Which WR would you use as trade bait?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which of these WRs would you use as trade bait?

D.Bowe, KC
17%
M.Crabtree, SF
10%
S.Rice, MIN
40%
B.Marshall, ???
33%

Total votes: 30

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Which WR would you use as trade bait?

Postby The Pyrate » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Looking for input. I'm trying to make some moves and I have a glut of WRs. Which is the best one to put forth as trade bait and why?

I have a trade period available to me and trying to make a move prior to the draft.

Pyrate
THE PYRATES. Terrorizing this league since 2006 - Playoffs (06,07,10,11,13-16,18, 19)
4 Division titles, 5 Superbowls (2006, 2013-2016), 2013 CCFL Champions

QB: D.Watson, T.Bridgewater, C.Newton, AJ.McCarron, J.Hurts-R
RB: D.Henry, K.Drake, A.Dillon-R, D.Evans-R, R.Armstead, D.Lewis, F.Gore, B.Hill, D.Williams, D.Dallas-R,
WR: M.Evans, J.Smith-Schuster, C.Ridley, C.Kirk
TE: T.Kelce, C.Herndon
K: M.Gay, M.Prater
DEF Texans, Seahawks

14-team, 2 division, non-ppr with salary caps. Starts 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, K, DST
Pillage FIRST! THEN burn. Doing it the other way around is pointless.

pvballer3915
Captain
Captain

Postby pvballer3915 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

id go with rice because he had a breakout year and everyone is pretty high on him now. I think his value drops once favre is done.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Marshall. He should get you the most in return and he will always be a suspension risk.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 pm

pvballer3915 wrote:id go with rice because he had a breakout year and everyone is pretty high on him now. I think his value drops once favre is done.
I agree for the most part, but my reasoning for trading Rice out of your list is because the other three appear to be the real deal compared to how little I've seen of Rice. I think if the value is up on a player like this it gives you the best overall upgrade.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Marshall. He should get you the most in return and he will always be a suspension risk.
I picked Marshall too....but mostly because wherever Marshall goes he wont be as much of a focal point to the offense as he is in Denver.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:55 pm

I would be open minded about it. I would try to find a team that as something you want or need and see which WR, if any, that he would be more interested. Different owners will value each WR differently, unless you are talking Fitz, AJ etc and you're not.
Or put an "On The Block" and see who offers what for who! Each of those WR's hve value. You just need to find the right owner to maximize your return!

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

You might be able to find a guy who is steal completely sold on Crabtree. Hey he still wasnt that bad given time off etc. With a full season I think he still has a high ceiling. Therefore my thoughts might be more "conditional" based on the condition that you find the guy high on Crabtree ..then you would get real good value.

quick edit" I also based this on the premise that you would really really want to even trade any of them. and with that being said I considred Crabtree based on the condition stated previously in this post AND that I wouldnt want to let BMarsh or SRice go...

just a quick clarification.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Marshall. He should get you the most in return and he will always be a suspension risk.
I picked Marshall too....but mostly because wherever Marshall goes he wont be as much of a focal point to the offense as he is in Denver.
I chose Marshall because of both of these reasons. Plus, he's my least favorite player of those listed. :P

-oo-

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 pm

yumbo wrote:I would be open minded about it. I would try to find a team that as something you want or need and see which WR, if any, that he would be more interested. Different owners will value each WR differently, unless you are talking Fitz, AJ etc and you're not.
Or put an "On The Block" and see who offers what for who! Each of those WR's hve value. You just need to find the right owner to maximize your return!
I think that this would be my approach to it. If I was in your league and saw an "On The Block" label on this group, I'd have a tough time deciding who to make offers on but guarantee you'd get offers. Good group of WRs, IMO, so you should get a wide variety of offers that puts you in the driver's seat.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I went with Rice over Marshall because Rice's perceived value is higher than his actual value and there is some uncertainty around MIN QB situation. Without Favre is Rice still as valuable? If Favre retires (doubtful) I'm not convinced Rice's numbers will be nearly as good as last year. Marshall is a flake but he is uber talented and I'm a Marshall homer. I think no matter where Marshall lands he will be the #1 option with 100/1200/8 potential.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 pm

rkrazy wrote:I went with Rice over Marshall because Rice's perceived value is higher than his actual value and there is some uncertainty around MIN QB situation. Without Favre is Rice still as valuable? If Favre retires (doubtful) I'm not convinced Rice's numbers will be nearly as good as last year. Marshall is a flake but he is uber talented and I'm a Marshall homer. I think no matter where Marshall lands he will be the #1 option with 100/1200/8 potential.
Totally agree with you here, I think people are a bit too high on Rice and too low on Marshall right now. I think Rice works a lot better as "trade bait" for you, and be patient with Marshall as his situation is still up in the air right now.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:based this on the premise that you would really really want to even trade any of them
Yeah, I like my WR group. Don't really want to trade any of them. Currently leading with Hinds Ward and Brent Celek as trade bait, but have had no bites. I'm looking for a way to make a move to help holes at RB. One of the four above may be my best bet.
yumbo wrote:Or put an "On The Block" and see who offers what for who! Each of those WR's hve value. You just need to find the right owner to maximize your return!
I do like this approach. Although, I may hold off until closer to our rookie draft (June) and try that.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 pm

