Browns making some big moves

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Browns making some big moves

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm

I would say this pretty much guarantees they take Barkley at 1.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Re: Browns making some big moves

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:09 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm I would say this pretty much guarantees they take Barkley at 1.
I agree. It makes the most sense, imo. I’ve been cracking up at a lot of these mock drafts that have Barkley going #9 to the 49ers and yes, I’ve saw several that have that. Even if the Browns don’t take him, he’ll go #2 or #3 at worst. Back to the Browns, take Barkley at #1, then either best defensive player at #4 or a QB there if one of their guys are there.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Better the Browns than Giants or Colts. Those Olines are wrecks.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm I would say this pretty much guarantees they take Barkley at 1.
Disagree. I think they are just as likely to take a QB in the first as they were yesterday. And if they have one QB they like over the rest, they take him at 1. We'll see though.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 pm

As someone who traded for the pick, unless he slides to fringe top 10; the Browns are the best spot.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 pm
Disagree. I think they are just as likely to take a QB in the first as they were yesterday. And if they have one QB they like over the rest, they take him at 1. We'll see though.
Maybe. I don’t think that Tyrod is the answer, but he gives them a startable option at QB and a decent groomer of the rookie QB they will grab at 1.04. Seems to me that the Browns are looking to make some splash plays to get some excitement around them. And what better way to do it than trade for Landry, and upgrade to a startable QB. The Browns obviously didn’t believe in Crowell and don’t think Duke is a 3 down back, so they should grab the best RB prospect in recent years who can run between the tackles and catch out of the backfield. I don’t see any other RB worth taking at 1.01 or 1.04.

Tyrod, Barkley, Duke, Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Njoku look pretty decent on paper.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 am

I think this means that it’s more likely that the QB they covet is Josh Allen or Mayfield, as Darnold and Rosen are relatively pro-ready prospects and wouldn’t necessarily need a veteran to sit behind. I don’t think it indicates whether or not they’ll take Barkley at 1.01.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 am I think this means that it’s more likely that the QB they covet is Josh Allen or Mayfield, as Darnold and Rosen are relatively pro-ready prospects and wouldn’t necessarily need a veteran to sit behind. I don’t think it indicates whether or not they’ll take Barkley at 1.01.
All of them should sit behind a starter, but with precious few available, this rarely works out.
The standard is the standard.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 am I think this means that it’s more likely that the QB they covet is Josh Allen or Mayfield, as Darnold and Rosen are relatively pro-ready prospects and wouldn’t necessarily need a veteran to sit behind. I don’t think it indicates whether or not they’ll take Barkley at 1.01.
I am getting scared a bit as we have agreed on way too many things lately but my 1st thought when I heard this was josh allen was their guy . Early reports by a few insiders said the browns loved josh allen but nearly everyone agrees he isn't ready yet . Tyrod is a seat warmer for a year or two while the browns find a coach willing to nuture josh allen after they fire hue.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 am

1) bradley chubb
1.04) fitzpatrick
round 2 pick 33 ) lamar jackson
round 2 pick 35) nick chubb
round 2 pick 64) best linemen or defense

then win super bowl... if you have a great d you can win with taylor, just look at the eagles and foles this year.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 am

Taylor has one year left on his deal, and I doubt Cleveland is confident right now that Taylor is their guy beyond '18. This means they are still very much in play for a QB in round 1, including at 1.1.

Historically, it just doesn't pay dividends to franchises to spend 1.1 on a running-back. Superstar RBs don't create postseason success the way superstar QBs, linebackers, defensive-ends, and defensive-backs do.

It'd be one thing if I thought Cleveland just wants to be a franchise that would settle for 6-8 wins a year, but I think Haslam and Hue Jackson are actually dreaming of crafting a legitimate long-term contender, hence why they've been tolerant of these 'scorched earth' winless seasons in order to stockpile picks and rebuild. Barkley at 1.1 is the kind of pick a franchise makes when they just want to placate their fans in the near-term, and it's clear now Haslam isn't motivated in that context.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 am

I don't see how acquiring Tyrod gets them out of drafting a QB early, especially after moving Kizer immediately afterwards. With Buffalo moving Taylor, it seems pretty likely, they'll be looking to move up in the draft. Maybe Cleveland trades the 4th pick for Buffalo's pair of firsts after selecting their desired QB.

I don't really believe the hype on Barkley going to the Colts. They've been running a power game for years, and have Marlon Mack to complement a much cheaper guy like Chubb. It's certainly possible they take Barkley, but seems more like smoke to me.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 am I don't see how acquiring Tyrod gets them out of drafting a QB early, especially after moving Kizer immediately afterwards. With Buffalo moving Taylor, it seems pretty likely, they'll be looking to move up in the draft. Maybe Cleveland trades the 4th pick for Buffalo's pair of firsts after selecting their desired QB.

I don't really believe the hype on Barkley going to the Colts. They've been running a power game for years, and have Marlon Mack to complement a much cheaper guy like Chubb. It's certainly possible they take Barkley, but seems more like smoke to me.
Agreed.

I truly believe the best move for the Browns is to grab their top QB at 1.01, because the is a good chance that Barkley is still there at 1.04, should they be interested. And if he isn’t, that means a stud DLineman or a stud CB will be there. Win-win, no matter what.
The standard is the standard.

hotrod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby hotrod » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:45 am

They need a franchise QB but they are still playing moneyball and will likely be looking to get the best long term value. There are maybe 5 potential franchise QBs in this draft without a lot of separation. Unless they are extremely high on just one of Allen, Rosen or Darnold, I would expect they go Barkley (maybe Chubb) or trade down a few spots knowing they will still land a top QB.
Team 1
12tm, roster=20, Start QRRWWTFKD
noppr, 1pt per 10 pass yds, 1pt per 5 rush/rec yds, All tds 6pts, milestone bonuses

QB: Murray, Minshew, Foles
RB: Coleman, Chubb, Dobbins, Henderson, Harris, Hunt, Michel
WR: Evans, Hopkins, ARob, C Samuel
TE: J Smith, Tonyan, Jarwin
DST: Seahawks, Packers
2020: 1.08, 2.08, 3.08

Team 2
12 tm superflex, roster=25, start 1-2 qb, 1-5 rb, 1-5 wr, 1-2 te, d
standard scoring, .5ppr, all tds=6pts
QB: Foles, Glennon, McCoy, Minshew, Prescott, Wentz
RB: Bell, Malcolm Brown, Cook, Duke Johnson, Kamara, Josh Kelly, Perine, Sanders
WR: Corey Davis, Evans, Fuller, Ridley, Arob, M Thomas, P Williams
TE: Hooper, Waller
DST: Ravens, Vikings
2021: 3.11
2022: 2nd, 3rd

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

The bust rate is so high on QBs, that I will be surprised if they take a QB at 1.01. Way to risky to pass Barkley and expect him to be there at 1.04. He’s one of the safest picks that you can make and they need a RB, Duke Johnson is just a 3rd down back, imo. They can still get a QB at 1.04, if they want.