Percy and Ronnie

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Percy and Ronnie

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 am

What realistic 1st rd draft pick or RB could I acquire with a package of Ronnie Brown and Harvin also considering where I drafted Percy (1.7), my league scoring (format listed below), and his production last year?

I don't have any offers made up yet. Would like to get a feel from you guys. Thanks a bunch in advance!

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Percy and Ronnie

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am

hot nikkels wrote:What realistic 1st rd draft pick or RB could I acquire with a package of Ronnie Brown and Harvin also considering where I drafted Percy (1.7), my league scoring (format listed below), and his production last year?

I don't have any offers made up yet. Would like to get a feel from you guys. Thanks a bunch in advance!
i wouldnt take anything less than a top 2 ... but im a harvin homer.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I would get a little sales pitchy on it when sending over trade offers.

If the 1.1 pick team is zeroing in on Dez, that will help you. You can sell Harvin as being more proven & more valuable then any of the WRs not named Dez (Benn, Thomas, Tate, etc). If the 1.2, 1.3. 1.4 teams have a need for a WR & they've accepted that they're not getting Dez, they might be pretty interested. They are probably thinking of Spiller, Mathews, etc to land on their team & boost their RBs, but that's where Brown comes in. He can act as a bandaid & give them RB production until their 2.something RB develops or they get a stud RB next year.

So yeah, I'd shoot for the highest draft pick you can after Dez goes. 1.2? 1.3?

RB-wise, I'd go for a Beanie Wells value type of player. I would sell it as Percy fell to the 1.7 last year because of his bust potential, but he already proved that he will succeed in the next level, so if there was a re-do, he would go much higher. Brown is icing on the cake.

Also, I've noticed that I've had better luck sending over a trade like this if I find their worst player & have them include it in the package. Yeah, I know, they're gonna drop that player anyways, but still, it's like going to the gas station & seeing gas for $2.99 per gallon instead of $3 per gallon. So instead of offering Harvin/Brown for Beanie Wells, I'd offer something like Harvin/Brown for Beanie Wells/Kevin Curtis. Seems like people recoil when they see a trade coming their way, and they get more people than they're giving up.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't know. The article on the DLF homepage got me thinking. all of the RB prospects have been injured at some point in their college careers. Is Dez a hard worker? Maybe I'm better hanging onto Harvin.

If Harvin was in this years class where would he be ranked? Versus the potential top picks he's right up there.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 pm

hot nikkels wrote:I don't know. The article on the DLF homepage got me thinking. all of the RB prospects have been injured at some point in their college careers. Is Dez a hard worker? Maybe I'm better hanging onto Harvin.

If Harvin was in this years class where would he be ranked? Versus the potential top picks he's right up there.
Probably 4-10 range, I would guess. This year's class is very hard to gague, IMO. After Dez (and including Dez) there are many ???s at WR. After the top-2 RBs there are many ???s. This class just isn't impressing me very much. Time will tell.

I will say that Harvin is a player that I'm not a huge fan of. He's explosive, yes. I think he's like Santonio Holmes career-path wise on the field. Explosive, big-plays on occasion and also inconsistency. Harvin and Golden Tate might be similar in risk/value in terms of this year's draft and Harvin, though I like Harvin over Tate. I also like Maclin over Harvin and also Britt and Nicks over Harvin, etc. Hard question to answer. Hopefully some of my rambling helps. ;)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 am

4-6 range for me.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Percy and Ronnie

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:14 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:What realistic 1st rd draft pick or RB could I acquire with a package of Ronnie Brown and Harvin also considering where I drafted Percy (1.7), my league scoring (format listed below), and his production last year?

i wouldnt take anything less than a top 2 ... but im a harvin homer.
and a Tebow homer...seem to be a pretty open minded uga fan...didn't know that existed :P

agreed though that a top 1-2 pick for sure...but not sure i like it. Trading 2 proven players (although Brown's injury history is not good) for 1 unproven player is :?

I see Harvin in a similar style as S. Smith, smaller very quick Wr that is built like a brick shithouse and can both run past and over power opposing CB
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 am

Unless I were desperate at RB, I wouldn't move much for Ronnie. He is too injury prone and unreliable to acquire unless he can be had for cheap. Something in the 2nd round might do.

Harvin isn't ever going to be much more than a WR3, so if you can trade him for something worth more than that I would. Whatever you get in return from someone who really likes him you could turn around and deal for a better option.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 am

skip wrote:Unless I were desperate at RB, I wouldn't move much for Ronnie. He is too injury prone and unreliable to acquire unless he can be had for cheap. Something in the 2nd round might do.

