinion on him? I feel like he has more name value than production given his history and injury concern.

I own Worrilow and would like to split my ATL backers. I've been offered a 2015 3rd and although declined once, it's come back on the table. Rather than get into scoring, I'll say I could make the deal and grab Demario Davis or Beason as likely the two top FA's. I wouldn't say I'm dependent on him by any stretch.

What's your thought on him moving forward, and given other FA's available for comparison, would you take a 2015 3rd (likely mid-round)?

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Weatherspoon

Postby breeze » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:40 am

As a fellow Spoon owner I would say take the pick but make sure to get Beason or Davis. Prefer Beason if possible. I'm a bit worried about Spoon. With the free agent signings, the Falcons look like they will be a 3-4 next year especially with Mike Nolan the DC and if they can snab Khalil Mack. I just don't know of Spoon will succeed as a 3-4 ILB. He is perfect for 4-3 WLB......and yes the injuries are starting to become a concern.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:59 am

The 3-4 transition is an item I've thought about as well, but left out mentioning because I'm not sure if it is actually happening. Is it a known they are making the change? If so, why are the reports so heavy they want to get Clowney? I get he can try it and succeed, but Houston has those same concerns.

Regarding Beason, the draft could have an impact there as well. If they grab Mosley suddenly Beason may be moved over, which may occur regardless depending what they do. It may end up being Demario or David Harris as the replacement. Honestly, I'm not sure how much is lost as a result, but I wanted a second opinion of where people are on Spoon.

Given his injury history and missed tackle rate, do we think there is any possibility the Falcons patience is running thin with him?

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 am

I dont think the 3-4 switch is set in stone but they paid Tyson Jackson a lot of money and he excels at 5 technique DE so it makes sense. I also don't see the Falcons having the firepower to land Clowney. They have so many holes that they need to fill that I think moving up to get Clowney is too pricey. I almost think it is a ploy to get Jax to move up and take Clowney. That will increase the chances that Mack falls to 6.

As for Spoon, like I said above. They have too many holes to fill. I think he has a pretty long leash right now. Another year filled with injuries and subpar performance and then I might start to worry.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:09 am

To explain my reasoning that the Falcons/Clowney interest is all a smoke screen.

Falcons are the only team in the top 6 that absolutely 100% will not take a QB. They want QBs to go in the top five. JAX desperately needs a QB but they also need help on defense and their head coach is a defensive minded one. Clowney would be a perfect fit in Jax. If Clowney goes #1 to Texas I think Jax takes Mack. However if Jax really wants to beat out the race for Clowney, they move up to #1. Houston now takes their QB at 3 (likely Bortles).

So it would likely go

Jax: Clowney
STL: Robinson
HOU: Bortles
Cle: Matthews or Watkins
Oak:Leftover of Matthews/Watkins or maybe Mack
ATL: Mack!

Oakland is the only option for Mack in the top 5 if one QB goes top 5. So my theory is the Falcons are trying to get a team to reach for a QB. Maybe I'm wrong but it kinda makes sense when you think about it.