OJ Howard TE premium

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
nabright
All Pro
All Pro

OJ Howard TE premium

Postby nabright » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:09 pm

I am trying to get a gauge on what OJ Howard's value would be in a rookie draft with these settings. The settings are 1.5ppr and 1.5pts per 10yds for TE. RBs get .5ppr and .25ppc. WRs 1ppr. We start 1TE, but have 2 flex spots and a super flex. Just for reference, Kelce scored 326pts last year with these settings.

Where would you draft Howard in the rookie draft regardless of team need?
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Re: OJ Howard TE premium

Postby RightlegTucker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:21 pm

His average ADP in regular formats is still in the 1.06-1.07 range as far as I've seen. In a TE premium league I'd probably still lean Fournette/Mixon and Davis but he's at least the 1.04. I think you could make an argument he's the best IRL offensive skill prospect in this draft.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Even with those settings, the earliest I would consider taking him is at 1.05 but I still probably wouldn't take him until 1.07.

Dynasty19
Starter
Starter

Postby Dynasty19 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:24 pm

No earlier than 1.07
10 Team - Full PPR
QB - Wentz, Mayfield, Carr
RB - Chubb, Bell, Conner, Lindsay, McKinnon
WR - Adams, OBJ, AJ Brown, McLaurin, Cooks, Crowder, Watkins
TE - Engram, Goedert, Howard, Knox

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 pm

326 for Kelcie. That was what freeman scored in my ppr league two years ago. I think Howard is a good bet at 1.4
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm

I might move him up to 1.06 ahead of Mike Williams, but I'm not sure. Also, you told us what Kelce scored last year, but we have no idea what other players scored with that scoring...so that's not really giving us all the information. It sounds like RBs are even more valuable since there's a .25ppc.

mzkp54
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby mzkp54 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 pm

It's not the popular opinion, but he's not someone I'm drafting. Even in a TE premium, I think he will be cheaper to buy next year after he doesn't go out and put up TE1 numbers this year. Even if he does, I don't see his price next year being more than the 1.05ish where he'd cost this year, and you get the chance at it being cheaper.

But like I said, I don't think its a very popular opinion
12 tm/PPR/SF/TE+/Full IDP (start 11/11)/Contracts
QB- Kyler, TLaw Stafford
RB- Dowdle, Mitchell
WR- JJ, Lamb, ARSB, DJM, Kirk QJ
TE- Engram, Schultz
PK/CB-
DT- Wilkins, Vea
DE- Bosa, Young, Landry Ebukam
LB- Campbell,Speed, Mcfadden, Dodson
S-
1.02, 1.11
3 '25 1sts, 4 '26 1sts

jonf86
Starter
Starter

Postby jonf86 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Coming from the person who traded you OJ Howard, he should've been a top 3 rookie pick and in contention for #1. It's not just that the league is TE premium, it's also due to the fact you can start up to 4 TE's in your lineup (as long as you don't play a 2nd QB). Simple supply and demand. 32 starting TE's in the NFL (not all are even fantasy starting worthy so the real number is less than that) and 14 teams in our league. That's going to leave a huge TE shortage for some teams. In my honest opinion, you did more than fine with that trade.
QB: D. Watson, T. Taylor, J. Driskel, J. Johnson, C. Rush, N. Sudfeld, M. White
RB: C. McCaffrey, C. Carson, K. Johnson, R. Penny, J. Samuels, D. Pumphrey
WR: J.J. Smith-Schuster, R. Woods, L. Fitzgerald, J. Nelson, M. Gallup R. Switzer, B. Berrios, C. Batson, R. Higgins, J. Kearse
TE: G. Kittle, I. Thomas, J Doyle, W. Dissly, J. Leggett, J. Gresham, T. Conklin
16 Team Dynasty (PPR). Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, FLEX, SFLEX
2018 Champs

QB: M. Stafford, J. Garoppolo
RB: I. Crowell, J. Williams, A. Abdullah, C.J. Anderson
WR: C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, W. Fuller, M. Valdez-Scantling, D.J. Chark, E. St. Brown, J. Kumerow, R. Higgins, C. Meredith, J. Kearse
TE: D. Njoku, H. Henry, C. Herndon, G. Everett, I. Thomas, J. Leggett, W. Dissly
14 Team SuperFlex Dynasty TE 1.5 PPR and .15PPY, WR PPR, RB .25PPC and .5PPR, QB: 4 Point TDs
Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, OP

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:59 am

Goddard wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm I might move him up to 1.06 ahead of Mike Williams, but I'm not sure. Also, you told us what Kelce scored last year, but we have no idea what other players scored with that scoring...so that's not really giving us all the information. It sounds like RBs are even more valuable since there's a .25ppc.
Meant to say something about the RBs too. They score about the same as they would in a normal 1ppr league with no points per carry. So, their value is not really increased with these settings. Even though it seems like they might be. For example, Murray scored only 8 more points in this league and LeVeon actually score 25 fewer points compared to my 1ppr league with no points per carry.
Team 1
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
Team 2
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 am

jonf86 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm Coming from the person who traded you OJ Howard, he should've been a top 3 rookie pick and in contention for #1. It's not just that the league is TE premium, it's also due to the fact you can start up to 4 TE's in your lineup (as long as you don't play a 2nd QB). Simple supply and demand. 32 starting TE's in the NFL (not all are even fantasy starting worthy so the real number is less than that) and 14 teams in our league. That's going to leave a huge TE shortage for some teams. In my honest opinion, you did more than fine with that trade.
Of course you would think he's worth the 1.01 since you traded him! He's not worth the 1.01 just because you can start up to 4! A RB or WR would still be a better option. Even with these settings I still wouldn't take him above Fournette Davis Cooks Mixon add in Superflex he's still gonna Go around the 1.05-1.07 range like he has been. But I agree with waiting to buy him next year when he doesn't produce right away like everyone thinks. He's good but TEs take a few to develop
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

