Gabbert

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Gabbert

Postby tstafford » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am

All,

Where do you think Gabbert should be drafted in rookie drafts? I realize situation impacts it somewhat. Is he a surefire first rounder or does he fall to the second?

Thanks.
Tim

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Gabbert

Postby melish1631 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59 am

tstafford wrote:All,

Where do you think Gabbert should be drafted in rookie drafts? I realize situation impacts it somewhat. Is he a surefire first rounder or does he fall to the second?

Thanks.
Tim
I think with 4-6 teams in dire need of a franchise QB he will have opportunities quicker than the typical rookie QB, similar to Colt McCoy, I think he will go between 6-9 depending on what other fantasy owners opinions of Cam Newton are. Today, I assume Green, Ingram, Jones, LeShoure and possible Baldwin go ahead of the 2 QB's. Then there are the 2nd tier WR/RB's (Baldwin is borderline) to consider but I have taken a different approach when I have multiple picks in a rookie round - I take the best player available in almost all situations!
After all, we trade so often that it's a commodity in the end...Just my opinion :thumbup:
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm not a big fan of drafting a rookie QB in the top 10. They have a very poor bust rate. And, they aren't as versatile because we only start 1 in most leagues while we start 2 or 3 RBs and anything from 2-4 WRs. That makes those positions so much more valuable. Even in the larger leagues, like 16 teams, there are 2 NFL starting QBs available to every team on average. When you only start 1, it makes QBs outside the top couple of tiers not even worth a 1st round pick. So, to start with, if you say that a rookie QB isn't in the top 10 dynasty QBs before he even plays, he's not worth spending a top 10 pick on him. You can get a later end top 10 dynasty QB for about the same price as you spend to draft him if you take him in the top 10. And if you draft one, then you have to hope that he doesn't bust, which more often than not, they do. Or at the very least they become just average.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 am

1.10-1.12 all the way to top of the 2nd-round in 12-team leagues, IMO. Situation may swing value a couple of spots. Gabbert isn't the prospect Stafford or Bradford were coming out, so he may go lower but QBs seem to go in the 10-12 range because owners think 'give me the best QB in the rookie draft' instead of 'give me the 4th or 5th-best RB or WR'. Rudolph may factor in, as well, further pushing some of the QB prospects down. Obviously, depending on where the other top-QB prospects go in the NFL Draft, where Gabbert gets picked in rookie drafts could drift even further.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 pm

i wouldn't take any of the qbs coming out this year in the 1st

bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bdynomite » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 am

??Droppedballs?? wrote:i wouldn't take any of the qbs coming out this year in the 1st
I don't see how you can't even consider Gabbert or Newton at the end of the first assuming they are drafted into starter situations. Both should be the QB of the future for whichever team drafts them and both should have reasonably high upside. I would take either over Little, Smith, Hunter, and possibly Young. Gabbert is the most likely of this bunch to be the next Stafford or Bradford type. And Newton, his physical ability makes him easily worth a gamble at the end of the first. Just what I think anyways.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert unofficially completed 44-of-49 passes at the Tigers' Pro Day Thursday.
Mizzou beat writer Dave Matter attributes "at least three" of the incompletions to drops on catchable balls. Gabbert's Pro Day was not fully televised, but the early returns suggest plenty of arm strength, nice footwork, and a more natural throwing motion than Cam Newton. ESPN 101 St. Louis' Tony Softli, a former NFL exec, is now calling Gabbert a "more athletic Drew Bledsoe" while SI.com's Don Banks suggests the performance will "give Carolina something to think about" at No. 1 overall. Gabbert also scored an impressive 42 on the Wonderlic exam.
Rotoworld

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 pm

NFL.com's Gil Brandt labeled Blaine Gabbert's Pro Day workout "outstanding" and "much better" than Cam Newton's.
Brandt's opinion is noteworthy because he had been one of the Heisman winner's leading supporters, advocating for the Panthers to jump all over Newton with the first pick. "I'm not so sure now," says Brandt. "Gabbert couldn't have done better had he borrowed Drew Brees' right arm. All the questions about his accuracy should start to go away after his workout in front of approximately 125 scouts, coaches and GMs." SI.com's Tony Pauline also believes Gabbert should be ranked ahead of Newton at this point.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 am

Well, I am considering taking him 1.1 in my league #2 below. The rationale for this is that we start 2 QB's and I have little depth at the position. Also, the value of QB's in this league is very high to all owners, so having 4 starting QB's on your roster is quite a good leverage point in trades. People will hugely overpay for starting QB's because many owners only have 2 anyway. QB's never last much past the first round in this leagues rookie draft, so that is where I am leaning. I don't like Cam Newton at all, and don't have him on my draft board.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 am

I am looking at taking Gabbert at 1.5 in one of my leagues. I would trade down but the guy at 1.7 is also looking to take a QB and I don't have any faith in Newton. My QBs are McCoy and Palmer so I have a big need for a QB.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:07 am

I wouldn't take a QB earlier then really late first or second. However, depends on scoring. If your QB's get 6 pts per passing TD and say 1 pt for every 15 yards, that things drastically.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 am

Cojo 2020 wrote:Well, I am considering taking him 1.1 in my league #2 below. The rationale for this is that we start 2 QB's and I have little depth at the position. Also, the value of QB's in this league is very high to all owners, so having 4 starting QB's on your roster is quite a good leverage point in trades. People will hugely overpay for starting QB's because many owners only have 2 anyway. QB's never last much past the first round in this leagues rookie draft, so that is where I am leaning. I don't like Cam Newton at all, and don't have him on my draft board.
It's your team but I wouldn't do that. Schaub, Flacco, Bradford is plenty of depth in a start-2 QB. No way I use the 1.1 pick on such a questionable prospect like Gabbert. Grab BPA, you can never go wrong with that.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 am

I think Newton has the opportunity to be Tebow-like, in that I think he'll be one of those few players that are better fantasy players than real-life QB's...but he'll get every opportunity to win and keep the job, wherever he lands.

Just for the boom factor, I'd take Newton ahead of Gabbert, even though I like Gabbert better as a prospect.

I mean, if you're drafting a QB in the rookie draft because you NEED it soon anyways, you're in some trouble. So either way, you might as well shoot for the sky.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am

Mangelo wrote:
Cojo 2020 wrote:Well, I am considering taking him 1.1 in my league #2 below. The rationale for this is that we start 2 QB's and I have little depth at the position. Also, the value of QB's in this league is very high to all owners, so having 4 starting QB's on your roster is quite a good leverage point in trades. People will hugely overpay for starting QB's because many owners only have 2 anyway. QB's never last much past the first round in this leagues rookie draft, so that is where I am leaning. I don't like Cam Newton at all, and don't have him on my draft board.
It's your team but I wouldn't do that. Schaub, Flacco, Bradford is plenty of depth in a start-2 QB. No way I use the 1.1 pick on such a questionable prospect like Gabbert. Grab BPA, you can never go wrong with that.
x2. Gotta go BPA at 1.01 in any league. If you're set on getting Gabbert, at least try to trade back and get some value.

haydn239
Captain
Captain

Postby haydn239 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Just watched Gruden work the hell out of the Gabbert. Kid looks real good especially in a situation where he had to adjust and wasn't acting out a script like in his pro day. He looks to have real upside and hopefully he falls into a situation where he can sit and wait for a year or two and doesn't get racked like Carr did. If so, i can see this Kid having some success at the NFL level. He appears coachable, smart, good pocket presence and a nice arm as well as athleticism on top of that to scramble and out-run most front seven defenders.
Twitter @haydn239