Appeal of Superflex?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Appeal of Superflex?

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:25 am

Played high stakes a long time and FF for 20 years. I love the FFPC TEP format a lot and live almost exclusively in this format. Recently have considered SF but I don't vibe with the concept. Yes it places more importance on Q, but it's like the only real advantage(?) is that you can play more Qs and make more trades with Qs. I feel like the entire league flattens, and your skills as a manager have less weight because everyone can scoop up the goods. 1QB Tannehill is worthless but in SF you can grab up like Aaron Jones.

To me, it feels like what people don't like about 1 QB, SF swings the pendulum all the way to the other side and creates it's own set of pros and cons - I can elaborate in subsequent post but - someone please talk me out of this.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Appeal of Superflex?

Postby Ray Finkle » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:50 am

Zero appeal

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:22 am

So I'll address this in three parts:

Part 1: SF vs 1QB.
I prefer SF. As you mentioned SF increases the value of QBs because hey you can score a lot more points that way. I find that due to the depth of QB, in 1QB even the elite QBs are rarely worth anything more than a mid first.

Part 2: there is a big difference between SF for a 12+ team league and a 10 team league. Obviously the more teams you have the more starters. If you assume QBs will be equally distributed for a 12 team league, 8 teams will have 3 QBs (2 starters and one bench for byes/injuries) and 4 teams will have 2 QBs (2 starters). This will make 32 QBs rostered. In a ten team league all 10 teams can roster 3 starters and still have two NFL starters available.

So number of teams also matters a lot.

Part 3, FFPC SF leagues.

I'm in 2 ffpc leagues, (team #1 and #2 in signature). Team #1 is 1QB, team #2 is SF. The biggest thing about ffpc teams is that it's a keep 16 from year to year, and really when you consider you have to keep a kicker and defense it's really a keep 14. In 1 QB this isn't too bad because you can keep something like 1QB, 1-2TE, 1K, 1Dst and then 11-12RB/wr. In SF it can be very different, you're looking at 3-4 QB, 1-2TE, 1K, 1DST, and 8-10 RB/WR.

If you venture into SF id recommend 12+ teams and not on ffpc platform.

I'll say my favorite leagues I'm in are 14 team SF leagues with 28-30 roster spots. In those leagues you actually routinely get NFL backups rostered.

As per your concern about it flattening the league I disagree with that fundamentally as I don't think it does that, but I'll also point out that what really flattens the league are small roster sizes. FFPC leagues are designed to allow for high roster turnover so that bottom teams can accelerate their rebuilds even more. If you want to see a less flattened system you need to join a different format.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:05 am

QB is the most important position in football. 1 QB leagues makes it the least important. I got out of 1 QB leagues years ago, and would never play in one again. SF in thoroughly more enjoyable and tests your skills as a manager more. I joined a few SF leagues years ago, and after a couple of years, left all my 1 QB leagues, because I found them so pedestrian and boring in comparison.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am

Thanks for the interesting takes. I agree with the shallow rosters effecting flattening but I remained unconvinced on SF being the superior format.

Here’s an example of what I really don’t like about SF and it flattening the league -

Manager not good at drafting - the middle rounds etc. decides eh just draft Q in the middle rounds, can’t really miss, kind of opposite of a dart throw. Can turn that asset into whatever they want. 1QB the middle rounds are where you make hay, separate.
Last edited by SoftwoodGrampian on Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am

It makes trading and drafting significantly more interesting And appealing for me.
Standard 1qb no TE prem. You're only really getting significant trades of wrs for rbs and maybe the top 3 qbs and top 3 TEs. Makes dealing a lot harder and team construction and philosophy is relatively similar across the board.
Add in SF and TE prem now you've got more fluidity in assets that are valuable and important and picks are more valuable this giving every team more assets to work with, more positions to need/surplus at, and more philosophies in team construction and this a more theoretically active league

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:19 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am Thanks for the interesting takes. I agree with the shallow rosters effecting flattening but I remained unconvinced on SF being the superior format.

Here’s an example of what I really don’t like about SF and it flattening the league -

Manager not good at drafting - the middle rounds etc. decides eh just draft Q in the middle rounds, can’t really miss, kind of opposite of a dart throw. Can turn that asset into whatever they want. 1QB the middle rounds are where you make hay, separate.
Imo qb in the middle isn't really that can't miss as you'd think. Top is pretty stable but that's most assets that high.
21-wilson and fields were the typical mid 1st qbs and each lost A LOT of value
20- tua lost value and just now regained it with hill in town
19-haskins lost it all really fast
18- Allen, baker, darnold and Lamar roller coasters. Josh Rosen went to worthless in a year

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 am

TEP is great, it’s effect is far more balancing than SF IMO. It brings several more pass catchers into relevancy. But with QB in SF, it swings so far the other way that they’re no longer in balance, they’re valuable only by position, not by their individuality. You don’t need skills in drafting QB2 - AUTOMATIC points. Where is the uptick strategy in that? It’s why everyone and their bruh wants a Q in the flex spots.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 am

Play what you like, there are plenty of formats for all. Personally I don't care for Non-PPR, but no many that will play nothing else. It's supposed to be fun, find the format that does that for you
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:05 am QB is the most important position in football. 1 QB leagues makes it the least important. I got out of 1 QB leagues years ago, and would never play in one again. SF in thoroughly more enjoyable and tests your skills as a manager more. I joined a few SF leagues years ago, and after a couple of years, left all my 1 QB leagues, because I found them so pedestrian and boring in comparison.
100%. I even like 2QB for similar reasons. I don't recommend 2QB in >12 team leagues though. SF works well for those as it gives some flexibility but still raises QB value.

1QB just doesn't do it for me

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:19 am
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am Thanks for the interesting takes. I agree with the shallow rosters effecting flattening but I remained unconvinced on SF being the superior format.

Imo qb in the middle isn't really that can't miss as you'd think. Top is pretty stable but that's most assets that high.
18- Allen, baker, darnold and Lamar roller coasters. Josh Rosen went to worthless in a year
Last edited by SoftwoodGrampian on Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:19 am

Talking startup ATM

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 am

Most of the QB's are gone by round 5 in most SF drafts I've done. You're into the last few starters left by then. In rookie drafts, you need to spend an early to mid first to get a first round NFL QB, typically, so this doesn't really happen. If you go QB early in a startup, then you need to use those middle rounds to make up for not getting those elite non QB's in round 1 and 2. Some people will wait until rounds 4 or 5 and grab the lower end QB's, but beyond round 5 in a Superflex startup, you're not getting much of anything at QB from my experience.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:38 am

So you are pigeonholed into drafting that position in the first 5 rounds or else. :-(

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:41 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 am

Most of the QB's are gone by round 5 in most SF drafts I've done. You're into the last few starters left by then. In rookie drafts, you need to spend an early to mid first to get a first round NFL QB, typically, so this doesn't really happen. If you go QB early in a startup, then you need to use those middle rounds to make up for not getting those elite non QB's in round 1 and 2. Some people will wait until rounds 4 or 5 and grab the lower end QB's, but beyond round 5 in a Superflex startup, you're not getting much of anything at QB from my experience.
Also going off this from 2020 adp
Qb ranking
16-goff
17-lock
18-cam
19-brees
21-darnold
26-teddy
27-minshew
28-haskins
29-big Ben
32 Mariota
So of the 16 mid round qbs, 10 experienced significant value/production drops with the only one safe to wind up in a starting job being goff and maybe darnold or Mariota. I wouldn't call that easy, safe or can't miss.