rkrazy wrote:I went with Rice over Marshall because Rice's perceived value is higher than his actual value and there is some uncertainty around MIN QB situation. Without Favre is Rice still as valuable? If Favre retires (doubtful) I'm not convinced Rice's numbers will be nearly as good as last year. Marshall is a flake but he is uber talented and I'm a Marshall homer. I think no matter where Marshall lands he will be the #1 option with 100/1200/8 potential.
Interesting point about Marshall that will actually help put Sidney's case into better perspective. Last year many of you were probably saying these same things about Marshall's numbers when Cutler left town - "he cant do it without Cutler", "he's a knucklehead" etc, etc.....and many of you were wrong, just like many of you will be wrong about Rice. Not ALL talented WR's produce stud numbers with great QB's. And not all talented WR's do bad with lesser quality QB's. IN ADDITION its not just about the fact that he produced it was the way he did it....

lets compare the playoff performances of
Desean Jackson vs the Cowboys (3-14-1)
to
Sidney Rice vs the Cowboys (6-141-3)

Both had prolific offenses, both had solid QB's, yet Sidney Rice not just outdid DJax by a little, but COMPLETELY CRUSHED him. There is a clear disparity in ability here that many people are not giving Rice due credit for. In order for Marshall to get 100 receptions he needs to be THEE CENTER of the offense...and i literally sat down and thought about what team would make him THEE CENTER of their offense, and not one team came to mind....thus if he leaves Denver, I expect his production will go down, but since a lot of people dont really expect that to happen that makes Marshall the best answer here from my perspective.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
Interesting point about Marshall that will actually help put Sidney's case into better perspective. Last year many of you were probably saying these same things about Marshall's numbers when Cutler left town - "he cant do it without Cutler", "he's a knucklehead" etc, etc.....and many of you were wrong, just like many of you will be wrong about Rice. Not ALL talented WR's produce stud numbers with great QB's. And not all talented WR's do bad with lesser quality QB's. IN ADDITION its not just about the fact that he produced it was the way he did it....

to

Both had prolific offenses, both had solid QB's, yet Sidney Rice not just outdid DJax by a little, but COMPLETELY CRUSHED him. There is a clear disparity in ability here that many people are not giving Rice due credit for. In order for Marshall to get 100 receptions he needs to be THEE CENTER of the offense...and i literally sat down and thought about what team would make him THEE CENTER of their offense, and not one team came to mind....thus if he leaves Denver, I expect his production will go down, but since a lot of people dont really expect that to happen that makes Marshall the best answer here from my perspective.
Sounds like you are making the argument for Rice being the better "trade bait" then, considering if he were trading with you, you would likely go after Rice instead of Marshall and try to get a slightly cheaper deal right? On the Marshall front, Whether or not Marshall is considered to be "THEE CENTER" of the Offense, he has still produced stud numbers with 2 different Offenses and 2 different QBs, it helps him now that 2 of the main teams interested in him now include his former coach (Shanny in Washington) and former O coordinator (Bates in Seattle), so there could very well be some familiarity for him, and much less likely he'll clash with his coaches. I would think that any fantasy owners trying to trade for Marshall with the owner here are trying to do so at a big discount "buy low"' opportunity, in which case its better for this owner to hold on to Marshall and shop Sid Rice around and to see if someone will overpay. A team is much more likely to overpay in a trade for Rice than a trade for Marshall right now IMO.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 am

Shawn wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:

to

Sounds like you are making the argument for Rice being the better "trade bait" then, considering if he were trading with you, you would likely go after Rice instead of Marshall and try to get a slightly cheaper deal right? On the Marshall front, Whether or not Marshall is considered to be "THEE CENTER" of the Offense, he has still produced stud numbers with 2 different Offenses and 2 different QBs, it helps him now that 2 of the main teams interested in him now include his former coach (Shanny in Washington) and former O coordinator (Bates in Seattle), so there could very well be some familiarity for him, and much less likely he'll clash with his coaches. I would think that any fantasy owners trying to trade for Marshall with the owner here are trying to do so at a big discount "buy low"' opportunity, in which case its better for this owner to hold on to Marshall and shop Sid Rice around and to see if someone will overpay. A team is much more likely to overpay in a trade for Rice than a trade for Marshall right now IMO.
Well no many people dont share my doubts about Marshall...and many more people dont share my hope for Rice...What I was saying is that Rice is more of a hold than a sell...because not many people are going to give you his dynasty values worth because of all this sense of doubt surrounding him. Marshall on the other hand is a sell in my mind because I think if he leaves no situation is going to be as good for him statistically as it was in Denver where he was the focal point.

So while I see Marshall's value as dropping, I see Rice's as steady...however, many PERCEIVE it as being the other way around...thus why i voted Marshall.