Detroit Lions

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Detroit Lions

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 pm

I know it's only preseason but welcome back to competitive NFL football.

If Stafford plays 16 it will be a great season in Detroit as he looked like Aaron Rodgers tonight.
2009/2010 Devil's Dynasty Champion
2010 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2010 Beer Drinkers Dynasty Champion
2010 Devil's Dynasty II Champion

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Detroit Lions

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Stafford looks terrific and that D-line CRUSHES.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

northga
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby northga » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Their defense might surprise this year.

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Stafford looks terrific and that D-line CRUSHES.

I'm so excited to see some competitve football after a decade of being dormant.

Thank God Millen is gone!

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am

Good to see is right on...After teases with top draft picks in the Millen era, Detroit is ready to take the next 'big' step! The obvious talent is on offense and has proven to be a productive unit with or without Stafford and JBest! The defense looks like a solid unit with big upside ...the only thing holding them back is the secondary but I think it will be 'hidden' and may be as exposed when that front four gets going! Interesting stat, they blitzed less than any other team in the NFL and still had some of the most productive games as far as sacks are concerned in 2010!
Things should only get better for the Lions...Now, who do they play on Turkey Day?
Last edited by melish1631 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:28 pm

melish1631 wrote:Good to see is right on...After teases with top draft picks in the Millen era, Detroit is ready top take the next 'big' step! The obvious talent is on offense and has proven to be a productive unit with or without Stafford and JBest! The defense looks like a solid unit with big upside ...the only thing holding them back is the secondary but I think it will be 'hidden' and may be as exposed when that front four gets going! Interesting stat, they blitzed less than any other team in the NFL and still had some of the most productive games as far as sacks are concerned in 2010!
Things should only get better for the Lions...Now, who do they play on Turkey Day?
The Millen Era was a disaster and the only draft choice or FA move he made that was worth a sh!t was Calvin. Mayhew looks to have a plan and Schwartz appears to be the real deal. I have to temper my enthusiasm as I know it is preseason but I feel this year will be very competitive and they will win 9-10 games, but miss the layoffs as the NFC is stacked and IMO there will be about 4-5 teams fighting for the last two spots behind GB, NO, Phily, and Atlanta.

GB at Detroit on Turkey day.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:
melish1631 wrote:Good to see is right on...After teases with top draft picks in the Millen era, Detroit is ready top take the next 'big' step! The obvious talent is on offense and has proven to be a productive unit with or without Stafford and JBest! The defense looks like a solid unit with big upside ...the only thing holding them back is the secondary but I think it will be 'hidden' and may be as exposed when that front four gets going! Interesting stat, they blitzed less than any other team in the NFL and still had some of the most productive games as far as sacks are concerned in 2010!
The Millen Era was a disaster and the only draft choice or FA move he made that was worth a sh!t was Calvin. Mayhew looks to have a plan and Schwartz appears to be the real deal. I have to temper my enthusiasm as I know it is preseason but I feel this year will be very competitive and they will win 9-10 games, but miss the layoffs as the NFC is stacked and IMO there will be about 4-5 teams fighting for the last two spots behind GB, NO, Phily, and Atlanta.

The Wayne Fontes Glory Days might be back :lol: :D
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Chuck Long or Scott Mitchell anyone....
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnnyFive » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Lions look better than years past... but I have been hearing that this is finally the year for the Lions for the past 5 years.
Keep On Rockin In The Free World

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Shawn wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

The Wayne Fontes Glory Days might be back :lol: :D

Right about now 9-7 sounds good.

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 pm

JohnnyFive wrote:Lions look better than years past... but I have been hearing that this is finally the year for the Lions for the past 5 years.
No you haven't.

Maybe last year and for sure this year but no sane NFL prognosticator was saying it was the Lions year when Millen made us the laughing stock of the NFL.

JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnnyFive » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:
JohnnyFive wrote:Lions look better than years past... but I have been hearing that this is finally the year for the Lions for the past 5 years.
No you haven't.

Maybe last year and for sure this year but no sane NFL prognosticator was saying it was the Lions year when Millen made us the laughing stock of the NFL.
I am not buying the hype until I see it in action during the regular season. I thought Fairley was a steal, but they didn't need him with the D-Line being strong as it was. They should of focused elsewhere like the O-Line to protect Stafford since he is the franchise of an Offense who can be very good with him at the helm.

JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnnyFive » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:55 pm

JohnnyFive wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
No you haven't.

I am not buying the hype until I see it in action during the regular season. I thought Fairley was a steal, but they didn't need him with the D-Line being strong as it was. They should of focused elsewhere like the O-Line to protect Stafford since he is the franchise of an Offense who can be very good with him at the helm.
And for the record I am not trying to bring down the Lions. I don't see them making the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Correct me if im wrong I think they lost 5 games last year by 3 points or less. They had a bad record but they played better than what it showed. They are coming around with Millon out of there...

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:30 pm

I really hope the Lions make the playoffs this season. I loved watching Billy Sims every Thanksgiving growing up and then my favorite RB and probably player of all time Barry Sanders. Enough suffering already Lions fans, the future looks bright! :thumbup:

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:38 am

Steelersfan wrote:I really hope the Lions make the playoffs this season. I loved watching Billy Sims every Thanksgiving growing up and then my favorite RB and probably player of all time Barry Sanders. Enough suffering already Lions fans, the future looks bright! :thumbup:
Now, that's exactly how I feel about the Lions and those 2 were the reason for rooting for them! Although I'm a Steelers Fan, I always liked a few teams other than Pitt and just liked !
Anyone hear the story about Bobby Lane/Matt Stafford and the Lions curse?

Here it is

>>>In 1958, the Lions traded Layne to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Layne responded to the trade by supposedly saying that the Lions would "not win for 50 years".[3]

After the end of the 2008 season, it had been 50 years since the trade, and indeed the Lions have not won a championship in that time, or even been in the championship game. Interestingly, the final season of the curse concluded with the worst season in Lions' and NFL history, at 0-16, and shortly after the season free agent and Lions' player from 2006-2008 Corey Smith perished in the Gulf of Mexico, and former quarterback Jeff Komlo died in a car accident in Greece. During this 50 year period, the Lions have accumulated the worst winning percentage of any team in the NFL. They are one of only two franchises that have been in the NFL since 1970 that have not played in a Super Bowl (the other team is the Cleveland Browns). The Lions made the playoffs nine times in the last 50 seasons, have one post-season win (1991), and three Division titles (1983, 1991, and 1993). The 1st time the Detroit Lions returned to the playoffs after the Layne era was in 1970. This ended a 13-year drought. The Lions lost to the Dallas Cowboys 5-0 in what is still the lowest scoring playoff game of all time.

Coincidentally, in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions drafted University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford first-overall. He came from Highland Park High School, the same high school as Layne. Stafford also lived in a house on the same street as Layne's.[4]

This story has been disputed as being a hoax, particularly because the quote was never published at the time.[5]M<<<
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play