Smith or Hankerson

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
liquidn1tr0
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Smith or Hankerson

Postby liquidn1tr0 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 pm

After going over tape and reading everything I possibly can I still cant figure out who will be a better prospect. Obviously Smith is in a great place but I feel like Hankerson has more talent. Which one would you choose in a fantasy draft and why?
10 Team SF NON-PPR League: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex, OP
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Tannehill, Eason, Grier
RB: Jacobs, Sanders, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson
WR: AJB, C. Ridley, DJ Moore, Hollywood, Harry, DPJ, AGG, Harmon
TE: Kittle, Irv Smith Jr., L. Thomas

Picks: 1x 2021 1st, 2x 2021 2nd

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Re: Smith or Hankerson

Postby dlf_ericd » Sat May 07, 2011 7:51 pm

I think that's a really tough decision between the two. From watch I've watched and read, there is a pretty big difference in their game though.

If you're looking for a Reggie Wayne/Greg Jennings type of receiver that makes the tough catch, has the elusiveness to rack up yards after the catch, but will never be an amazing receiver without an amazing QB, it's Hankerson.

If you want a guy who can stretch the field, catch a bubble screen & take it 80 yards for a TD, but may have issues with drops/concentration/etc. then it's Smith.

Smith has the higher upside if they were in exactly the same situation, but Hankerson has the higher floor...I've seen a whole lot of receivers like Smith bust and never amount to anything. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance and what exactly you're looking for.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Sun May 08, 2011 5:26 am

airlex wrote:…Smith has the higher upside if they were in exactly the same situation, but Hankerson has the higher floor...I've seen a whole lot of receivers like Smith bust and never amount to anything. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance and what exactly you're looking for.
I agree with this. Personally, I would rather have Hankerson at this point.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun May 08, 2011 5:32 am

cleanwillyb wrote:
airlex wrote:…Smith has the higher upside if they were in exactly the same situation, but Hankerson has the higher floor...I've seen a whole lot of receivers like Smith bust and never amount to anything. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance and what exactly you're looking for.
I agree with this. Personally, I would rather have Hankerson at this point.
I also agree. But I'd rather have Smith.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 am

I think I'd rather have Smith, but Hankerson is a great pick in the early 2nd, while Smith will definitely go from 1.7-1.11, from what I've seen from most drafts so far.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Sun May 08, 2011 8:48 am

seahawks506 wrote:I think I'd rather have Smith, but Hankerson is a great pick in the early 2nd, while Smith will definitely go from 1.7-1.11, from what I've seen from most drafts so far.
In our recent draft Hankerson was the 5th WR taken while Smith was the 10th.

Not saying that's typical, just obviously opinions differ this early after the draft.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

repkllrs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby repkllrs » Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 am

Just drafted Hank 1.10. He was 5th rookie wr after Baldy & Little. Smith went 6.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Abe Lincoln

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 am

cleanwillyb wrote:
seahawks506 wrote:I think I'd rather have Smith, but Hankerson is a great pick in the early 2nd, while Smith will definitely go from 1.7-1.11, from what I've seen from most drafts so far.
In our recent draft Hankerson was the 5th WR taken while Smith was the 10th.

Not saying that's typical, just obviously opinions differ this early after the draft.
I think that's exactly right. After about pick 1.07 things start to vary quite a bit.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 am

I have Hankerson 5th WR and Smith 6th WR. Smith is a deep threat but is still learning to catch the ball over his shoulder with his hands instead of his forarms, which is very important skills for a deep threat WR.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:01 pm

That's what I'm thinking as well...the question about smith is he the next Ted Ginn Jr, Mardy Gilyard or could he be a poor man's Mike Wallace...I think the Ravens are going to need him (obviously) to stretch the field and he has no competition for that role!!! He's going to play more than most think...the rest of the WR corps is old, slow and have trouble getting open for the most part. Hankerson is a tough read since he has no QB as of today and their offense isn't kind to WR in the past decade or so...I'd prefer TSmith if it was my pick!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

lake3711
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lake3711 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I would go with Hankerson. Hankerson is in a good situation to see immediate playing time. Smith is raw and needs to work on his route running. He will take a while to develop....sometimes guys like that never develop. I think Hankerson will contribute right away. I think he'll get off to a quicker start and he has upside.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 pm

In my recent draft, I grabbed Smith at 2.02 and Hankerson went 2.03. I took a shot with Smith as Ozzie Newsome said tha Smith will have every opportunity to start this year and I liked his situation with Flacco as his QB. I passed on Hankerson because of the QB situation. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right... who the Hell knows right now. They could both be busts. LOL

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:20 pm

T.Smith is a deep threat who has a way to go to become a more well-rounded WR. Hankerson should be a target monster for the Redskins early in his career and can run more routes than Smith. If Smith puts it all together over time (and he'll need time to do that for sure), he could become a Greg Jennings type of player but has a looooooooooong way to go before that's even a remote possibility. Hankerson should have a productive career even if his upside might be more that of a #2 WR.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

farmerj3
Captain
Captain

Postby farmerj3 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:11 pm

THis is a great thread everyone....

Tough decision.... I like Hankerson more i think, because i am scared of the Maryland reciever rep with Heyward Bay..

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Sun May 15, 2011 10:21 pm

farmerj3 wrote:THis is a great thread everyone....

Tough decision.... I like Hankerson more i think, because i am scared of the Maryland reciever rep with Heyward Bay..
coming out of maryland doesn't pplay a big part in my thinking but i would also lean toward hankerson, hankerson will be a starter this year, no matter what, so he will get targets, not a whole lot of others worth throwing too

i personally like doss to become a better wr in bal over smith, mabe not this yr but in the next couple, doss fits in as more of the possesion rec there but with mason being almost 38 and boldin turning 31 this yr, i see doss being the better of the bal 2011 draft wrs, but that is against conventinal wisdom i would say