AJ Green vs. Julio Jones

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.

Which WR would you draft first?

AJ Green
76%
Julio Jones
24%

Total votes: 51

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

AJ Green vs. Julio Jones

Postby Shawn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Wanted to get a sense of where everyone is at regarding Green vs. Jones, and who you'd prefer at this point. Jones seems to have been gaining big momentum recently in a lot of mock drafts.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Re: AJ Green vs. Julio Jones

Postby dlf_ericd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 pm

No surprise here...I've been pro-AJ Green since day 1. There has been NOTHING I've seen, heard, read, etc that has changed my mind at all. I see Jones as the more physical receiver, the better blocker, and a little bit quicker in shorts...other than that, I'd give the nod to Green in every category. I like Jones and think he can be a solid WR2 and someday a low WR1, but don't see him as a future top 3 WR as I do with Green.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

haydn239
Captain
Captain

Postby haydn239 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

airlex wrote:No surprise here...I've been pro-AJ Green since day 1. There has been NOTHING I've seen, heard, read, etc that has changed my mind at all. I see Jones as the more physical receiver, the better blocker, and a little bit quicker in shorts...other than that, I'd give the nod to Green in every category. I like Jones and think he can be a solid WR2 and someday a low WR1, but don't see him as a future top 3 WR as I do with Green.
I voted AJ but do feel Jones will be a beast as well. Hopefully he lands in a good situation with a solid QB.
Twitter @haydn239

Madtoker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madtoker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 am

I went Jones just so I can say I told you so lol!!

bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bdynomite » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 am

Green has top-5 upside while Jones has top-15.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

I like both, but voted Green. I have Green's talent above Jones. Jones landing spot might close the gap some, but I don't think Jones will overtake Green in my mind at any time. Green is the better talent right now. Both of them have nice future upside.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:46 pm

I voted for Jones. I love Green as he has the "Natural Talent", but his work ethic has been questioned a bit. By all accounts, Jones is a very hard worker, who is always trying to improve, though he may not be as talented as Green. Sometimes the guy who is the harder worker gets the best of the naturally talented guy.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:33 am

bdynomite wrote:Green has top-5 upside while Jones has top-15.
This is how I feel too.

However, normally I don't weight NFL draft results as heavily as others. Seems to me that talent will win out in the long run. But I wonder what will happen with these two. If Green goes to Cinci or Cleveland while Julio goes to STL (for example) will the situation just be so much better to make Julio a better fantasy producer? For example, in my salary cap league we can "only" sign rookies to five year deals. If Julio is producing WR2 numbers (a la Mike Williams) from day one, while Green is waiting for a QB situation to sort out, who is the better pick? Two years like that over a five year contract could make the overall contribution to a team better from Julio.

All that said, I don't think I could ever actually pick Julio over Green. Green seems like the consensus best WR and maybe even best player in the draft. That's tough to pass up. Makes the 1.02 pick a sweet one this year. Green or the RB1 seems like a no lose proposition. Less than three weeks to draft day. . .

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

tstafford wrote:
bdynomite wrote:Green has top-5 upside while Jones has top-15.
This is how I feel too.

However, normally I don't weight NFL draft results as heavily as others. Seems to me that talent will win out in the long run. But I wonder what will happen with these two. If Green goes to Cinci or Cleveland while Julio goes to STL (for example) will the situation just be so much better to make Julio a better fantasy producer? For example, in my salary cap league we can "only" sign rookies to five year deals. If Julio is producing WR2 numbers (a la Mike Williams) from day one, while Green is waiting for a QB situation to sort out, who is the better pick? Two years like that over a five year contract could make the overall contribution to a team better from Julio.

All that said, I don't think I could ever actually pick Julio over Green. Green seems like the consensus best WR and maybe even best player in the draft. That's tough to pass up. Makes the 1.02 pick a sweet one this year. Green or the RB1 seems like a no lose proposition. Less than three weeks to draft day. . .

Besides that I dont believe Julio Jones falling to STL, CLE wouldn´t actualy be that bad for Green. McCoy seems to the guy there. I actually dont really care where Green lands, as even Buffalo has produced some nice WR stats last season. That being said.. I think Green will land with the Bengals and Julio Jones with the Browns.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

chiefs_fan4life_2
Starter
Starter

Postby chiefs_fan4life_2 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am

Julio Jones will be the best WR in this draft class. He will be a top 5 WR within 3 years!! Thats my feeling and prediction!
1 QB, 5 (RB-WR-TE), PK, 3 DE/DT, 3 LB, 3 CB/S
standard scoring w/ppr

QB- Palmer, Cassel, Dalton(r), Mallett(r), Collins
RB-
WR- Fitz, Marshall, Nicks, Crabtree, SJohnson, Gibson, Burton(r), Roberts, Randle El, Cruz
TE- Davis, Cook
PK- Nedney
DE/DT- Cole, Umenyiora, Biermann, Gregg, Liuget(r), Coleman
LB- Mayo, Ruud, Lofton, Houston(r), TDavis, English
CB/S- Branch, Verner, Chung, Barber, Fletcher, Greene, Gregory, ABerry, Peterson(r)

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Conviction! I think they are closer than the initial predictions...going by all of the draft experts, Green will land in either Cincy or Cleveland and Jones in either Washington or St Louis...this is realt speculation and guessing but the best destination out of those is St Louis!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:11 pm

NateNFL
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby NateNFL » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I voted Green. I just think he is a natural. Fluid routes, no wasted motion, and great hands. Jones is more physical and should be good as well but I'll take the natural pass catcher for fantasy football. I don't get points for Jones blocking.
Nate Hodges @NateNFL
Pro Football Focus Fantasy IDP Writer
Top Tier Football.com
Projection Podcast

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Here's a video of Julio Jones against LSU - http://youtu.be/Nt1tgN_lTPc
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Both are elite talents, but will both end up in ideal situations? To me this will be the determining factor on who I take IMO. Some view Green as the superior talent, but I view them both as top notch.

I would've loved to have gotten Jones or Green with the 1.2, but I got the opportunity to acquire Ray Rice so I traded that pick as part of a package to get it done.