ShimSham99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ShimSham99 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:16 am

In my two TE premium leagues he went 1.5. I'd take him at 1.4 easily in this format.

jonf86
Starter
Starter

Postby jonf86 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 am

pierson242 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 am
jonf86 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm Coming from the person who traded you OJ Howard, he should've been a top 3 rookie pick and in contention for #1. It's not just that the league is TE premium, it's also due to the fact you can start up to 4 TE's in your lineup (as long as you don't play a 2nd QB). Simple supply and demand. 32 starting TE's in the NFL (not all are even fantasy starting worthy so the real number is less than that) and 14 teams in our league. That's going to leave a huge TE shortage for some teams. In my honest opinion, you did more than fine with that trade.
Of course you would think he's worth the 1.01 since you traded him! He's not worth the 1.01 just because you can start up to 4! A RB or WR would still be a better option. Even with these settings I still wouldn't take him above Fournette Davis Cooks Mixon add in Superflex he's still gonna Go around the 1.05-1.07 range like he has been. But I agree with waiting to buy him next year when he doesn't produce right away like everyone thinks. He's good but TEs take a few to develop
Well if you don't think I can have an unbiased opinion because I traded Howard, take my post with a grain of salt. In our 14 team TE Premium start up to 4 TE league, at the moment, there are still 5 teams with only one TE and 2 teams without any. Witten, Julius Thomas and Charles Clay are the only even remotely viable options left on the board. What happens when teams have to deal with injuries/bye weeks? There will be no options for them but to overpay in a trade.

Applying the scoring of this league to last year, Kelce outscored Luck, Antonio Brown, Odell, Mike Evans. Kyle Rudolph outscored Jordan Howard, Julio, TY Hilton. It's not just that teams have the option to start up to 4 TEs. If we were using standard scoring there would be no motivation to start more than 1. With the premium scoring and the option to start more than 1, TE values are extremely high. As it pertains to Howard, TE prospects with his landing spot don't come around every year. If anyone can buck the trend of rookie TE's needing significant time to adjust to the NFL game, he can.
QB: D. Watson, T. Taylor, J. Driskel, J. Johnson, C. Rush, N. Sudfeld, M. White
RB: C. McCaffrey, C. Carson, K. Johnson, R. Penny, J. Samuels, D. Pumphrey
WR: J.J. Smith-Schuster, R. Woods, L. Fitzgerald, J. Nelson, M. Gallup R. Switzer, B. Berrios, C. Batson, R. Higgins, J. Kearse
TE: G. Kittle, I. Thomas, J Doyle, W. Dissly, J. Leggett, J. Gresham, T. Conklin
16 Team Dynasty (PPR). Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, FLEX, SFLEX
2018 Champs

QB: M. Stafford, J. Garoppolo
RB: I. Crowell, J. Williams, A. Abdullah, C.J. Anderson
WR: C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, W. Fuller, M. Valdez-Scantling, D.J. Chark, E. St. Brown, J. Kumerow, R. Higgins, C. Meredith, J. Kearse
TE: D. Njoku, H. Henry, C. Herndon, G. Everett, I. Thomas, J. Leggett, W. Dissly
14 Team SuperFlex Dynasty TE 1.5 PPR and .15PPY, WR PPR, RB .25PPC and .5PPR, QB: 4 Point TDs
Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, OP

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

In TE-premium where you can start multiple TEs or in 2-TE leagues, I just tend to halve their ADP to approximate their relative value -- both rookie ADP and start-up ADP. In other words, if Howard is valued at, say, 1.06 normally, then 1.03. If you'd value him at, say, 1.08 normally, then 1.04 here. And so on. Same with start-up ADP. Say that TE-"X" is ranked as the 60th player in a start-up, then I'd move him up to around the 30 range in this format or a 2-TE one.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)

KenAndTonic
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KenAndTonic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm very high on Howard in TE+ leagues and would take him as high as 1.05, though you have to be willing to be patient with him. I got him at 1.07 and was thrilled, but not expect too much out of him until next year at the earliest and likely year 3.
Team #1 (co-owned), 1QB
QB - Joe Burrow, Jared Goff, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, James White, JK Dobbins, Nyheim Hines
WR - AJ Brown, Dionae Johnson, AJ Green, Curtis Samuel, Brandin Cooks, Michael Pittman
TE - Austin Hooper, OJ Howard

Team #2, Superflex
QB - Desean Watson, Carson Wentz, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, JK Dobbins, JD McKissic, Tarik Cohen
WR - DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Tyler Lockett, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders
TE - Junno Smith, Evan Engram

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:00 am

I do not expect Howard to come in and become a TE1 this year, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility either. I think he is the best TE to come out since Gronk did. I more expect him to put up TE2 numbers this year. Then next year most likely will make a leap after TB lets Brate walk and finds a cheaper blocking TE through the draft or FA. In this format the only guy I'd take over Howard is LF. The rest of the guys come with just as much or more risk than Howard.
Team 1
Team 2
Team 3