Harvin isn't ever going to be much more than a WR3, so if you can trade him for something worth more than that I would. Whatever you get in return from someone who really likes him you could turn around and deal for a better option.
it probably depends on your scoring system, how harvin is ranked. Be won't be a return guy forever, but he has steve smith ability. That translates to WR1 material to me. It's too early to determine if you are I are correct. In the mold of wes welker who is a beast in ppr leagues, but probably quicker and faster. I'm liking the smith/welker mash up. Sounds like quality to me.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 am

hot nikkels wrote:
skip wrote:Unless I were desperate at RB, I wouldn't move much for Ronnie. He is too injury prone and unreliable to acquire unless he can be had for cheap. Something in the 2nd round might do.

it probably depends on your scoring system, how harvin is ranked. Be won't be a return guy forever, but he has steve smith ability. That translates to WR1 material to me. It's too early to determine if you are I are correct. In the mold of wes welker who is a beast in ppr leagues, but probably quicker and faster. I'm liking the smith/welker mash up. Sounds like quality to me.
A year ago he was being compared to Reggie Bush.
Now he is Welker or Steve Smith.

Can't be both. His value will be limited in a system which has AP and Sidney Rice. He'll be ok, but expecting WR1 production is way over the top. He'll be an inconsistent week to week option and someone I would deal away if his ranking is higher than where he will produce.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 am

skip wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:

A year ago he was being compared to Reggie Bush.
Now he is Welker or Steve Smith.

Can't be both. His value will be limited in a system which has AP and Sidney Rice. He'll be ok, but expecting WR1 production is way over the top. He'll be an inconsistent week to week option and someone I would deal away if his ranking is higher than where he will produce.
I watched every game Harvin ever played in college and don't know where the Bush comparisons ever came in other than a versatile ath that can run and catch. Harvin was a 1 cut and go type back that had excellent vision reading holes...would have probably been the best RB in the SEC had he been full time there. He also would have probably been the best WR in the SEC had he been full time there. Very strong for his size, quick burst, good route runner, and great hands. He will be a great full time WR someday. 60 for 790 and 6 TD is a pretty good start for a rookie.
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am

Harvin's rookie year numbers are nearly identical to Desean Jackson's and the skill set is similar.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm

bobbytheo3 wrote:Harvin's rookie year numbers are nearly identical to Desean Jackson's and the skill set is similar.
The skill-set might be similar but the role in the offense isn't. Harvin WR3 (with WR2 upside). Jackson WR1 or WR2, depending on who you ask. I agree with Skip.

Also, Harvin is no Steve Smith (CAR). I'll be curious to know the first game Harvin is ever triple-covered like he was vs. Seattle in the 2005 NFC Championship game. Smith also has played with an enormous chip on his shoulder and is an extremely competitive, fiery guy. I have to see a lot more from Harvin - A LOT more before I'm ready to proclaim him the next Steve Smith (CAR). Their measurables are similar (vertical, 40-time, etc.), with Harvin being taller and heavier by small margin. Personally, I don't view Harvin ever being a #1 WR ever, let alone an elite #1 WR like Smith has been for nearly a decade. And I don't even like Steve Smith. :o
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
bobbytheo3 wrote:Harvin's rookie year numbers are nearly identical to Desean Jackson's and the skill set is similar.
The skill-set might be similar but the role in the offense isn't. Harvin WR3 (with WR2 upside). Jackson WR1 or WR2, depending on who you ask. I agree with Skip.

Also, Harvin is no Steve Smith (CAR). I'll be curious to know the first game Harvin is ever triple-covered like he was vs. Seattle in the 2005 NFC Championship game. Smith also has played with an enormous chip on his shoulder and is an extremely competitive, fiery guy. I have to see a lot more from Harvin - A LOT more before I'm ready to proclaim him the next Steve Smith (CAR). Their measurables are similar (vertical, 40-time, etc.), with Harvin being taller and heavier by small margin. Personally, I don't view Harvin ever being a #1 WR ever, let alone an elite #1 WR like Smith has been for nearly a decade. And I don't even like Steve Smith. :o
I have to say that's a fair assessment. I might be in the minority, but I feel like I might regret getting rid of Harvin. The QB situation after favre worries me some, but harvin IMO has WR1 potential. 3 years will settle this conversation. Good stuff guys!

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 pm

hot nikkels wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

I have to say that's a fair assessment. I might be in the minority, but I feel like I might regret getting rid of Harvin. The QB situation after favre worries me some, but harvin IMO has WR1 potential. 3 years will settle this conversation. Good stuff guys!
i compared harvin to steve smith coming out. and that hasnt changed. i drafted him at 1.3 in one league to make sure i got him.